Team politics (Merkel & Ozil raus!)

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by The Jitty Slitter, Jun 11, 2018.

1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Good article on the failings of DFB

Google translate

Of course, a lot of double standards are involved. However, it is already testament to a certain audacity that the DFB has voluntarily decided on Saudi Arabia as an opponent for the final pre-tournament friendly game - a country that was not exactly recommended to represent particularly democratic values. And nobody has major problems defending the world title in Russia, of all places. A boycott was never seriously discussed. How serious can you even take a federation that has not taken quite so well with the right faithfulness in the past and who has still not been able to explain what happened with 6.7 million euros, around the 2006 World Cup in Germany have disappeared? A value compass can not only be turned on and off when needed. The DFB has largely forfeited its role as a moral authority and should not prohibit any demand from anyone. As team manager Oliver Bierhoff tried on the ARD.

It would be all the more important to be open and honest with the dialogue. And not leave the field to the populists and right-wing pied pipers. It would be desirable if the football finally cleared up with the misunderstanding that it was not political. It would be even more desirable for players to speak out clearly and, in the case of Erdogan, to oppose a policy of oppression. Athletes in general and footballers in particular are not responsible for saving the world single-handedly. They are ambassadors of a country and can not completely escape responsibility.

And that's exactly what you must and must be allowed to talk about. Without a "Basta".

https://rp-online.de/sport/fussball...-ilkay-guendogan-pfeifen-erlaubt_aid-23322461

2. Karl-Heinz Riedle

Aug 27, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Any source?

3. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  4. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  5. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    DFB have cocked this up big time.

6. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Can't find your point in the article though.

Auch in der Mannschaft ist über die Aktion von Özil und Gündoğan diskutiert worden. Offenkundig haben nicht alle ihr Verhalten gutgeheißen, es gab Vorwürfe. Aber dann wurde zumindest im Mannschaftsrat beschlossen, dass die beiden zum Team gehören und deswegen auch die Solidarität des Teams spüren sollen. Mario Gomez sprach von einem "Fehler" der beiden und nahm speziell den besonders gebeutelten Gündoğan in Schutz: "Er hat nichts Böses getan, im Sinne von: jemandem weh getan. Jetzt haben heute alle ihre Meinung gesagt, und wir wissen, dass das nicht gut angekommen ist in Deutschland." Auch Kapitän Manuel Neuer machte Werbung für Gündogan: "Es war ein guter Schritt von İlkay, dass er sich gestellt und Stellung bezogen hat."

Gomez wünscht sich, dass die Diskussion nun, da die Spiele demnächst beginnen, an ihr Ende kommt. Die Kommentatoren sollten in der Debatte "nicht spalten, sondern eine Brücke bauen, damit wir mit anderen Gedanken in die WM gehen können". Selten ist eine deutsche Mannschaft mit so vielen demütigen Appellen zum Turnier aufgebrochen.

Bottom line: the incident was discussed and checked off. Several important players defended both as part of the team afterwards. You just want to see the team split up, which is pretty sad. What could be better than the team discussing the issue and then get the monkey off the back? You're probably not interested in the team at all, you just wanna spread your agenda.

Jeez, even Angela Merkel defended both today saying that the discussion is way off any proportion.

Have you asked yourself why you can't read almost anything from Arsenal and ManC about it? Both represented their clubs at the meeting handing over their shirts.

Rosebud repped this.
  7. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think evidently the opposite is true. You dont want to see the obvious cause it doesnt fit your agenda. You are grasping straws at the fact that SZ is being their usual understating politeness. Not well liked means they were heavily criticized

8. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I criticized both right from the beginning for it and that it was a very stupid thing to do. But you should really consider the principle of proportionality here. What's about Angela Merkel's quote? Will this make sense for you at least?

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  9. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I dont care about her opinion. You know that others got kicked for much less. I am the one calling for equal treatment here

10. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yea and others weren't kicked for much more, like Podolski slapping the capitano. If you detach on the hurt feeelings and patriotism, Angela Merkel's quote can be not ignored, can it? I mean, if even the cancellor as one of the highest representatives of the country says that the incident is blown out of proportion that has to mean anything for you?

11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    My reading of the SZ article is the opposite.

Tough words were had within the group and team management believed this was an issue to deal with within the family and that they had dealt with it.

But then Friday revealed that the public weren't happy to be fobbed off and that caught both the team leaders and management by surprise.

So now because the misjudged the mood - they have a big problem which no doubt causes resentment within the team

12. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Where have you that from? Not the sz Artikel?!

13. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    So the reaction was not expected

and

hard words were had within the family, but management decided that was the end of it, and the team should show solidarity

So the problem is that the evasiveness has led to a PR disaster

And now i would be willing to bet there is some ill feeling at Ozil and Dawg for causing this

14. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    You are not thinking this through at all

AfD have already called for them to be kicked out of the team for want of germaness

If both the turkish players get dropped before the world cup you are handing a massive victory to the racists and confirm the suspicions of millions of Turks

you would trash all the DFB's integration efforts to date and light a race relations dumpster fire

Dage repped this.
  15. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Before 2016 they tried to bully Boateng, now it's like christmas and eastern on the same day for them. You could see that a multikulti National Team makes them really pissed.

16. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I dont care about political correctness either. I care about fairness and democratic values. If AfD profit from this it is the fault of others not calling out the obvious injustice and inacceptable

17. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    #17 The Jitty Slitter, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    All the turkish community see is a stadium filled with whiteys booing the turk

That is why I've said all along that its easy to climb on a high horse and enforce "german standards" on the brown guy but the immigrant community don't see those high standards being adhered to by large sections of the "Real Germans" - especially those in parliament named AfD

If you want to blow up race relations in this country, sacking the two turks from the team for their political views is how to do it.

18. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You guys are dripping with the fear someone could make racism out of this obvious failure. Wake up and stop tolerating intolerance and you'll do far better in todays world

19. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    AfD already made racism out of it. And that's the kind of thing brown skinned people and immigrants in this country deal with every day.

Maybe its because I am an immigrant that i am more aware of it.

So its fine for KHR to sell out the world cup for 2 rolexes to a country that murders the stadium workers, but a Turk does a photo op with the Turkish President who was there for a photo op with Theresa May gets strung up.

I am glad the DFB cracked down on this and I hope no one is dumb enough to do it again. But part of the problem is when we have epic racists like Donald Trump & AfD running around, then of course many Turks won't see much wrong with supporting their own despot.

I don't tolerate Erdogan.

But also Gundawg is not Erdogan. he didn't lock up any journalists or destroy liberties or even do any racism.

or are we saying that any AfD supporting players need to be kicked out of the team?

because that is some slope to get on.

Dage repped this.
  20. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Bs DFB did shit. Out of the same fear they set an example that you can pull shit as far as making a picture with a foreign dictator without the risk of getting kicked out. Thats the only underlying result. AfD celebrate either way. Win?

Congrats!

21. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Mods is it possible to create a separate thread for this topic.

22. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It’s a topic worthy of a separate thread.

23. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In my experience when there is a personal problem in a team environment and the Management declares that the infighting must end, the only result is that instead of openly discussing the issues all parties involved become more resentful.

If players in the team were angered by the actions of Gundogan and Oezil, simply telling everyone to drop it and show solidarity solves nothing.

24. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    A place to discuss the Ozil and Gundogan fiasco, and any other political banter

arthur d, Minttunator and nekkibasara repped this.
  25. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    lol this is why effe is such a legend. Most people would have let it go at some point over the past two decades, but not effe. He's still as bitter about it as the day he was kicked off the NT team :ROFLMAO:

Our team is better now than it was earlier in my life, but part of me does miss just how fueled by hatred & pettiness the likes of Effe, Lodar & Kahn used to be [/nostalgia]