Team Nickname

Discussion in 'Rochester Rhinos' started by Gioca, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would it be possible to get rid of the "Raging Rhinos" for this team? I think just calling the team "Rochester" would be so much better for the organization, especially fans outside of the city where the name doesn't exactly sound cool. Of course, I'm an outsider so I don't know the complete story.

"Rochester FC" looks awesome.

2. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either "Rochester Raging Rhinos" or "Rochester Rhinos" sounds just fine.

-G

3. the cup

the cup Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    There are alot of R's in Rochester Raging Rhinos, you'd have to admit.

Don't the fans in Rochester usually leave out Raging anyway?

4. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL

Those names sound like WUSA/WNBA names. :p

I agree, Rochester FC sounds very professional, simple, and just plain cool. I'm down with that.

5. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    I'm in the camp saying the move up isn't going to happen though I'd love to see a sold-out SSS in MLS.

Don't see the "Ragin" part making it into MLS. A generic team name like FC, etc with the "unofficial" nickname like Ragin Rhinos might work well.

6. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the team was ever to join MLS, then keeping the team-name as "Rochester Rhinos" would be ideal.

After all, there's already a lot of history for the franchise behind the name (heck, they even won the 1999 US Open Cup as the Rhinos), and it's an American-enough name without sounding cheesy (it actually rolls off the tongue).

Bottom line is that if the team does get promotedbesides dropping the "Ragin" part, there's really no good reason to change the team-name... the same reason why I'd want a promoted Seattle Sounders team to remain named the Seattle Sounders.

-G

7. ZiggyGalaxy

ZiggyGalaxy New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Don't forget AYSO...

8. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Here's a newsflash. I agree with Goodsport.

The difference between a bad team name and a traditional team name is time and success.

Really, think about it. The f-ing Red Sox? (and I'm a born supporter of the Sox). Blue Jays? Phillies? PHILLIES?

I think Tottenham Hotspur FC is one of the most ridiculous names in sports. It's a marketing millstone. But no one cares, you know why? It's got history.

The Rhinos are the name of the team. Deal with it.

New Teams? SURE! Name 'em FC New City, or "SomeCity" United, or "BlahBlah" Athletic. But we've gotten rid of the really bad names in MLS - let's not go overboard and load up on FC's. Some people like the "Wizards". I like the "Galaxy".

9. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    I am sure that the name will remain the same since the Rhinos are successfully branded. Yes, it is a bit different than a United, Athletic, Racing, FC, SC, etc. People calling for this type of change could potentially earn the moniker of Eurotrolling Sock Puppet Wannabee.

10. RhinosBoy21

RhinosBoy21 New Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Rochester NY, but or
    I talked to a high official on the Rhinos and he told me if Rochester ever makes MLS they will be called the "RHINOS" and said most likey they would drop the "Ragin". He said MLS talked already about it with ownership but Rhinos owners quickly shutdown any chance of changing the name. We became great as the Rhinos and we will go into MLS as RHINOS!

11. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

Rochester Rhinos is good as is.

No stupid-ass FC Real Rochester United crap. We've already got that "traditional" stuff covered in MLS.

12. SC in SF

SC in SF Member

Nov 18, 2004
    SF
    I think MLS can have both types of names, either American style names like San Jose Earthquakes or European style names like FC Dallas. It's boring to have one type so why not mix it up.

13. mouseboy33

mouseboy33 New Member

Dec 24, 2003
    As with all crappy teams (i.e. Galaxy, Wizards) I think they should retain the mascot name for fan use only. I dont think it should officially be used on team kits and such. For the Ragin' Rhinos, I think there is no question that the cheesy "Ragin'" moniker should be axed now! As far as the Rhino's, yeah the team should still be known as the Rhino's. But I dont think it should be part of the offical name. A tasteful and classy use of a rhino in the crest would help bring the club up-market. The fans would still use the Rhino's nickname but the team should only have Rochester Soccer Club on their office documents and on Kits and correspondence.But again the Rhino would still identify the club in the use of the logo and a mascot running around on the field (that is if they currently have on). But name Rochester Rhinos would not appear anywhere on the club ground (Paetec park) or on any advertisements. But the classy use of Rhino would solidify the nickname.

This an approach that is used by other clubs around the world. (ie Red Devils - Manchester Utd FC, The Toon - Newcastle Utd FC)

I think a similar approach should be used with teams that have unfortunate names. I think a total re-branding of the club would be a mistake, but the current, minor league style name doesnt "fit" with soccer in general. I think this would be a good settlement between the soccer traditionalist and the insular american flag waver supporters.

14. Gioca

Gioca Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Hartford
    Club:
    US Città di Palermo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally agree. I think it would be great if the team had a nickname that the fans use, but I have to admit that I would be hesitant to wear a jersey that has a silly picture of a rhino or even the word "rhinos" on it in public. If the jersey just said Rochester on it I think many more people would buy it.

15. mouseboy33

mouseboy33 New Member

Dec 24, 2003
    I actually think that the names (nickname/city) that are currently splashed across the kits should be axed. They have a whiff of desparation to it.

16. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    Question to all exhorting the Rochester Raging Rhinos to change their name...How many Rhino matches have you attended?

Collectively, I would be surprised if I was able to use more than one hand, much less a single digit.

Until you become a paying customer, your feedback will probably be considered "nice" and not "necessary". In other words, you will probably be politely ignored.

17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Bleacherbutt again.

-G

18. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto

19. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

United States
    May 9, 2003
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :sigh:
    :rolleyes:
    The Rhinos already have a little bit of tradition with their name; Rochester Rhinos is fine and what the local fans are used to. I don't think it's a huge deal to take out the Raging part for the local fans, but to the national soccer fans and MLS, yes. I can understand that and agree with it. Why do we have to copy everywhere else just to satisfy Europosers/Eurosnobs/Latinsnobs (I mean reall, how stupid is Real Salt Lake), who apparently don't really care for MLS anyways, and who's real beef is likely level of play rather than naming? We have our own naming conventions in the US (sure there are exceptions, but in general they are fine, as long as we keep Nike away from naming), and again, we've already got that covered with FCD, CDC, RSL, DCU, etc.

20. mouseboy33

mouseboy33 New Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Yeah because FC DALLAS is american as apple pie :rolleyes:

21. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

United States
    May 9, 2003
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That could be why I am against the name.

Did I say it was American?
    No, actually I stated the opposite.

Read. Comprehend. Decipher acronyms.

Idiot.

I guess that might be a little much for you though.

I have just happened to follow them from way back when they were called the Dallas Burn (which is American in style, but just as bad as FC Dallas, maybe worse)

22. Feedooch

Feedooch New Member

May 14, 2004
    I agree that we should change our official name from the Rochester Raging Rhinos to the Rochester Rhinos. The team is too developed and emotionally tied to the Rhino name but, the Raging must go, it sounds like some kids league name. Besides, the fans refer to them as the Rhinos and their accomplishments all came under the Rhino name. Out with the raging in with the Rochester Rhinos!!

23. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas

I'm a soccer fan living in Syracuse, and can tell you that the Rochester Raging Rhinos is a recognized franchise in upstate NY. Most sports fans here know of the Rhinos, even if they had no clue Syracuse also had an A-league team (The Salty Dogs, imagine that one in MLS). It would be lunacy to change from the Rhinos. Personally, I think it makes them unique and different. How many other Rhinos are there, while there are 5000 "Wildcats" out there. Let's just take out the Ragin' part, and leave it as is.

By the way, you'll see very few Rhinos fans wanting a change. The fans here like it, which is really what matters right?

24. mouseboy33

mouseboy33 New Member

Dec 24, 2003
    A repost for those that CAN'T read.

25. Brian in Boston

Brian in Boston Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    MA & CA, USA
    After having read - and participated in - countless "American-style vs. International-style Naming" threads, I believe that the subject can best be summed up with a poem my grandmother use to recite to me on the eve of major matches:

"International" name,
    "Traditional" kit,
    It don't matter at all,
    If the team plays like $hit.

The success or failure of professional soccer in the United States does not hinge on whether or not our pro teams imitate international club sides with regard to nomenclature and wardrobe. If pro soccer teams in the United States play competitive, entertaining matches, and can draw crowds to see them, the sport will have a future in this country... regardless of whether the franchises are named FC Cleveland United, the San Antonio Stingerz or the Orlando All-Star Pikachu Circle-Jerk. Regardless of whether the franchises wear "hooped" jerseys with tiny badges on the upper left chest, neon lime-green jerseys with large cartoon mascot logos in the middle of the chest or skin-tight vinyl tank-tops with nipple-exposing holes cut in the chest.

To paraphrase James Carville: "It's the quality of play, stupid."

Period.