Team names

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by IHaveWorms, Jun 3, 2010.

?

Soccer team names: International or american version?

1. FC, AC, Real

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nicknames

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I couldn't care less as long as the city/area is included.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. IHaveWorms

IHaveWorms Member

May 6, 2010
    Berlin, Germany
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Hello,

first of all: i suppose my question might be old and has been posted before. But forum-people come and go and i dont have the nerves to use the search function.

as a long time MLS-follower i asked myself what kind of name is appropriate for a soccer club in the US.

1. The "international" versions: FC, AC, Real etc.
    2. the "american" version: City+Nickname

I personally have always envied american sport teams for the nickname version. I think that whole "FC"-thing is just a result of lack of imagination. When soccer clubs in europe and other parts of the world were founded 100 years ago the founders didn't think of something better than a dull "FC"-solution because they just didn't reflect on this whole name-thing well enough. Some did (e.g Wanderers, Rovers, Internationale, Borussia etc) but many others did not. Ok some are no classic nicknames (Borussia, Inter, Hertha, Ajax) but they all have something unique.

I would give away my grandma just for the chance to cheer for a team in my country with a tough masculine agressive nickname like "Rowdies" or "Raging Rhinos" or "Roughnecks". I personally would rename my team to "Berlin Bonecrushers" if i were the owner.

And i would rename some MLS clubs:

1. Chivas USA: For gods sake ===> LA Aztecs or LA Chivas
    2. Real Salt Lake: Just sad. What were they thinking? ===> Utah Blitzz
    3. FC Dallas ==> Dallas Burn
    4. Toronto FC ==> Toronto Blizzard
    5. New York RedBulls ==> MetroStars ==> attendance +3000 per game

And think about it: If there will someday a second NY-Team it will be the last chance to revive the cosmos-name. There won't be three NY/NJ-Teams in MLS. So when the Redbulls not get relocated or dissolved and the second NY-team is branded as FC-somewhat then a great opputunity would be wasted.

So what kind of soccer type a you? Soccer purist with a strong europoserism attitude or someone who thinks that good old american sport team-name tradition is something that works for soccer too?

2. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    I would rename Bayer Leverkusen ===> Tylenol Leverkusen

1 person likes this.
  3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here in the "MLS Commissioner" forum, you can propose renaming the teams to your hearts content - as The Don (Don Garber).

4. Ajas

Ajas Member

Sep 23, 2009
    3eattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    DC United ---------> St Louis Wanderers

5. RaveGreen

RaveGreen Member

Seattle Sounders FC
    Apr 6, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Why would Chivas want to take a name associated with their rival Club America?

6. PattysCow

PattysCow Member+

Apr 4, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    As much as i dont care for the name "Real Salt Lake" I would take that over "Blitzz" anyday.

7. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    FC isn't a "nickname" It just means football club, and describes the organisation. Every single football club in the world where they call the game football has FC as part of its official name. It's pretty redundant, which is why games in England aren't billed as Arsenal FC v Everton FC.

The "standard" is actually to have no name at all beyond the name of the town/city.

And you are actually wrong about a lack of imagination. Early football clubs in England had some wild a wacky names for clubs in the early days, and it was turning professional that made clubs change from being, for example, "Black Arabs" and become Bristol Rovers instead.

8. IHaveWorms

IHaveWorms Member

May 6, 2010
    Berlin, Germany
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    No offense but you didn't read this whole post correctly. Did i say that "FC" is a nickname??? And trust me,yet before i wrote this i knew that FC stands for football club.

Not really. Maybe every english football club. But alone 12 out of 18 clubs in german Bundesliga do not have FC (or an equivalent in german language) as part of their official name. And so don't have other teams in other domestic leagues.

Club America is playing in Stadio Azteca but they are not the "Aztecs" but the "Águilas" (The Eagles). LA Aztecs was an famous NASL-team from the 70'.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_Aztecs

9. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The point is that there's a tendency to view FC as part of the name of the club, as in "we can't think of a name like United or Rovers or Raging Rhinos, so we'll add FC instead"

Adding FC all the time is like referring to Microsoft as "Microsoft Corp." all the time. All those initials around the names of German/Italian clubs etc are the same thing, normally derivates of sports club. They weren't added because someone thought it sounded good.

10. RaveGreen

RaveGreen Member

Seattle Sounders FC
    Apr 6, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders

There is a world beyond Wikipedia.

I may be wrong here but I believe the LA Aztecs ownership at one time included someone from Club America.

That would be enough to spoil the brand from a Chivas perspective.

11. Flex Buffchest

Jan 25, 2010
    Orange County, California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would rather have LA Aztecs than Chivas USA. But Utah Blitzz should just be put down forever, that is a horrible name. While I do agree that just adding a United and Real in names to make it sound European is making it less American and just look like copying, some of the names we've used are horrible. Utah Blitzz and Dallas Burn being examples. I'm OK with a good mix of both.

12. babieca

babieca Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aztex is taken.

Blitzz is ridiculous.

13. IHaveWorms

IHaveWorms Member

May 6, 2010
    Berlin, Germany
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Yes the Aztex but not the Aztecs.

Would be cool in an US-Open-Game: Aztex vs Aztecs

14. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually like our mix of "traditional" soccer names with "American" ones. Australia's league, Japan's, and South Korea's do the same thing. In the so-called "new soccer nations" FC Seoul coexists with the Chunnam Dragons, Adelaide United plays the Peth Glory, FC Tokyo faces off against the Kashima Antlers, and DC United shares a league with the San Jose Earthquakes. Its all good.

Japan has their own "Real Salt Lake" names (sort of) with two teams playing under names that involve Italian (Kawasaki Frontale and Sanfrecce Hiroshima).

1 person likes this.
  15. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    And the greatest nickname of all time.

Chievo Verona, fondly known by their supporters as the Flying Donkeys. Classic.

On Topic

There are some names I absolutely love in MLS. Some I abhor. I think we've come a long way since the Venereal Disease Symptom Cup battled out between the Clash and the Burn.

I think Real Salt Lake is pretty damn silly when I think about it. But RSL kinda rolls off the tongue, so I call them that or simply call them Salt Lake.

The Chicago Fire is one of the coolest names in sports if you ask me.

Chivas USA is an atrocity, but I also know that it isn't going anywhere so I move past it.

Philly Union is cool, I'm biased, but its cool. DC United has been around long enough where the tradition of it rings true to me.

If the Wizards is good enough for the NBA its good enough for MLS.

I really with that politician in Houston had read a history book about her own damn culture before she went on a witch hunt regarding 1836, but the Dynamo has grown on me.

I think the Sounders is a dumb name, but it sure as shit resonates with the local community. Timbers is cool. So is the Whitecaps.

The Quakes and FC Dallas aren't my favorites, but are so much better than their original names.

So yes. There are some really dumb names in the league. There are some really sweet names. There are others that are Meh. If you don't like a team's nickname, just refer them by the city. Simple solution.

16. irishman

irishman Member

Sep 4, 2003
    Northern Ireland
    I quite like Dynamo - but given the presence of a steam train on much of houston's iconography, I'd have thought Locomotive Houston - fondly referred to as the Locos - would have simply fit the city better.

Philly Union is simply perfect for them. I'm actually coming round to Red Bulls too, oddly - if it wasn't for the Energy drink, and if the team had a liverpool style all red strip, it would be really good name!

Of course legacy teams like Seattle, Vancouver Portland and Montreal should keep their old names- there is a reason there is a legacy there!

Personally I don't see why Chivas USA couldn't simply be Chivas LA - would solve a problem.

And if we ever get a Minnesota team - it has to be North Star Minnesota.

17. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Not sure if the Minnesota Northstars name is still under copyright, but it probably is.

18. eintracht.19

eintracht.19 New Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Toms River, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, that's stupid, aztec(x)s is taken. And I think the NHL has the rights to defunct team names, i don't know why, I think I heard that on NHLArena about the Whalers stuff. The stars wouldn't have the rights tho, I don't think.

But that is a cool name, if they stuck with the old color scheme too they would draw realllyyyy well. I think any minnesota native would be stoked to be able to cheer for north star and the wild without conflict of interest.

But that could also be a ridiculous kick in the dick to the NHL, Minnesota and both their respective histories, I don't know.

19. irishman

irishman Member

Sep 4, 2003
    Northern Ireland
    Well, Minnesota is officially the North Star state - can any sports team really copyright something THAT much part of the public domain - they can certainly copyright Minnesota NorthStars - but it isn't the same as copyrighting every reference to North Star and minnesota in the same vicinity-and given the partiuclar history of clubs called Red Start whatever or Blue Star whatever - add FC or SC if you need to - it makes sense - it is both quite european for 'eurosnobs' yet completely and uniquely american

P.s. I'd love Club America to set up a team in San Antonio - just so it would be called Club America San Antonio - or CASA for short - I can even see the commercials - for the English speaking - "America's Club - CA San Antonio" - for spanish speakers "Mi C.A.S.A., Su C.A.S.A." - change the logo a little so the map is of Texas rather than the Americas.

You know I could do this all day! Funky team names and funky logos rock!

20. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You know that at one point the Canadian Football League had the Rough Riders, the Roughriders, and the imminent arrival of the Riders existing at the same time (Ottawa, Sasketchewan, and San Antonio resepctively although S.A. did change their name before joining)?

Ah, the CFL. Such a strange league. Best nickname in pro sports though: the Argonauts. I hate Toronto, but that is one incredible team name.

21. IHaveWorms

IHaveWorms Member

May 6, 2010
    Berlin, Germany
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    No, best team Name had an old NASL Team: "Team America" :D
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_America_(NASL)

22. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's trademark, not copyright. And yes, if the NHL, or the Dallas Stars franchise, still holds a valid trademark for "Minnesota North Stars," then you can't name a team North Star Minnesota for the same reason you can't name a team Eagle Philadelphia, nor can you market a new soft drink called Cola-Coca.

23. soccerbetic

soccerbetic Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one thing you definitely have to say for the mls wizards compared to the nba is that at least kc has some reference towards the name and the image

24. irishman

irishman Member

Sep 4, 2003
    Northern Ireland
    On TM v Copyright - yes, of course you're right, my sloppiness.

On the main point though the difference between the philadelphia eagles and Coke is that those names were invented by the inventors with no back history - In Philadelphia, and in football in general Eagles means Football, in Soft Drinks Coke means Coca-cola, it doesn't mean anything else. Mind you, it soesn't stop the Crystal Palace from being the Eagles, and it doesn't stop the use of the Word Coke for fuel.

But in minnesota, "North Star" has a meaning far predating the Hockey team. It wasn't invented by the hockey team.

I suspect NSC avoided it, not because they thought they'd lose a court action, but rather to avoid the costs of one altogether, even a winning one.

" other possiblities then

Star of the North FC (A bit like Queen of the South in Scotland - not my favourite)
    Star of Minnesota (like Heart of Midlothian - again not my favourite)

Polaris (SC) Minnesota (Polaris being the proper name of the North Star) - allowing the unoficial nickname to be the "northstars"

25. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i don't think it's too much to ask for the name to be:

1) somewhat original
    2) ties to the region that the team is in.

When you put FC on there or especially AC or Real, it's obvious you're just stuck up europe's butt. it's like saying oh we are so inferior to you europeans please grace us with your fairy magic dust names so that we too can play soccer as good as you one day.

Chivas USA is just stupid. I could have handled Los Angeles Chivas or even Club Deportivo Los Angeles and have the team try to market to mexican-americans only. personally though, i'd rather them come up with something a little more unique like Los Angeles Diablos or hell even Club Diablos de Los Angeles...or something of that ring to it.

Well, i don't know what went wrong with Real Salt Lake...but it's obvious an ass kissing towards Real Madrid. You could easily fix that problem by adding a "g" and call them Regal Salt Lake and you can still keep the RSL name.

FC Dallas? well the only football team i know of even Dallas are the cowboys and i'm a soccer fan. what'd you think the average fan thinks? Call them the Dallas Toros or the Dallas Hoops even...but people who associate football with Dallas think the NFL and the Cowboys.

Toronto FC can call themselves whatever they want...they're canadians. i expect a eurocentric name from them.

i would harp on DC United, but hey they can say something with that name. say we're in the capitol of the UNITED states. i'll give them that.

I like team names like the Crew and Union. it's original and it still sounds good. personally, i'd say they have the two best team names in the league. Others that fall in the best team name are the Galaxy (only because its supposed to be full of "stars" as corny as it is), Earthquakes, Sounders, Revolution, Fire, Timbers, and Whitecaps. Those are original and tie to the region that they're in. that's what a team name is supposed to do...not say guys let's try and copycat europe.

Wizards and Rapids...are all aright too. true, Dynamo is also a european copycat but it doesn't scream it so it's not that bad.

In the USSF D-2 and the old NASL,

Charleston Battery is an awesome name! Austin AzteCS would have been good if they wouldn't have tried to get cute with it. Puerto Rico Islanders is good. Who can't like a team name like the Rochester Ragin Rhinos. The Cosmos was on the money because it worked for them. They didn't need New York United to be famous...all that mattered what was on the field. Tulsa Roughnecks is classic.

for future team names,

Detroit Arsenal, although a copycat, would work "The Arsenal of Democracy". At least it ties to the area!!!

Pittsburgh Iron would work.

Atlanta Firebirds or Atlanta Locomotives would work.

I personally like Arizona Apache but they too could go with Arizona Firebirds.

I like Tampa Bay Rowdies, but if the team is outside Tampa Bay...maybe they could use the team name "Armada." That's a unique name that would work there.

San Antonio Crocketeers works for San Antonio.

just name the team something original and something that ties to that specific area. for example, i'd rather go with Atlanta FC anyday over damn Atlanta Yankees or would that be Atlanta Damn Yankees.

and i could go on and on, but the point is that i think we should stick with the american way of doing things because that's what we do...that's why we left europe so we could do things OUR way. soccer is a sport...why can't we enjoy the sport on our terms? There is nothing unique or cute about putting a FC behind the team name and say well just let the nickname develop overtime. yeah right, a few losers will come up with some cheesy nickname like the Hoops (no offense, Dallas fans) because there are hoops on the uniform and the team will be stuck with that forever...that's hardly original. to me, that diminishes the great and unique history dallas has.

Anyways, name the teams whatever you want. I am not trying to offend anyone by attacking their team name or their preference to be a euro clone. i am merely offering my opinion, and i understand that MLS fans will NEVER come to an agreement on team names.