Team Name

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by socceriscoolusa, Nov 1, 2003.

1. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It might be niche in other parts of the country but not in LA or even to some extent all of cali. From the food, language and The actual culture can be seen and experienced on a daily basis. latinos are the largest ethnic group in LA which I'm sure the vast majority of that is Mexican. LAs identity and culture is very much tied to Mexico.

It's called FOOTBALL repped this.
  2. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    What is American culture? Pow wows and raindances?

What you meant was white-anglo culture, and it isn't as prevalent as you think in California, which was Hispanic long before the anglos came.

Capt.Tsubasa and antnee7898 repped this.
  3. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I would go as far as to say Mexican

4. MARCH_

MARCH_ Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reality is that many Mexicans or Mexican-Americans in LA find MLS unappealing & you have a heavy presence of LigaMex teams in SoCal. At one point i feelt that rebranding the team to CD Los Angeles (Club Deportivo Los Angeles) would be awesome. We just need to wait & see if a new ownership group pops up first. I'm hoping an ownership with heavy pockets willing to spend $ & compete with the assholes across the hall.

USFootiefan1980 and sodi_gar repped this.
  5. MARCH_

MARCH_ Member

Aug 16, 2007
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LA also has a large population of Central Americans as well , Salvadorians been one of the biggest groups. Something about Chivas USA signing more Salvies to the team then the galaxy & they still don't support.

6. Cabrito

Cabrito Member

Apr 10, 2013
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    This is the same thinking that brought you Club Deportivo Chivas USA 10 years ago, good luck with that!

7. Cabrito

Cabrito Member

Apr 10, 2013
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    I meant the mainstream culture that we can all relate to. To be as popular as LA#2 needs to be, it needs to be accessible to all.

8. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally have to agree with you.

9. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No one is saying for the team to be made up of Mexican players or for them to speak Spanish. For some reason you think having the team name be in Spanish will drive the none Hispanic LA people away. If having a Spanish name worked great in Salt lake of all places im sure it will do more than fine in LA where the actual city name is in Spanish, where the city flag has the Mexican flag emblem on it and where Mexican culture is pretty mainstream. I know a lot of Anglos in LA and they wouldn't even notice the name was in Spanish. That's how normal it is in LA.

10. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately the "Club Deportivo" name will always have a sigma about it in Los Angeles with none Chivas Hispanic and White fans; because of Club Deportivo Chivas USA.

11. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think you are right unfortunately.

12. glyconerd

glyconerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    Chivas USA all over.

Gameface and USFootiefan1980 repped this.
  13. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    How so? I never said that LA2 would pander to anyone or set rules or try to bring players from a certain ethnic background. I'm just saying the name should reflect or represent the past present and future of the city and its people. I never thought that having a Spanish name would be a negative factor in the popularity of the team, specially in Los Angeles.

14. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All my Hispanic friends don't want a Spanish name. They say we are in America and expect the name to be in English, it's no big deal to them; and actually would prefer naming the club Los Angeles F.C.

15. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Los Angeles fc is a Spanish name;)

16. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what I meant.

17. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    No, he was spot on. That is a Spanish name.

If these supposed Hispanic friends you have want to toss their culture aside and go full anglo, the team can always be the The Angels Flash, or the Shazzam or the Zoom. Full retro, yeah!

But anyone can go online and say "I have Hispanic friends who say". Let's hear from actual Hispanics and not some anglo who thinks he is their spokesman ;)

18. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    By that logic then how is Los Angeles F.C. in any way American?

MLS1FAN repped this.
  19. glyconerd

glyconerd Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Uzbekistan
    The new name must have wide spread appeal and include Los Angeles in the name. No Spanish names or acronyms. We need clarity in our team name and city representation. Spanish acronyms are very niche ( see CD CHIVAS USA).

For example using the local team names as a template we can be the:

Los Angeles Hammers

Los Angeles Wolves

You can add the FC or SC to keep the football tradition if you'd like. Just be clear and inclusive.

Cabrito repped this.
  20. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    con·tra·dic·tion
    ˌkäntrəˈdikSHən/
    noun
    1. 1.
      a combination of statements, ideas, or features of a situation that are opposed to one another.
    [​IMG]

21. amiz88

amiz88 New Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I reckon they should move to san diego

22. futgod

futgod Member+

Nov 28, 2006
    NorCal
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Wide spread appeal as in a lot of people or the majority? I read some where that only 40% of the population of LA speaks English, while 45% speaks Spanish.
    I don't understand the hate towards having a Spanish team name in a city where the majority speak it. I just don't see why its so divisive for some of you.

song219 repped this.
  23. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Nothing wrong at all with CD Los Angeles. Very cool name and it can appeal to the Hispanic population in all of the U.S. It would be unique in that way.

sodi_gar and futgod repped this.
  24. Gaboo

Gaboo Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Singapore
    Club:
    Fortuna Düsseldorf 1895
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Correct me if I'm wrong since my Spanish is a bit rusty...but isn't "CF" a Spanish name, while "FC" is the English version of it?

"CD" only makes sense to me if they have teams in more than one sport, but that's just my personal opinion.

Generally, I think the team should focus on what Galaxy represents in LA and go for something different in identity...that's how intense rivalries usually come about and get people excited about their teams. By giving them an identity people can relate to! Look at most of the big rivalries around he globe...there are a lot of rivalries based on "working class" vs. "upper class" for example. There's plenty of other backgrounds to big rivalries like representing different groups within one city or simply different boroughs within a city to name just a few. But the point is, you have to represent something else than your local competition...something that people who are turned off by the Galaxy can relate to.

25. holden

holden Member+

Dundee FC, Yeovil Town LFC, Girondins de Bordeaux
    Oct 20, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Dundee FC
    There are teams in Liga MX that use FC. It stands for "Futbol Club"

USFootiefan1980 repped this.