Team Name

Discussion in 'Archives: CD Chivas USA' started by socceriscoolusa, Nov 1, 2003.

1. socceriscoolusa

socceriscoolusa New Member

Jan 23, 2002
    Let's hope the name doesn't have CHIVAS anything in it.

It needs to be an American (USA) team with a Mexican owner.

Other than that they can hire all Japanese american players or whoever they want. Just stick to the league rules.

The hype is great though...

2. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i hope it does for marketing reasons, but i pray it doesnt have USA in it.

3. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    The informal opinon poll conducted by Waldo suggests it won't be the marketing boon you might expect.

I'm skeptical of that but open to the possibilty. I hope MLS has already done a little preliminary market research to make sure...

(ah hell, though, what are the consequences if they're wrong? this league has gotten to where it is through trial and error...)

4. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the Paulista league, there are two teams with Portuguesa in their names. The bigger club, in the city of Sao Paulo, is commonly known simply as Portuguesa, so the smaller club, in the city of Santos, goes by Portuguesa Santista. So, along those lines, how about Chivas Sandiegista? Or Chivas Californista - or actually, as your new Governator would say it, Chivas Colliefornista. Or, better yet, appease people concerned about it being a Mexican team by calling it Chivas Gringista. Of course, there may be no gringos on the team, but it's not like there are any Portuguese on Portuguesa.

5. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    if it is in san diego......sounds like the spanish name will follow....

But, here and there it will be regarded as CHIVAS USA.

some chivas recognition for the Name in a city that called SAN DIEGO. Can you give me some demographics of that city, to see who the clients will eventually be?

6. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's Sandy Ago? - San Diego Armada

If it's L.A.? - LA Riots (or is that bad taste?)

(the Galaxy's riot squad would have to relocate)

7. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    San Diego Armada has been what everyone has wanted a SD team to be called...and thats what it should be called...

vergara wants to market the Chivas name though...

I don't understand why he can't just start a team, he can still bring his 2-3 guys from chivas and spanish can be the main language and he can have mexican-americans all over the team, but don't call em Chivas USA or anything chivas, chivas is a mexican team in the mexican league...

go with San Diego Armada!!!!

8. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    If that's what everybody wants, than everybody should chip in and buy a franchise. As long as Vergara's the one putting the dough in, he can call it what he wants. And it seems he's the one insisting it be in San Diego when others preferred it elsewhere. You've got your club thanks to him. Back off.

I think we are all so used to Chivas USA at this point, it would be disappointing to call it anything else. Besides, it drives so many of you nuts it would be ashamed to change it. It's almost as if calling them that was some kind of brilliant marketing ploy. Lord knows it's raised blood pressures on these boards.

9. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    riverplate, don't respond to my posts cuz you don't understand what i'm talking about...

I didn't get a club, my club would be a team in Seattle...some of my family is from San Diego and in the past when San Diego was brought up (before the BS crash) everyone agreed Armada was the best name for the team...

"it drives so many of YOU nuts"

no it doesn't drive me nuts, if you read other threads you'll see i'm telling everyone that has lost control to get it together...

anyways, enough of you being wrong on judging me...I'm VP of a construction company, when i'm at job sites i'm around many people with many different backgrounds, here in my town their is many mexicans at these jobs, all i do is talk soccer/football with them...They didnt' even know about Chivas USA but i explained the situation, still didn't understand really, finally they saw stuff in spanish or whatever and they just laughed at MLS (after the past 2 years I had got them to respect the league and say if they had deeper rosters and brought more of the american stars from overseas they would be on par with the Mexican League)...they laughed, first saying Chivas would be a farm team for the REAL chivas, i tried to shoot that down and we argued, then they didn't care and came back at me with something i couldn't defend, they were like the name of the team is going to be Chivas USA, and about 30 (ok maybe it was only 10-15) soccer fans just lost it laughing...they were like MLS isn't going to make it with teams like that, there was 3 huge chivas fans and they just laughed at the idea and said they wouldn't support a chivas ripoff team, then one said what is the Oakland Raiders were just called Raiders USA, and they all laughed again..

I gave them this question, what if they went by a different team name but still tried to go with the latino flair, bring a star player or two from chivas over, etc...they were like at least it wouldn't be called Chivas USA, that sounds like a ripoff, or a minor league team for the Real chivas, but they said if they went by a different name they would probably watch just to check it out, but they said that americans have their MLS and mexicans have the mexican league, which they can see almost every game of their favorite teams on TV...i agreed...

don't judge me cuz you don't know me, and thats first hand proof that at least 3 chivas fans won't support a chivas USA, why do that when they have the REAL chivas? hopefully other chivas fans don't follow suit, but thats why I'm worried...

10. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It will all depend on how the team is presented. I personally don't like Chivas USA, as I prefer Chivas San Diego. But that's just me.

If the team is presented properly, it could succeed. And if it starts out as a formidable squad, it could and probably will succeed.

I've also had conversations w/ a variety of ppl. I would break it down the following:

1. Hard core Chivas fan: doesn't care about MLS nor Chivas offspring. I mean HARD-core fans, here.

2. Casual Chivas fan: could have interest perked

3. Hard-core non-Chivas fan: split, mainly on the lack of interest side, but some that would be interested in checking it out

4. Casual MFL fan: could have interest perked

VARIABLE: Club America. This match (called the "Super Clasico, and it's 1st round was played last Sunday, the day of the now legendary "California Clasico" between LA and SJ) is HUGE in Mexico. W/ Chivas and America battling it out, it would be pure publicity.

I don't think it's going to be a flop. But we have zero idea at this point...

11. Calexico77

Calexico77 Member

Sep 19, 2003
    Mid-City LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, things might, change as well. I mean, San Jose didn't start out as the Earthquakes, right?

If the SD team gets such bad press for being "CHIVAS" in the local media and fan base, a change could come a year or two later.

12. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Look, I'm not judging you and I never said you didn't know what you were talking about or weren't entitled to your opinion. I was just wondering where the "everybody" came from. After sending my post, I noticed you were from Washington State. I figured you knew people from San Diego and they expressed a preference for Armada. Fine.

It seems "everybody" on these boards refers to them as Chivas USA. Maybe that's just for the sake of convienience right now.

I'm not aware of going after you or having had fights with you on other threads about this or any other topic, although it's possible it's happened once or twice. Please don't take it personally. I don't "gun" for people. And I do realize many of my posts are blunt to the point of coming across as rude to those I specifically respond to. That tends to be the way I write. I'm sorry if I've caused you anguish as a result.

:)

I happen to also know Mexican guys that shrug their shoulders when I try to talk about the MLS-Chivas situation. I guess they'll have to see it to believe it. I'm certain Jorge Vergara is aware of this as well. It may take time to turn some people into fans of the club, and I'm sure none of us expects any Mexicans to care about them with the same ardor they have for their hometown clubs or league.

But I firmly believe a decent percentage of the Mexican population living here in the U.S. can be coaxed out to a few MLS matches involving a Mexican-style club and perhaps they will start to have some interest in MLS as a whole. After all, they don't get much of an opportunity to see futbol geared towards them as it is here, so perhaps many will be willing to give this approach by MLS a chance.

If you manage to pique the interest of a few, they will likely do what so many people on these boards do. That is to talk a friend or two into going to a match and you start to build a fan base that way. Word of mouth, if you will.

Vergara and MLS must realize this and do extensive and meaningful marketing along those lines. If they play their cards right, this could really help the league's coffers.

I don't see the harm it can do to the league to attempt this. And I don't believe one single person on these boards who has said they will abandon MLS if Chivas, America or any other foreign entity comes on board.

Once again, I apologize for coming on so strong to you. I'm not out to savage anyone.

13. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ya, i'm not too worried and i don't care at all what your motives are...all i'm saying is Chivas USA is a stupid name...

and what i'm saying about armada for san diego is BEFORE all this chivas talk when san diego was brought up thats the name that "most" people wanted on these boards...its a great name, especially for a team in san diego, with a SSS on the water...

I don't care if they go by San Diego Chivas or whatever, but Chivas USA is bush league (minor league) sounding...

i guess to make my point, what if Club America was called Club America MEX??? or if the Galaxy started a MFL team and called them Galaxy MEX...sounds ridiculous right, well so does Chivas USA...

14. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Armada. Fits right in there perfectly with Mutiny and Burn.

I'd rather have Chivas.

15. MLS3

MLS3 Member

Feb 7, 2000
    Pac NW
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the US...

we name our teams with a city then nickname...armada has something to do with San Diego past...San Diego Soccer Club sounds ridiculous, so does FC San Diego and Athletico San Diego, i could do em all, but you know what i'm saying...

16. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    DC United is only ok because "United" comes after DC.

Chivas San Diego sounds fine to me. San Diego Armada sounds nice too, but I don't think it's so good that the success or failure of the franchise depends on it. Fact is, a team grows into its name with time, as Revs and Metros fans will tell you.

17. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Damn right! So let's change the name of San Diego to Saint James!

18. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone correct me, but isn't "armada" Spanish for "army"?

19. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Strangely, "armada" is Spanish for "armada". ;)

20. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It actually meant "navy" in 17th century Spanish.

21. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    "armada" is a spanish word,
    so its no good for an American league

22. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Did you read my previous post?

"San Diego" is Spanish as well.

And "armada" is just as much part of the English language today as all the other foreign words and terms which have been absorbed by it over the years.

23. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good god, really? what a terrible name.

24. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Its Chivas suckas..

Originally posted by MLS3
    in the past when San Diego was brought up (before the BS crash) everyone agreed Armada was the best name for the team...

Everyone meaning existing MLS fans that can barely support their own teams :D

i am the Mod i can do anything :)

25. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    River,
    Be gentle w/ our more "mentally challenged" posters who have a difficult time reading.