Team Name, Colors, Kit, Crest, etc.

Discussion in 'Charlotte FC' started by GermanAmerican, Mar 27, 2012.

1. reedinthewind

reedinthewind Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    DC United
    Hey! I'm glad you like 'Carolina Airborne'! I like the crest mock-up and the colors. To me, "Airborne" is the best way to bring a lot of different Carolinians together. Can you imagine MJ next to a member of the 82nd at a game together, or in a commercial? That would be gold.

Airborne FC (or SC) would also work, just drop the Carolina. The problem is that you want to highlight the first in flight angle, but there are a lot of names (like Flight) that sound pretty.....lame to me. By bringing in the Army, you speak to a big part of NC's culture, population and economy while making it sound tougher. Throw in a little Michael and you've got an easy win in my book. Also there are a ton of Army folks just a hour and a half away at Ft Bragg

2. A Hugh Jass

A Hugh Jass Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Myrtle Beach
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats something i havent heard before. Has anyone ever heard Jordan express any interest in soccer or owning a franchise?

3. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Jordan can't even manage the Bobcats and they got a horrible product. I'd think it would be wise for him to focus on basketball, not soccer.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  4. A Hugh Jass

A Hugh Jass Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Myrtle Beach
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He cant manage the bobcats bc he Micro manages. In his mind he is the best thing thats ever happened to basketball and he very well maybe. But he cant seem to let someone else tell him he doesnt know how to general manage a bball team since he is in fact his airness Michael Jordan.

I think a soccer team would be different

5. A Hugh Jass

A Hugh Jass Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Myrtle Beach
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He cant manage the bobcats bc he Micro manages. In his mind he is the best thing thats ever happened to basketball and he very well maybe. But he cant seem to let someone else tell him he doesnt know how to general manage a bball team since he is in fact his airness Michael Jordan.

I think a soccer team would be different

6. RAL_United

RAL_United Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Raleigh
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I think the "Carolina" team name is overplayed as well. We already have Panthers and Hurricanes and Mudcats. Plus the two colleges who like to use it. Its okay for the Railhawks, because lets be honest, you aren't gonna call them the Cary Railhawks. Raleigh Railhawks - now, I could see that.

I just don't see the name as something that would create a larger geographical fanbase. I would be just as likely to support the Charlotte Panthers given that it would still be the closest NFL team to me. And I feel more allegiance toward the Durham Bulls than I do the Carolina Mudcats even though the Mudcats location identifier "incorporates" my hometown.

My Raleigh-based MLS team name of choice: Oak City Football Club. Maybe create a rivalry of sorts with the other 'tree-focused team' - the Timbers?

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My understanding is that the stadium is subsidized by Cary taxpayers. It's not politically feasible, nor fair, to have a team named Raleigh while Cary taxpayers are paying part of the freight.

8. RAL_United

RAL_United Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Raleigh
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very true. I wasn't clear. I was assuming a move to Raleigh would occur with a move to MLS.

9. CHHSfan

CHHSfan Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think if we got a team, MLS would expect us to do all we can to draw regional support, so I think Carolina will proceed any name we come up with. Charlotte, Wilmington, and Charleston should also feel connected to the team at least, and the meeting in Raleigh is about Southeast expansion, not just this area.

10. reedinthewind

reedinthewind Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    DC United
    I agree with everything here. OCFC is, in my opinion, the best name of all possibilities. That said, something in me says that MLS will lean heavily on some sort of "Carolina....". If thats the case, I think Airborne is the best, but I've been saying Oak City for a while, it sounds awesome.

I did a crest a while back for OCFC as well, it was acorn shaped,similar to a shield crest shape and had a green field with black trunks and a kinda brownish gold boarder and the words Esse Quam Vederi. I'll see if I can find it. Its hand drawn of course.

11. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whhhyyy Oak City? That's terrible. No one knows that Raleigh is called Oak City.

FAN1: Let's go watch Oak City FC
    FAN2: Where is Oak City?
    FAN1: It's in Raleigh, NC...
    FAN2: Well why don't they just call themselves Raleigh FC?

Keep it Simple.

12. RAL_United

RAL_United Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Raleigh
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Same could be said for Carolina ___

FAN 1: Lets go watch Carolina ___.
    FAN 2: Where do they play? Charlotte? Raleigh? Greensboro? Charleston?
    FAN 1: Its in Raleigh.
    FAN 2: Why don't they call them Raleigh then?

I think Oak City is unique and sets the team apart from other sports in the area! It also gives off a sort of civic pride in the name. And I'd say most Raleigh and Triangle residents know the nickname of "City of Oaks".

Also, it seems "reedinthewind" and I each seem to have come up with the same name independently - so there must be some kind of 'obviousness' to it!

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this.

However, I will say that if we get a team and it's called OCFC, we could create a really cool partnerships with the 2nd greatest team name in soccer, Accra Heart of Oak.
    I don't think that's a good comparison. I'll bet there are other cities that call themselves Oak City. Charlotte and Cincinnati both call themselves the Queen City, for example. At least you know the Carolina Railhawks play in North or South Carolina.

14. RAL_United

RAL_United Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Raleigh
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that narrows it down enough? You wouldn't name a team the California Galaxy, right? Or the Pennsylvania Union?

15. teucer

teucer Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Raleigh, NC, USA
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or the New England Revolution, amirite?

16. RAL_United

RAL_United Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Raleigh
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. I have no idea where they play. I know Foxboro Stadium but still no clue where that is.

17. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Oak City?????? Why not call it Tree Hugger United? I have lived in NC for a quite a while and have never heard of Raleigh referred to as the Oak City. As for Portland Timbers, it has a huge logging presence in that state and no one gets confused about the meaning of the Timbers. Oak City and everyone will just wonder what the hell is wrong with us North Carolinians.

Sandon Mibut repped this.
  18. CHHSfan

CHHSfan Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we didn't have Carolina, I would go for Tobacco Road Soccer Club. I think enough people would get it outside of the state, and it would have a bigger appeal than just Raleigh.

19. longballer

longballer Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's roughly half-way between Boston & Providence, RI.

20. Sounder_in_Carolina

May 2, 2011
    Columbia, SC
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Or the Carolina Panthers? Or the Carolina Hurricanes?

Each region is different with how they market the franchise, just like the New Jersey Jets, Giants, and Red Bulls want to pander to the NY markets.

Carolina is more inclusive to the entire region and has proven to work for top tier sports.

21. reedinthewind

reedinthewind Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    DC United
    Ahhh, I grew up in Raleigh and called it the City of Oaks, granted its not the most popular nickname, but I think that it has some style and class. Raleigh does have a lot of Oaks.

i just like that type of name, I was for Emerald City FC, but I am glad the locals got their wish.

North Carolina is the birth place of modern forestry, has one of the most prolific Forestry programs nation wide at NC State and is a major producer of lumber, so its really not a stretch. I realize the timbers have branded themselves well and we dont want to step on or compete with them. Perhaps focusing on live trees, would be good.

And yes, ElBo -I realize that you aren't going to like anything you decide is eurosnob (classic?) and that doesnt have some allusion to punching nazis in the balls. But you like Airborne. We could compromise and go Airborne FC.

22. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can put an oak tree in the crest or something (maybe shape it like an oak leaf, or go the Nottingham Forest route) and make the reference that way for locals, but Oak City FC or whatever is just a dumb name.

On a purely logical level, Carolina makes even less sense than Minnesota for team name purposes, since it refers to two states instead of just one, but it does roll off the tongue, and there is enough of a precedent that its use doesn't evoke a second thought. IMO, any MLS team would be crazy not to use it, unless and until there is a possibility of two teams in the Carolinas.

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It made sense for the Panthers, since their fanbase is centered very near the border. I never understood nor liked "Carolina" Hurricanes. I doubt they have many fans in SoCar.

Carolina Mudcats is comedic. I mean, it's a AA team located well over an hour's drive, probably 2 hours, from SoCar. Ain't no way they draw ANYone from SoCar. This last part will have no meaning for Scott or anyone not from this region...I get why it was impossible for them to be called Raleigh Somethings. Why not Wake Somethings????

24. SYoshonis

SYoshonis Member+

Jun 8, 2000
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm.....Wake Something.....let's think.....

[​IMG]

25. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because the team doesn't play in Wake Forest, which is the actual town where Wake Forest University was originally located.

When Arnold Palmer and Carroll O'Conner went to Wake, it was in Wake Forest. I've ridden my bike through the old campus, which is now home to Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary.