Tea Light in the Dark Universe: Bobby Wood at Hamburg

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by LoewenBoy, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    paid to train and relax, lucky hawaiian :p

The Irish Rover repped this.
  2. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Only if you're living in Hawaii.

Hamburg weather kinda restricts the relaxing options.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    So... no two-chick pics?

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    true but look how far he's come in his career and he's gone so far from hawaii

5. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    autobus39 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  6. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
  7. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
    ChicagoVT and edcrocker repped this.
  8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Wood cancels his vacation and wants to know it again at HSV
    Wood wants to know it again – and turns everything inside out. A result of the change of consultant that Wood went through a few weeks ago. Then he separated from his longtime agent Volker Struth and hired Rogon. But anyone who thought Wood was going to change clubs would be disappointed. The 27-year-old hopes for a new impetus, but does not waste any thought about leaving HSV before his last contract year.

The fact that this is so certainly depends on the numbers of the past few years. In the last three seasons (one on loan basis in Hanover) Wood scored only six goals in 53 competitive games, only made six partial appearances (without a goal) in the recent season, but is the top earner of the with a salary of more than two million euros HSV – and therefore not directly negotiable, because no club would pay him a salary of this magnitude.

you heard it first gents, I'm pegging Wood to get a dozen goals this season.

9. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Sure, but would that be in BL2 or RL Nord?

10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Wood might have been a disappointment, but how Heckling missed promotion is a disaster.

A new coach will likely have to give him a run out. I'm still suspicious that ultimately it's his knees and there's no going back, but heck, I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong.

11. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Daniel Thioune sounds like a very smart and charismatic coach. Hopefully Bobby will get some quality work in and get another chance to play.

12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Fifa21

13. SloterHaus

SloterHaus Member

Dec 14, 2018
  14. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    A Black German manager in the 2 Bundesliga, Is he among the first?

15. Football Master

May 13, 2010
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    The first ever black manager in Germany’s football professional leagues.

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    gotta figure this was news in Germany yet ESPNFC didn't cover crap probably despite the recent climate

Winoman repped this.
  17. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    #10168 freisland, Aug 9, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    You can watch the friendly here if so inclined: (I just kinda sped-watched it on a phone, so caveats apply. Wood seemed reasonably mobile, but I don't think I saw him touch the ball once. At about 6 mins he's calling for the ball over the top, but doesn't get it. at about 11 he tries to run on to a long ball that the keeper comes out to handle. A few other runs, but Hamburg has most of the ball but never really gets it into danger. Didn't look to me like Wood was in any of the 2nd half confabs, on the sideline so perhaps he went for treatment? But again, the combo of my eyes and a phone screen means I could have missed him.)

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  18. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    From Bild,
    and Bobby Wood (27) could not be seen again ...

seems like same old story, club wants him gone, no one can pay for him, so he stays, gets chances. Than he scores and does well in training (recall it said he scored couple in training last week) and come game time......nothing.

19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    To be fair, I need to watch it again on a real screen, but I don't think they got him the ball once in decent position in 45 minutes. And he made a few runs. Hansa played tight in the back but even free kicks from Hamburg seemed to go nowhere. Which is not to say Wood was good or even decent - more like "how could you tell." and I think it ended 0-0 so it's not like he did much worse.

20. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    no, HSV won 1-0, a CB scored the winner.

I think their point was that he was invisible the whole time he played.

LouisianaViking07/09 and freisland repped this.
  21. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Doing the lords work sitting through games like that to let us know whats going on.

22. ChicagoVT

ChicagoVT Member

United States
    Jun 26, 2019
    Sounds like he wasn’t the only one invisible for HSV’s attack.

23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    On a cell phone nonetheless. My penace is real.

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm sure it was. Just wanted to note, since I spent 20 minutes fast-forwarding through the 1st half, while I can't say I did a deep dive, I'd love to see the shot numbers for the first and second half. From quick look it just did not look like the ball was getting into the box in playable space at all. Not sure what Wood- or any forward could have done. It was also impossible to say anything positive other than he was mobile, but even there it was hard to tell how mobile. Hamburger faced a very tight defensive formation out of Hansa.

Anyway, nothing exciting out of it re Wood, but I'm sure he'll get his butt kicked by the German media unless and until he has a promotion-leading season. And not without some reason.

(So funny - just found the goal, off a corner at about 1:20 on the timestamp. They didn't change the score on the graphic until after the teams left the field. Wake up the dude in the booth!)