TDS preseason top 100 players list (just for fun)

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Tom81, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I've included the players from several of the top contenders and their TDS rankings.

UCLA 1 Fleming 3 Sanchez 29 K Rodriguez 36 Villacorta 54 Parker 61 McCullough 78 Sheehan

Stanford 2 Macario 55 Pickett 73 Smith

UNC 4 Emily Fox 37 Russo 40 Otto 63 Pinto

FSU 8 Zhao 12 Castellanos 14 Berkely 30 Howell

USC 18 K Collins 46 Bingham 59 McKeown 85 Hocking

Penn St 6 Riehl 11 Coffey 51 Abello 64 Jarrett 70 Spaanstra

Virginia 10 McClernon 38 Ivory 95 Tagliaferri

Think I got this right. Again just for fun.
    Who is ranked too high?
    Who too low?
    Who not at all that absolutely should be?

I bring a biased (though I try not to be) FSU perspective. Love to hear yours.
    As an FSU fan, I'm pleased Berkely is finally getting respect, but think 14 may be a tad high. (20-35ish)
    Howell IMO is the best holding MF in the NCAA, so I'd have her top 20.
    Gabby Carle at right back Canadian WNT should have been in the 50 to 75 range (not ranked).

Does UCLA really deserve 7 in the top 100?
    Coffey (25-50) is a little high IMO.
    Hocking from USC is a little low (top 50 for sure).
    Think Pinto will move up this list. (top 40ish)

Help a fan out. Share your opinions.

2. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Its a list that tries to be respectful of different players in different conferences. You cant have all ACC and Pac 12 players at the top. With that in mind, its not going to stand up well to that much individual scrutiny.

are there any players who should be in the top 100 who are not ?

3. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I’m not a big fan of TDS but at least they did some research and left off players that are injured and likely to be redshirted. Ex DeMelo at USC would be top 20 and Kuhlman at Stanford top 50
    Sophia Smith at Stanford is way underrated coming off stellar play last year that ended with injury. She’s back and she’s dangerous

4. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Of course a preseason, or even midseason, top 100 list is an exercise in frustration.
    I applaud TDS for the efforts they make.
    It's their job to make the list, and ours (as fans) to pick it apart.:cool:
    I do think that 7 from UCLA is a little high, but maybe the 3 from Stanford is Low?

Just passing time as the clock to the beginning of the season ticks down.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  5. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I can't imagine compiling this list.
    How do you differentiate between a girl putting up big numbers at a smaller school, and a girl at a top level school with average numbers b/c the team is so deep?
    Glad I don't have to do it.

IT will be interesting to see how Coffey translates at PSU this year.

6. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    That's a really good point. They've included some mid-major players who would never start ahead of some players at the same position not on the list at the top schools. A worthy effort, considereing what they've tried to do. It's a little light on goalkeepers - I'd have Northwewstern's Mackenzie Wood and UNC Wilmington's Sydney Schneider on there.

7. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Where is this TDS list? I've been on that site and don't see it.

8. mpr2477

mpr2477 Member

Jun 30, 2016
    Club:
    Vancouver MLS
    Lower right of the front page, under college rankings

9. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
  10. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    I think that many of those stars at mid majors WOULD start at many (maybe not all) of the top schools.
    I just don't think they would stand out like they do at the lower levels.
    Heck even at some major programs, one star stands out like a sore thumb.
    That is why I will have my eye on Sam Coffey as she transitions from star at BC to a very good PSU side.
    Does she star? She was, afterall, ACC midfielder of the year last year.

11. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    @Tom81

For Virginia, you've got Jarrett and Spaanstra on Penn State. And Tagliaferra is not ours. Maybe she's a Lion?

As has been pointed out, Sophia Smith is criminally underrated. And I think Macario is the best player in the country...

For Virginia, Spaanstra is much better than Jarrett and how anybody could rank Ivory 38 is beyond me.

For you guys, I remain relatively unimpressed by Zhao and way more impressed with Howell, so I.would flip those rankings in a heartbeat.

I think that Coffey was merely the best player on a team that got off to a smoking hot start. I expect her ranking to regress.pretty seriously.

I love to look at lists like these. What fan can't rank players, even if it is completely arbitrary.

12. Tom81

Tom81 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Thanks Val1, I obviously typed those player on the wrong line. I do know that Jarrett and Spaanstra are UVA and that Tagliaferra is PSU. Egg on face.

Agree on Macario.
    What are your thoughts on Fleming and Sanchez? Would you put Fleming at 2 or further down. Same question re: Sanchez.
    I haven't seen them enough to have an intelligent opinion.
    I agree on Howell. She's a younger version of Julie Ertz IMO.
    Zhao is a phenomenal on ball talent, but needs to be in better shape and take defense more seriously.
    I agree on Smith. On a side note, we were heavily in the mix for Smith and Howell, who are good friends apparently.

Agree with your UVA player thoughts. Ivory is very aggressive, sort of feast or famine.
    Jarrett is very fast, but needs better ball skills. If she develops those, watch out. Can't teach pace.

I think Pinto at UNC may move up those rankings. I also really like Hocking at USC. She seems to have "IT", when it comes to scoring.

13. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    any fan can rank players, sure. difference is that no one really cares what they say. When its TDS, some people pay attention.

I view lists like this as 100 players to watch as opposed to 1 being better than 10. There are different reasons to watch different players. You are going to see Spaanstra do things Jarrett cannot, but the reverse is also true. Zhao has a level of technique that is rare among US players. Smith a nose for goal. all are capable of highlight reel moments. I struggle to spend too much time trying to figure ourt who is "better". if you put Jarrett on UNC, a team that would really emphasize her speed, you would see something different. on a UVA team that generally lacks pace and plays a more methodical style its probabaly harder for her, but also great for her development.

in conclusion, I dont think its a compliment to call Howell a younger Ertz. I think Ertz is a pretty average player in a system that suits her. Poor in possession and as a passer. Excellent strength and tenacity. I think Howell has more tools than Ertz and is capable of a lot more.

14. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Having watched Jesse Fleming for 3 years and during Olympics and WC I can say comforfotably that she is the premier 10 in D1 soccer. No disrespect to others on the list. The kicker is there will always be an east coast bias because Pac-12 network is so difficult to access

15. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    I agree. Dont think there is an EC bias among the people making that list though

16. Enzo the Prince

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Generally there's a reason they're at a mid-major. I can't see too many of them getting into the first eleven at top programs.

Number007 repped this.
  17. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    I follow Tennessee and the SEC (and women's collegiate soccer in general), and IMO M.A. Vignola of Tennessee is /way/ underrated at 98--comically underrated. She is easily one of the three best outside backs in the country--athletic, physical, can shoot; big-time player. Another Vol, winger Erin Gilroy, didn't even make the list--perhaps because she's recovering from a knee injury? Another big-time player--started on the U20 USNT that also comprised DeMelo, Hocking, Kim, Pinto, others.

Hocking, Kim, Smith (for sure) and Vandy's Haley Hopkins (serious scoring talent) all seem quite a bit underrated, in my view.

18. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Agreed.A few, perhaps, but not many. The strength and depth of the top programs is frightening. Every kid was a club and/or HS star. i would almost go the other way and say there are kids who rarely see the field at top programs who would be mid major stars.

Enzo the Prince repped this.
  19. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    Have Kim or Gilroy been consistently good in College ?

20. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is she a premier player? It reminds me of the hype around Beckie.

21. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree the Ertz is average, her instincts set her apart. I do agree that Howell has more tools and and a higher ceiling than Julie. Fun fact Ertz was for a couple of years committed to FSU while in high school, then her senior year switched to Santa Clara.

Number007 repped this.
  22. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    She is phenomenal. And the East Coast bias comment is really more about people on the East Coast not being able to see her play because the Pac-12 network doesn’t have reach. She will give Cat Macario a true run at the Herman if healthy. Too bad she didn’t make the trip to Florida last year due to being with the Canadian NT. Will you Seminole fans get access when they are out in Cali next week?

Number007 and Crazyhorse repped this.
  23. Crazyhorse

Crazyhorse Member

Dec 29, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not know, but I do get Pac 12 network, so hopefully they carry the games.

24. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    respectful disagreement is fine

soccersubjectively and Crazyhorse repped this.
  25. Number007

Number007 Member+

Santos FC
    Brazil
    Aug 29, 2018
    she is a fantastic player. i think she influences the game in more ways than any player in College. One of the few College players i would pay money to watch.