Tasha's endeavors continue...w/ minor hiccup

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by battchy, Aug 27, 2002.

1. 1Bri Fanatic333

1Bri Fanatic333 New Member

Jul 12, 2000
    You know, I am so pissed right now, and normally, that woudl piss me off even more, but I really just don't care anymore..........

2. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Something pissed you off more than me? I must be losing my touch. :(

3. 1Bri Fanatic333

Jul 12, 2000
    you told me "you're the best" How do you think that makes me feel?!?!

4. keepit0

keepit0 Member

Aug 15, 2001
    A couple of things. If we are getting miles, that's great.

As far as transportation goes, I was going to get something cool. Either a limo or I saw a Mercedez SLK. Those looked good.

I haven't seen the card yet. Bri, is there a place to see it? (Thanks for putting that together.) I think having a sig from most of the team would be cool.

5. keepit0

keepit0 Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Uhh, actually this was my idea...

I like the idea of having bringing kids from the children's hospital.

I don't know if Club Quake would be interested, but since they are an official organization, this could be the start of a new branch for them. They could have a philanthropic arm and use donated funds and merchandise to fund trips to the game. Dunno if they would be interested / have time.

If there is left over cash, instead of returning it, I think most of the people who donated wouldn't mind using the cash to help others in a similar spot. There seems to be a lot of support for this (as well as a couple of people who seem to be damned good at organization) on the board. I imagine this could be expanded with the right organization.

6. ross from st paul

ross from st paul New Member

Sep 13, 2001
    gold river, CA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hate to sound like a cheapskate, folks, but if the free airfare comes through, i may forego my pledge of an extra $20 (i'll still send it if it's needed). just got the tuition bill for this coming semester's classes...OUCH!!! but the initial $30 is already in the mail, and i have no objections to whatever you decide to do with all the dough....provided it gives tasha a good trip! if there's STILL excess, i wouldn't mind a portion being donated to club quake, or to buy beer for the fine folks in the casbah! :)

7. 1Bri Fanatic333

Jul 12, 2000
    Re: Re: Tasha's endeavors continue...w/ minor hiccup

I can ask my roommate if I can use her scanner, bt Im not so sure she'd let me. If not, I can scan it when I go home this weekend, and put itup somewhere online...

8. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Uhhh.....hmmmm.....well.......let's see, I compliment Lindsey and she asks how I think that makes her feel....ok, this is a trick question isn't it? Did my wife teach you that??? :(

9. 1Bri Fanatic333

Jul 12, 2000
    It's a womam thing:D

10. scotto

scotto Member

Feb 13, 2001
    Bonny Doon, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumor has it that there are enough Frequent Flier miles available to have Tasha also bring a friend in addition to her mom, so that still wouldn't necessarily cut into the funds we have collected so far. I like keepit0's idea of a limo or something to pick them up, either at the airport, or at the hotel to take them to the game. We could use some of the extra cash for that. I'm in favor of the idea to use the miles and use the cash to make a first class weekend for Tasha. If there's any money left over, then we could donate it to a worthy cause, or bring some kids to the game as suggested previously. I certainly think that those who donated cash could have the option to withdraw if the purpose for which the cash was donated changes. However, anything left over could be used as described above.

In any case, it's a humbling and inspiring thing to see so many Quakes fans come together in such a generous way for someone we don't even really know. I am on a few car discussion lists, and a few months ago one of the regular contributors put his beloved car (a classic Porsche) up for sale so that he could pay for his wife's knee surgery. Within hours he had an agreement with a potential buyer, but the list convinced him not to sell the car and instead started a similar campaign to raise the money needed to help pay for his wife's surgery. Within days, they had raised $2000 through various contributions. Even the potential buyer withdrew his agreement and contributed to the fund. It was amazing. Just to put things in perspective, this was a Porsche list with 20,000 subscribers, some (but not most) with substantial incomes. What is really wonderful about Tasha's situation is that we raised a little less than half of that ($800) in the same period of time with a much smaller population and a very different demographic. This is truly a wonderful statement of the true character of Quakes' fans. It is awe-inspiring to be a part of it.

- Scott

11. 1Bri Fanatic333

Jul 12, 2000
    AWWWWWWWWW!! Warm fuzzy moment!!!!!!

12. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

We are desperate for fans. ;) I agree with everything keepit and scotto said, 1st class weekend most of all. It would be nice if we did donate any leftover $$$, that it somehow had to do with soccer like bringing kids too Quake games or donating to like a special olympics soccer team or program, just something with a soccer flavor. I'm sure the Quakes are in touch with stuff like that and could steer ya in the right direction.

PS- To whoever is donating the Air Miles. Very Cool! :D

13. battchy

battchy Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Mtn View, CA
    "Uhh, actually this was my idea..." (keepit0)

sorry mate, no disrespect intended. i typed the message w/o checking the backlog and knew i was taking the risk of insulting the original thinker, as it were. my bad totally. :(

ldb...shame on you for not fessing up...bad ldb...bad!!!

battch

GO QUAKES!!!

14. Spartan1

Spartan1 New Member

Feb 23, 2001
    San Jose
    I'm in agreement with keepit0's idea. I think a first class weekend would be fantastic....and the idea of bringing a friend along was outstanding (thanks to ldb).
    The donation of the frequent flyer miles....outstanding and very generous.
    If we need extra funds for limo transportation or something special I would be willing to increase my contribution. :)

Spartan Conceesions GM

15. living_ded_boy

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca

Sorry, I won't let it happen again......i'm not sure what we are referring to but i'll apologize anyway. Can you tell i'm married? :D

16. Spartan1

Spartan1 New Member

Feb 23, 2001
    San Jose
    Battch -

sent off the check today....PM me when you get a chance

Spartan Concessions GM

17. keepit0

keepit0 Member

Aug 15, 2001
    No worries. I was just starting to feel unloved!
    :-(

3 things.

1) The frequent flyer miles. If someone is donating some (a lot it sounds like) miles, I think we should take some of the cash we were going to use for the airline tickets and get that person something Quakes related. (A jersey?) It would end up costing less than the tickets, and we really should do something as thanks for the miles. (Everybody wins.)

2) Car rental. I'm going to pony up for a cool car for the weekend. Not sure if I'll be able to swing the type of deal I was trying for, but regardless, I'm going to get something good to drive them around in. Right now, I'm looking at either a limo or a Mercedes! (I'll entertain other thoughts if people have them.)

3) Battchy / Bri, we need to start getting ducks in a row. I'm getting confused about what we have and what we still need. Can you guys give a rundown of where we are with:
    a) Amount collected
    b) Airplane ticket status
    c) Hotel reservations
    d) Card from players
    e) Seating location for the Sander's crew
    f) Decisions with any potential overages

We've got a lot of people doing a lot of great things, I just want to make sure we don't miss anything and keep our bases covered.

18. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    If I weren't already a soccer fan and heard about how you guys are doing this for a girl most of you don't even know, I'd become a fan just based on that. How many other teams have fans that are this giving? Quakes fans are the best soccer fans.

19. Spartan1

Spartan1 New Member

Feb 23, 2001
    San Jose
    Re: Re: Tasha's endeavors continue...w/ minor hiccup

I agree with keepit0....

Point number 1, agreed.....we should do something for the person offering the frequent flyer miles

Point number 2... I put in some "extra" for the transportation idea. The limo idea sounds good....I've dealt with Wine & Roses as well as Le Grande Affaire before, both companies will usually work with you for special occassions. If you need the number for Lara @ Le Grande just PM me.

Point number 3.... I agree. Can we get an update on a-f?

Thanks all

Spartan Concessions GM

20. hfgs

hfgs New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    SF Bay Area
    Hey guys, what you're doing really, really cool. Make sure the Quakes (seems most appropriate) send out a press release about it!

21. 1Bri Fanatic333

Jul 12, 2000
    The point isnt so much what we are doing, we just want her to have a great time. She picked the Quakes, and Spartan...that says a lot. There's no need for any recognition...its what makes the world go round. (Kinda like payin the bridge oll for your car, and the one behind you as well, only in hopes of starting a trend of thoughtfullness)

I just tried scanning the card, and for some odd reason, my parents' scanner is all messed up. I will see if I can get is scanned in the near future for you all to see. (Some have asked) If not, I'm sorry. I just found out last night that I have to work the night of the 7th, so I may or nay not be at the game...I don't know for sure. I am going to try and weasle my way out of having to work, but its my first week at the new store, andmay be impossible. REGARDLESS, I WILL get the card signed by as many players as possible, and have it ready-post sep 7th game....!!!! I will then be in contact with Battchy as to how to get the card to him.

This is a big question that I feel would be best answered by everybody who has contributed...Battch and I have discussed it, and need some help. Landon has been contacted, and has agreed to call Tasha for the official invite. The card has already been made, and I felt that it was important to get the entire team involved, considering she wanted to come to Spartan instead of just meeting Landon. So we are still going to do the card, even though Landon will be calling her. The big question though, is....do you all think we should get the card signed, and sent off to her before she comes this way....even with the call. Or do you think we should give it to her when she arrives from the players....? Are there any other ideas floating around out there? Let your voice be heard...we do actually listen, I promise.

22. keepit0

keepit0 Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Re: Re: Re: Tasha's endeavors continue...w/ minor hiccup

Spartan 1. Uhh, I don't know what a PM is. Here's my e-mail:

mmmw@concentric.net

If you could drop me a line with some contact info, I'd appreciate it.

23. keepit0

keepit0 Member

Aug 15, 2001
    If Donovan called, that would be great. I think both would be good.

Having Donovan call is just cool in and of itself. If she has the card, that would be a nice thing to hold on to. The call is a good memory, the card is a good memento.

So, I would suggest that if possible, Donovan makes the call to invite her, and let's her know that a written invitation is on the way.

24. hfgs

hfgs New Member

Sep 2, 2001
    SF Bay Area
    I totally agree with you. It's all about Tasha picking the Quakes and how you all feel doing this. (And if circumstances were better I would participate. I really think this is fabulous!)

However, there is TONS of talk about how the Quakes get little/no press. This would make a GREAT human intererst story and the press can't hurt.

Just my $.02....

25. 1Bri Fanatic333

Jul 12, 2000
    I understand what you are saying now, though, it wouldn't bother me if there were more important stories to get out that ours got skipped. Because again, I'm doing this for Tasha, not for publicity...as is everybody else.