Targets for January Transfer Window

Discussion in 'Manchester City' started by gdub171, Sep 11, 2007.

1. Lynne_mcfc

Lynne_mcfc New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    GTA, Canada
    I'm told the cheque is in the post! :eek: The marketing revenue is worth £millions, similar, if not more than, when we signed Jihai Sun. :cool:

2. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    I'll say sign Yasser. That way we'll add an entire oil-rich nation of Saudi Arabia to our fan base.

There's a ton of money to be made in Asia and City seems to be heading in the right direction in this regard.

3. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    you know, Middle East players don't seem to do well in Europe. I've yet see one everyday starter from the Middle East. I'd say we stick with our focuses of singing Owen, Dafoe, Crouch, Adriano, Bresciano...........etc. What happened to those rumours?

4. whitestones

whitestones New Member

Nov 30, 2006
    Toronto
    Nah there have been a handful of middle eastern players who have been decent in europe, mainly in germany, ali karimi, mehdi mehdivikia, Vahid Hashemian etc.

5. Rust_In_Peace

Rust_In_Peace New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Iraq/USA
    Iraq star Akram set for Man City trial

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=493712&cc=4716

So it seems City is looking into the middle eastern market, first Yasser now Nashat.

The thing about these players is that they are big fishes in a small pond. They will show you clips of their skills against teams that are pretty much considered "pub teams".

Now I'm not saying that they are both terrible players, on the contrary they are good but I just don't think they are good enough for the EPL.

Maybe leagues in Holland,France,Germany but not the EPL.

6. iraq_foeva_proud

iraq_foeva_proud New Member

Jan 8, 2007
    melbourne, iraq
    now I'm not trying to say that he's the best or anything but u really shouldn't underestimate him just cause hes from the middle east.
    he really is a skillful play maker.
    these are his achievements from 2000 till now( international ), and hes only 23.
    • 2000: AFC Youth Champions.
    • 2001: Qualified to the World Youth Championship in Argentina.
    • 2002: Second West Asian Football Federation Champions.
    • 2003-2004: Qualified with the Iraqi Olympic team to Athens Olympic.
    • 2004: Qualified to the Asian Cup in China, but lost in the quarterfinals.
    • 2004: Took 4th place in Athens Olympics.
    • 2006: Won the gold medal in the Third West Asian Football Federation in Doha.
    • 2005-2006: Qualified to the Asian Nations Cup 2007.
    • 2007: Took 2nd place in the West Asian Football Federation.
    • 2007: Won the Asian Cup against three-time champions Saudi Arabia.
    • 2007: Nominated AFC Player of the Year and finished as 2nd Runner-up

7. Rust_In_Peace

Rust_In_Peace New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Iraq/USA
    Salam my Iraqi brother :)

I've followed Nashat since his days in Al Shorta. He is indeed a good player but all I'm saying is that he may not be ready for the EPL yet.

But I will still pray that he signs with City.

BTW Yasser Al Qahtanis deal fell through he has returned to KSA

8. amrizzle

amrizzle Member

Jun 29, 2007
    Footballistan
    It's the pace of the game that I'm worried he will find hard to cope with. Technically he is as good as any in the premiership and he reads the game amazingly well. However even for the Asian game he is known for taking his time on the ball.

Anyhow we shall wait and see if the deal happens.

9. iraq_foeva_proud

iraq_foeva_proud New Member

Jan 8, 2007
    melbourne, iraq
    i just read that nashat was not offered a ten day trial but a contract for 2 seasons.him and his team alain accepted the contract and are awaiting the financial fees. he also finished the medical tests. this was all in a phone call with nashat .

10. nathanakata

nathanakata New Member

Mar 20, 2007
    MELBOURNE
    Sven still wants Bresciano

Manchester City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson says Australian midfielder Mark Bresciano remains a target for his English Premier League club when the January transfer window opens.

Bresciano's pre-season move from Italian club Palermo to City collapsed after a disagreement over payment of the STG4million ($A9.14million) transfer fee.

But Eriksson still wants the Socceroo to fill City's problem position on the right of midfield.

"I hope the transfers aren't tricky this time," Eriksson told the Daily Mirror.

"With Bresciano, the negotiations were very, very difficult. He was here and he wanted to come, but then he got a phone call from Palermo to say they wanted him back."

"I think he wanted to join but he could not because I don't think they wanted to sell him, so that was disappointing. But hopefully things in January may be a lot easier."

http://www.theworldgame.com.au/aussiesabroad/index.php?pid=st&cid=102870

11. MVF

MVF Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Can't wait for the transfers to start. I love how SGE manouevers our club around to find the best avaliable talent.

Anyways, i am sitting in a little cafe in a coastal town having my holidays. I'll probably be away until the 13th, so i will see you's all then (i might be on occasionally for work)

Happy New Years everyone.

12. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    We wont be signing Modric. We were rumoured to be favourites to sign him (all newspaper rumours so cant be taken seriously) but hes announced hes staying at Dinamo Zagreb. Whether that means nobody met their valuation for him or not, hes staying put for now. I was shocked to hear he signed a ten year contract last year so hes got another 9 years unless he moves!

13. catenaccio_L'pool

Oct 21, 2005
    Top Of The Table
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    That's what Eduardo did as well and it did not prevent him from leaving...I also read he will sign a new contract and will remain with Dinamo next season - after that, they will try to sell him again. Dinamo said they don't want to sell because they want to make another run at Europe. Their boss, Mamić, claims it was in Manchester (as if God sent him the message:rolleyes:) he realized that selling Modrić would betray Dinamo and its fans - seems to me nobody offered as much as he wanted, even though Mamić claims no team offered under 50 million Euros:rolleyes:.
    This is the same way Eduardo's sale took place - Dinamo wanted Champs League but when they could not sign the players they wanted, they sold daSilva. In this case, however, Dinamo did manage to sign Bišćan and Mikulić so Modrić will stay put.

14. SoccerCityFC

SoccerCityFC Member

Dec 28, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Several media outlets have reported that Luis Figo has agreed to a two-year contract with Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG). If Figo is coming to MLS, then might Inter really be ready to make an all-out bid for Elano? Say it ain't so, Figo. Say it ain't so...

15. Alan D

Alan D New Member

Nov 5, 2005
    York
    If so then its simple, we reject it :)

16. SoccerCityFC

SoccerCityFC Member

Dec 28, 2007
    New Hampshire

Oh I know. But I am curious to see what type of figure Inter puts on the table.

17. QuaresmaRonaldo

QuaresmaRonaldo New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Sven's assembled a pretty good team.

I think Berbatov is way overpriced by the Spurs, maybe they can sell Bianchi and acquire a striker like McCarthy/Santa Cruz of Blackburn, Gudjohnson of Barca, or DeRossi from Villareal. I think Quaresma and right back Jose Bosingwa of FC Porto would be great buys. Not to mention Manuel Fernandes, formerly of Everton, who's sitting on pine at Valencia. Carrick and Fletcher also look surplus at ManU, but they'd never sell them to crosstown rivals. I also like what Anelka, Duff, and Portsmouth has a striker or two who could do the job. If Sven makes the right signings we could see ManCity up with the Big 4 or even 3 next yr.

18. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Good players you have listed there. I think Sven is just a couple of players away from being a true Big 4 team. There is a need to strengthen the LB, RM, and ST position.

19. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
  20. ProfZodiac

ProfZodiac Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN says we went for Cisse, but Marseille turned us down.

Boy, that would have made a splash, wouldn't it?

21. Lynne_mcfc

Lynne_mcfc New Member

Aug 19, 2007
    GTA, Canada
    BBC World (TV) mentioned the same thing in their ticker tape. Blackburn, Bolton and West Ham are also supposed to be interested.

This transfer window will be interesting, all the talk and rumours. Can't wait to find out who finally goes where. :)

22. 51BLU

51BLU Member

Aug 17, 2007
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not sure about this Cisse article, It does not say we made an offer just an enquiry ? Personally of the top strikers mentioned that realisticaly would come to us, Podolski from Bayern would be my pick ! I just hope if it happens he turns out to be as good a buy as the last German Striker to put on a City shirt.

It's hard to believe anything you read in the papers at the best of times but now in the middle of the transfer window silly season it's ridiculous.

23. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    Please, not a guy whose leg is made of glass. Two broken legs and who knows may be more.

24. CCSC_STRIKER20

CCSC_STRIKER20 New Member

May 14, 2005
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN is also reporting Mancini for City

I really rate Mancini, and was disappointed when we missed out on him this summer. We had a chance for him and it was a player Rafa wanted. If you can add a successful Mancini and a quality front-man that would make me nervous.

------------------Striker-----------------
    Petrov-----------Elano-----------Mancini

25. 51BLU

51BLU Member

Aug 17, 2007
    UK
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dont believe everything you read in the papers http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pagegid={DBD12D53-8346-431D-A04F-5D0F8664DE80}&newsid=522199