Tampa in consideration to host World Cup

Discussion in 'Tampa Bay Rowdies' started by law5guy, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Call me Ralph.

Call me Ralph. New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    New England
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.baynews9.com/content/40/...tle=Tampa to make bid to host World Cup games

Tampa to make bid to host World Cup games

Monday, April 20, 2009

TAMPA (Bay News 9) -- Tampa will make a bid to host World Cup soccer games in either 2018 or 2022.

The FIFA World Cup committee is looking at several U.S. cities to host the international event.

Former Tampa Rowdies player Farrukh Quraishi thinks Tampa has a good chance at winning a bid to host some of the games. Quraishi worked for the World Cup in 1994 when it was in Orlando.

2. VAComet85

VAComet85 Member

Dec 23, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Tampa has a great shot. The area has an infrastructure that has shown it can handle the biggest of events (2 Super Bowls this decade) and by 2018/2022 it will have had pro soccer back for nearly/over a decade. Its a scenic area with a lot to offer the throngs of tourists from all over the globe (besides the obvious caribbean and hispanic communities and history, British tourism has been pretty sizable as it has been seen as a nice alternative to the always-crowded Orlando/Disney scene). It would be awesome, and maybe confirmation of Tampa's involvement will help spur some much needed light-rail construction!

3. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  4. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
  5. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

To unsubscribe from this list, click here.

6. tbpirate

tbpirate Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Tampa,FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing that every venue outside of a SSS venue, including Raymond James is that the field of play needs to be an international size. Raymond James fits the minimum size at 110 yards by 70 yards. That is the current size for matches. What would really be good is if they increased it to the max of 120 x 80. That's the biggest problem for many stadiums in the US they are too small. BTW-Joe Robbie built his stadium back in the late 80's so it could host the 1994 World Cup Championship. He was a soccer fan and owner. But after he died,the Marlins came into town and messed that up. If you look at the field size of Landshark/Dolphin/Pro Player/Joe Robbie Stadium, it holds a 120 x 80 size pitch with no problems. They could add more seats to it so they could host the finals there.

7. Call me Ralph.

Call me Ralph. New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    New England
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really hope the Glazers get involved with the World Cup bid. Up til now we have seen zero positives come out of the Glazers ownership of Manchester United in terms of support for soccer in Tampa. Surely the Glazers can see the advantages of getting on board the World Cup in Tampa bandwagon?

On another note I recall last month Blatter was at the Gold Cup final in the Meadowlands, checking out the new Giants Stadium that is almost finished. Blatter can't help but be impressed at the size, quality, and number of first class facilities that exist in the USA; I will be very surprised if the USA doesn't get the 2022 World Cup finals.

The Glazers mission, should they chose to accept it, is to make sure Tampa doesn't get screwed by the Mouse/Disney/Orlando like what happened in 1994.

8. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG] The United States is submitting a bid to host the World Cup in 2018 or 2022 and we urgently need your help. The Tampa Bay area is one of 27 cities nationwide that is competing to host World Cup matches, if the United States is selected as host nation. We will know on December 2, 2010. The Tampa Bay area needs 50,000 people to sign the petition that you will find on the link below. Please take the time to sign the petition and forward to as many people as you can and encourage them to do the same. Zip codes will indicate areas of support around the country and it is imperative that we show grassroots support from our community for the bid.

Sign the petition at
    http://www.gousabid.com/page/invite/pass

10. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty interesting tidbit about new Rays stadium: Could we possibly have WC games at new venue:

"We will expand our cachet and get more people to become familiar with Tropicana Field," Silverman said in an interview this week before officially announcing the launch of Sunburst. "This will add energy to our business."

When the Rays eventually get a new ballpark, they can continue to put on entertainment along with sporting events like football, soccer and lacrosse tournaments that require a large venue like Tropicana Field, he said

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Votes pretty low in Tampa. Did you see Jax? Where did they get that many?

12. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. WhiteStar Warriors

Mar 25, 2007
    St.Pete/Krakow
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's actually the penultimate list. That list of 18 will be pared down to 12, and I wouldn't be surprised if Chicago or San Francisco re-emerged as candidates at someone else's expense somewhere down the road. Still, let's keep our fingers crossed that we get a piece of the pie when all is said and done.

16. Nicholas Murray

Nicholas Murray New Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Tampa, Florida
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Massive opportunity for Tampa to make a good impression, as U.S. Soccer just announced a Feb.24 friendly against El Salvador at Raymond James Stadium as part of the 2010 build-up.

31,547 showed for the 2007 U.S.-Ecuador game at RJS, the last time the U.S. played here. It'll be important for more than that to show this time around.

17. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about that. 31,000 plus is a pretty good showing for a friendly. February, hopefully weather is nice and we pull in a lot of travellers. We need to get the American Outlaws chapter finalized for this and do a good job of hosting a nice tailgate.

Anything north of 40,000 would be amazing.