Talley on DC101

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by monster, Aug 8, 2002.

1. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carey will be on with Elliot Friday morning for those interested.

2. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMIGOD, he's sooo friggin HOT!
    ;-p

But in other serious Talley news, he is going to do that All-Star game again in Memphis to benefit his Dad's fund for the LeBonheur Pediatric Hospital. The game is Friday, Nov 1. Don't know who the other stars will be. I've always wanted to go to Memphis (and see Graceland!) so I'm looking into going. If others might be interested send me an email.

K

3. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Just did a preliminary search. Right now, flights seem to be around $200 (leaving Fri. morning, returning Sunday night) and hotels are about $70-80. Seems like it might be a good enough way to see Graceland, eat some 'cue, hear some blues, and see soccer.

And as a plus, hopefully the Stax museum will be open then. http://www.soulsvilleusa.com

Dave

4. mkpage

mkpage Member

Jun 9, 1999
    Alexandria, VA
    The Rendezvous

If you make the trip to Memphis, a stop by The Rendezvous for some BBQ is an absolute must. Their dry ribs are amazing, and I'm not a huge ribs fan. The Rendezvous is downtown near the baseball stadium.

Graceland isn't a bad trip, but be prepared to witness some hideous interior decorating. Elvis had the serious misfortune of dying at perhaps the worst time in history for home furnishings.

5. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    I saw a feature on one of those shows on the Food Channel about the Rendezvouz, and it looked delicious. Even looked at their website to see about buying some of the rub.

Graceland, I'm sure I'll like it and I can get my aunt something from there, but it's more K's desire to go. Stax/Volt is more my own musical preference.

Dave

6. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Make sure you have an honorary deep-fried peanut butter and banana sandwich for the King.

7. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    With a side order of Seconal?

Dave

8. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Carey on in 30 minutes. 101 also had a good commercial for tomorrow's game earlier.

9. GoDC

GoDC Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Hamilton, VA
    Talley was pretty funny. He is still very bitter towards United Management (Hudson and Kaspar I would guess) for trading him. Still likes most of the guys from the earlier years. He did say Ben needs to watch out because he is after him!! Was joking but Ben should be careful anyway.

10. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, last time we played KC Talley scored so that was some nice payback.

K

11. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he could mark something beside blades of grass he might still be here.

12. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I've been to Memphis 3 times, which is about 2 times too many, IMO. There is a bar on Beale St. called Silky O'Sullivans that has goats that drink beer.

13. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like the livestock with horns or old guys hanging off the bar stools?

K

14. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Jeff Agoos was drinking there with you?

;)

Ahh jeez, I'm going to hell.

15. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA

Goats, as in BAAAAAAAAA!!!!

They're in a pen off to the side. I was suprised animal rights activists hadn't put an end to that quickly.

16. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I bet that if you asked the goats to choose between curry and knockin' back a few with the locals, they'd tell PETA to stick it.

17. DC Forever

DC Forever New Member

Mar 26, 2001
    Rockville, MD
    Supposedly, one of the goats is coming into DC for a few days of training next week to see if it can help solve our offensive problems -- so long as it can cut back on the beer.

18. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    BAAAAAAAAZA? Coming here? Sweet.....:D

19. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Azzaa's his biggest fan....

20. Tabitha

Tabitha New Member

Jul 16, 2001
    U.S.
    Thats not fair. Isn't it true nearly everyone we traded away scored on us and then some? :D

21. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Ever heard of Chris Albright? :p

22. dsheon

dsheon New Member

Jun 12, 2000
    My mom grew up in Memphis and I've gone there many times, usually for funerals or Bar Mitzvah's. Our big religious experience is eating Corky's BBQ pork (or try Leonard's). Either is real the real locals eat. Beware though, there's only one Corky's (I think) and the line is always out the door.

As for the goats, I'll guess that's a parody on the ducks at the Peobody Hotel (also fair game for PETA, so to speak). They march the ducks off the roof, into an elevator then have them swim in the hotel fountain. I think it's at 5pm.

As for Graceland, I have a feeling Elvis would select shag carpeted floors, walls and ceilings even today. He was limited to what materials were available in the 70s but the tackiness went beyond a certain era, in my opinion.

For a good time when you take the tour tell the tour guides that you were named Elvis because your parents loved him so...."You know we get so many Elvis's here, it really is a lovely tribute..." of course this is just because people have been BSing them for years.....I think.

True, it's not America's favorite tourist destination but if you're going for the game you'll certainly find enough to do for a weekend.

23. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, is it me or is the juxtaposition of Bar Mitzvah and BBQ pork making your head spin too?

;-p

K

24. GDopplerXT

GDopplerXT Member

Jun 12, 2001
    DC Area
    The use of the word 'juxtaposition' is making my head spin. ;)

I went to Graceland a few years back, and while standing in the back yard where Elvis' grave is, I was reminded of two classic (well, sort of) movie scenes:

1) "U2 Rattle and Hum", when the band visited Graceland, and Larry Mullen gave his little speech about Elvis being buried in the 'back garden'.

2) "This is Spinal Tap", when Nigel, David, and Derek were standing near the grave, trying to work out the harmonies for 'Heartbreak Hotel'.

Didn't really get to check out much of Memphis while I was there though, so I wouldn't mind goin' back.

25. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    I downloaded some video of him on Kazaa