Talking Beckham Talk on Fox Sports Radio

Discussion in 'Business and Media' started by mpruitt, Jul 18, 2009.

1. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I know Beckham threads and Beckham talk is all over the sports media right now, but it's 2:17 am and I'm listening to Beckham talk on Fox Sports Radio.

The basic topic of the conversation is "Which athletes care the least?" Becks is getting compared to Manny Ramirez, etc.

We talk a lot about when soccer will 'make' it. When, if ever, soccer becomes fodder on mainstream general sports talk radio has to be one heck of a metric towards that.

... what a strange trip this has been for MLS.

2. Big Soccer Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Surrey, England
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Any radio show on at 2.17 AM cannot be mainstream.

3. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't forget that it's a national network and that time is 11:17 PM on the West Coast, which is a much more "mainstream" time.

4. Utd16

Utd16 Member

May 24, 2008
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    If I were Beckham I wouldn't care as well. MlS is shit.

5. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that sounds like the Third Shift with Ben Maller - never liked the guy really :) but it's obvious Becks doesn't care. Look at all the stories linking him to Milan, Tottenham, and (amazingly) Manchester United!!

I'm not sure if he underestimated the league or made a decision before he thought his England career was over or thought (as noted in the Wahl book) that he could come over and run things or was just a shirt-selling mercenary but I suspect he's gone at the end of this MLS season. I'm actually surprised he came back - but I guess Milan is cash strapped and he'd need some other team to be interested.

6. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The show I was listening too was some kind of weekly round up on FSR, so it was being replayed at that time. It wasn't Maller - wish i had caught the names.

7. napanickg

napanickg Member

Nov 15, 2003
    celery&black army
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sounds like fox sports soup. they usually have highlights of other fox sports radio shows during that time

8. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That's what it was. Fox Sports Soup. Again, wish I had caught the names as they devoted the whole segment to Beckham and other athletes who didn't "care." Being in Boston, local sports talk radio WEEI dominates but they play FSR on the overnights and some parts of the weekend. While it may be insignifigant that FSR hosts were talking Beckham, I'd imagine there's a large portion of the country where nationally syndicated sports talk is the only option.

9. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like listening to Steve Czaban on FSR - funny show and they usually don't berate soccer, just think it should remain a niche sport.