talk about a turkey

Discussion in 'California Victory' started by wabid, Nov 22, 2007.

1. wabid

wabid New Member

Sep 23, 2007
    That's it? That's our goodbye, compliments of a Canadian newspaper? Yes, attendance was weak, but of the 1100 fans who attended each match, how many of those were repeat offenders? I kept seeing the same faces over and over again. It's not like people would show up once and decide this side was not worth supporting.

First, the website disappears without any atempt to tell then fans what is going on. Next, the USL website fails to make any mention that the team has been disbanded. The league carries on as if we never existed. Our team page is still on the USL site, but it's really nothing but a photo of an empty Kezar Stadium. Who knew that it was a prophetic picture of next year's season?

2. Bruiser650

Bruiser650 New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    SanFranciscoBayArea
    Yeah, the league has difficulty when it comes to multi-tasking. God forbid they should make an official announcement, or at the very least, tell us who are heavily invested into making the upcoming season even more competitive.

I think the league have taken us, the supporters, for granted. When the original ownership failed, it was us, the supporters, hitting the streets and spreading the word.

For those interested in statistics and numbers, the games of lowest attendance were those God awful Wednesday night games and seemingly even more random Thursday night games. But take a look at the numbers again and it was after the formation of the California Victory Supporters Association that the numbers increased.

We have passed out fliers and posters (donated by some very friendly people) at festivals, pick up games, Irish & English pubs, Italian pizza places, Mexican taquerias, Middle Eastern markets, etc. We went from a typical 600 Saturday night to 1900 people for the final game of the season within two months.

And what is our thanks? An article from some random Vancouver newspaper saying we are dead. Not even $20 on the night stand for a taxi.

3. Loop Revil

Loop Revil New Member

Jun 11, 2007
  4. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    It sucks, but I'm sure there will be a new team somewhere in SF future. Its just a bummer because if this team had been handled properly from the start I think they could have done well. Well now its time to focus on the Quakes ans Seals.

5. sko16

sko16 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Israel
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Israel
    God. damn. it. I was really looking forward to a fresh start. Yeah I'm gonna cheer in the new 1906 Ultras section for the Quakes. Yeah I'll come to a few Seals matches and cheer some friends and former teammates on. And I can't wait until Seals win the PDL division and end up playing the Quakes in the Open Cup. I'll be there. I just wish it were Vics/Quakes. That would be a matchup. As for the players, they should look into playing for the Quakes (well...most of them). The others should look to other USL teams. I'll never forget that year though and all the players and fans (no thanks to owners) that made it possible.

6. deedougie

deedougie Member

Jul 5, 2000
    OAK,CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It really speaks poorly for the league that they won't give any official notice on the future of the Vics.

The team ended up being a volunteer organization by the completion of the season and it would have been great to see what could have happened at Kezar if the team had proper ownership.

Despite the doubters I know professional soccer could work in San Francisco. I just wish we had legitimate chance to prove it

7. Bruiser650

Bruiser650 New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    SanFranciscoBayArea
    First, Dmitri dicked us around... and now the league or is it the investment group. The problem is, who do we blame? No one is talking so maybe its both. Maybe both dropped the ball.

Truth be told, and its been said plenty of times before in all the other USL forums, but the USL as some serious logistical problems that they need to address. But what makes things worse is that there is no accountability to the fans.

8. Bruiser650

Bruiser650 New Member

Jun 30, 2005
    SanFranciscoBayArea
    Since everyone here is either pissed off or generally disappointed, voice your opinion to those in charge:

United Soccer Leagues
    14497 N Dale Mabry Hwy, Suite 201
    Tampa FL 33618
    Phone: 813.963.3909
    Fax: 813.963.3807

Francisco Marcos, President of USL
    francisco.marcos@uslsoccer.com
    extension 225

Tim Holt, Executive VP & CEO
    tim.holt@uslsoccer.com
    extension 249

Matt Weibe, Managing Director of Club Development & Communications
    matt.weibe@uslsoccer.com
    extension 234

Steven Thompson, Professional League Operations
    steven.thompson@uslsoccer.com
    extension 240

Gerald Barnhart, Director of Public Relations
    gerald.barnhart@uslsoccer.com
    extention 247

James Ward, Director of Business Development
    james.ward@uslsoccer.com
    extention 224

9. Delle Alpi

Delle Alpi BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't say I am suprised by the outcome but it still sucks. We the supporters gave of ourselves to a club and a league that really could give a rats ass about us. That does not include the guys in the FO of the Vics who worked for free most of the time. I remember when me and bruiser handed out flyers at the north beach festival to try and get people to come to games and I think our efforts were successful. I will miss Kezar nights with the original 1906, but USL1 can kiss my ass, they are second rate league and operate as such. No official word, WTF is this a pub league. I look forward to the Seals I will be there for most if not all games. The Quakes will now get all of my focus, truth be told I have been focused for awhile now and I can't wait to introduce the Casbah, Buck Shaw stadium, and the rest of MLS to the 1906/Ultras. I am sending an email to these jackasses but I don't expect any response. Really would have been fun to see what we could have done with proper ownership. It's a damn shame.

10. Horror Show

Horror Show Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Fullerton, CA
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear Dimitry,

Please triple jump your way into oncoming traffic, or off the Golden Gate Bridge. Thanks.

11. Delle Alpi

Delle Alpi BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 12, 2006
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope a homeless person in Berkley shites all over your shoes. Also in your next life I hope you come back as a....

Oh fu$k it just don't come back.

12. Schwalker

Schwalker New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Gelsenkirchen/Finja
    Club:
    FC Schalke 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This sucks....They could at least have the common decency to explain to the fans what happened and why :(

13. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Over on the USL Disscusion site there is a poster that claims to be working for the potential Californai investment group. He mentions that they are still working at getting the team. So maybe the reason that there hasn't been a final word on the process is because it's still ongoing and not complete.