Taking Landon for granted??

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by EastBayGrease, Jan 31, 2006.

1. EastBayGrease

EastBayGrease Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since LD has returned from Germany to MLS, he seems a bit disgruntled in his media interviews. In his pre-Leverkusen II/Quakes days, he was enthusiastic and smiley in his media interviews. Now, he seems almost defensive and somewhat cold. I can't help but feel like all the Landon-bashing that goes on here and amongst MLS fans gets to him (and I would bet my house he knows about it). He's clearly a sensitive guy (as are most creative playmakers, IMO) as demonstrated by his struggles with homesickness in Europe.

LD is the closest thing US soccer has to a genuine soccer star. Though his stardom is smaller than that of Wayne Gretzky or Jordan, none the less he's still the only US soccer player with enough media status to appear on MTV cribs, have a hollywood girlfriend, and a bigtime (MLS) contract. I remember reading a Nike publication when Landon first returned to MLS that desribed him as the ideal marketting product in terms of his personality, looks, and abilities. He's steadily taking on more and more of a leadership role on the Nat's. There's no denying he's one of the, if the THE, best players on our US squad. He's done tons for MLS, and the importance of his commitment to stay in the league, even if it is partially motivated by living near his family, can't be understated for its growth.

He's our first real soccer start, yet the first thing we soccer fans due is ridicule him and dub him "Landycakes". Why not support the player that seems to first in line to take on the leadership role for the near future of US soccer?

And all those who call him "whipped"....you'd probably be selling your mother into slavery to have one night with a woman as hot as Bianca Kajlich...And then have a restraining order on you after the fact...really.

2. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I tend to agree overall with what you've said here - you've really opened up a can of worms.

I'm going to back away slowly....

3. thigpig

thigpig New Member

Apr 24, 2005
    upstate NY
    he's easy to make fun of. but seriously, no one takes him for granted. everyone wants him on the team.

4. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Landon has been in the spotlight long enough now to have learned that a distant, cool demeanor is the best way to keep his emotional nature in check when dealing with the media, who want nothing more than to set him off.

That's my $0.02 at least...

5. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think , at least right now , LD knows what we have to do next summer , and I think hes pretty determined to get into form and the best shape possible for next summer . It seems to me hes taking a lot of the interviews for the nats very seriously , because we have a huge task at hand .

6. SNUSA

SNUSA New Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Norman, OK
    I think EastBay may be confusing Landon maturing and just being a bit more focused and determined as he gets older and takes on a leadership role that matches his talent.

He's also got more of a killer instinct now, and thrives more under pressure. Good things.

Besides, if a little needling has stopped him from bleaching his hair and wearing a bra, that's probably a good thing.

7. gbalzac

gbalzac New Member

Aug 14, 2003
    AMEN...he's becoming a big boy...who knows one day he might become a man...I hope he does well and who knows...maybe if he really pulls the strings for us at the world cup he'll get a big time club after him. Somewhere that he deems worth of his services...after all he's getting older and wiser...maybe he can cope with the foreigners on the 3rd go around. And after all he's only what 23/24?

8. Liviu

Liviu New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    I totally agree. This Landon-Bashing that is way too common on here is truly despicable. Here is our biggest star and most productive Nat getting constantly ridiculed by fans who should know better.

Landon Donovan prefers to play in MLS and instead of respecting his decision and appreciating the fact that this will improve American soccer, he is bashed and called a loser. He gets pissed that a player spit on him - he's not a man for standing up for himself, instead he's too sensitive and needs to grow up. He dates a gorgeous woman that many of us would drool over - and he's not a ladies' man but instead he's whipped. He tells the Mexican team the truth (that we've been better than them for years), and he's not a hero for standing up for ourselves in the soccer world and for being fearless - but instead is called rash and stupid for talking with his mouth instead of of just with the ball.

As I see it there is only 1 good reason to dislike Donovan - that he left San Jose and joined the Galaxy. But that should only come into play in the San Jose - Galaxy rivalry and not into the US Nat picture. Hate him as a San Jose fan in MLS if you want, but every US Nat fan should give him the respect he's earned over and over again. And since the Earthquakes don't exist anymore, there shouldn't be a U.S Nat soccer fan who bashes him anymore.

You guys who rag on Donovan all the time for no good reason need to slap yourselves and realize that you keep belittling America's greatest soccer player, the symbol of American soccer's skill, passion and potential at Japan/Korea, the best young player at Japan/Korea, the player who's contributed more to U.S soccer in the past 4 years than any other player, the symbol of U.S Soccer to the world.

Grow up and give the man the respect he's earned.

9. ty webb

ty webb Member

Aug 28, 2005
    NYC
    LOL.......

Landon, everyone here thinks you are great player and you represent our team very well. You will probably break the World cap record and be one of our better players for the next 10 years (i hope on both accounts).

Your girlfriend is also good looking, but let's not go overboard.

10. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    It was fun watching him just toy with Norway. He didn't even come close to thinking about scoring himself, if he did he could have had a hat trick. All he did was dish, dish, dish. He was the quintecential Spongebob Squarepass, but you just knew he could've anhilated Norway single handedly if he wanted to.

11. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ

I think Landon's a great player. Hands down. Can't wait to watch him this summer in Germany.

However, if I had that much money I'd be beating the women off with a stick.

(um...don't tell my girlfriend I said that...)

12. Shackleton

Shackleton New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    N. Texas
    I doubt Donovan is so sensitive that he cares much about what some anonymous internet posters have to say about him. I certainly hope he is not that sensitive, because when you're a star, it comes with the territory.

13. bryn

bryn Member

Nov 1, 2005
    LA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this is right on the money and I'll raise you my $0.02. :)

14. GOOOOAL!!

GOOOOAL!! New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Des Moines, IA
    His maturity in the interviews is what we hear.

He's finally gotten old enough that his voice changed:p

Seriously, he has gotten better at saying what he means in an adult way and not just as a kid. He's also looked on as a leader for the team so he has to always try and act like a leader.

He's doing a fine job, at least that's what I've heard Bianca said ;)

15. REMOVED

REMOVED New Member

Jul 22, 2004
    He is the greatest US player and is a world class player (I have already been berated for this, easy now). He seems pretty jovial when he does his interviews for telemundo. I heard he got really pissed when the mtv crew actually drank all of his Crystal. Guess what else he has in his refrigerator. With LD we know where the magic happens.

16. wva97

wva97 Member

Jun 8, 2002
    east coast/west coas
    See Claudio Reyna from 1995 through 2004.

17. EastBayGrease

EastBayGrease Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see your point in terms of European name recognition, income, and ability. However, I meant my comment in the context of American soccer and the American public. Landon Donovan was a recognized name within the American soccer community when LD was about 15. He's Nike's posterboy for American soccer and they have invested tons of cash in him. I've followed American soccer religiously since 1990, and I didn't hear about Claudio Reyna until he was a senior at Virginia. Reyna was and is a great player, however, I don't think he ever came close to being the face of American soccer and the rising status of both soccer in America and US soccer in the world. In fact, I would say Eric Wynalda was more the media face of US soccer than Reyna in the 90's.

I guess my original point needs rephrasing. Landon Donovan is more than just our best (or one of our best) players. LD has achieved unprecedented celebrity status for an American soccer player, and he's the closest thing American soccer has to a genuine sports star. LD knows this and has shown that he's commited to using his status to bring soccer further into the awareness of the American public. I realize he probably will not achieve the name recognition of a Michael Jordan or Wayne Gretzky, but he could achieving something relatively close. Hence, we should support LD and not try so hard to bring him down...

18. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Landon has matured quite a bit in the last year or two. Nonetheless, I hope some of the things that people say on here and elsewhere get to him. Maybe that is why he has matured. He is far from the finished article and often comes across as soft. He has little personality, and while I am grateful for the leadership position he has taken amongst his peers, he lacks the charisma to be face of American soccer. I don't dislike him for leaving Europe. I lost respect for him as a person because of the way he handled it. Like I said, my respect for him is returning as he matures, but it is necessary to note the difference between taking him for granted as a player, which I don't, and thinking he comes off as a soft momma's boy, which he often does.

19. EastBayGrease

EastBayGrease Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Michael Joran or Wayne Gretzky or Joe Montanna had any particular charisma what so ever. They were all came across as fairly matter of fact guys...in no way were they a Ronaldinho or Shaq (all smiles). In fact, I would argue that in terms of personality and looks, LD is as equally marketable as all of these legendary players. And, with all due respect, it is this criticism of him as soft that I'm referring to...such as "Landy Cakes" or the reposting of the photo of him drinking from the fountain from the NY Times magazine (funny how no one ever posts the equally fruity photos of Beasley, McBride, or Pablo??)...What has he done that makes him soft. His return from Leverkusen is suspect, but there's a reasonable argument to defend it. Other than that he plays hard on the field, comes off as focused and determined. He talks $hit to Mexico. He fights for the ball. What about him was soft when he mustered up the effort in the last minutes of the MLS cup to beat two defenders and slot one into the side netting when his legs looked like they were about to collapse underneath him?

20. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Whatever. Jordan still has his Hanes on you.

then you haven't read many threads

He sure does, and I commend him for that. I would still like to see a little more fighting for the ball because he does it pretty darn well when he decides to. He can still get quite a bit better.

Absolutely nothing. And that is part of the reason many of us get frustrated with him. Often he could have done it more or against tougher competition, or even just showed more of a desire to do it in the future. Landon is great, but I think, even just because of his tone sometimes, that he comes off as complacent.

I know I (and others) judge him toughly, probably more toughly than he objectively deserves. Still, I think that is what he needs.

21. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    First of all, Id like to say I dont give a damn about his girl, and I wouldnt give her the time of day, until she put some meat on that frame, especially in the backside.

She is cute, but meh....I would beat it, once, then leave.

22. NaMusa75

NaMusa75 New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Unfortunately, SoCal
    Are we that full of ourselves that we think all the smack we talk on these boards are going to affect LD's play and emotions?

I think people tend to confuse popularity with greatest. Landon is very popular ... more popular than any other player our country has ever seen. Maybe even more popular than the combined popularity of Lalas, Cobi, Wynalda, Celo and Tab. However, he is STILL NOT the best player (skillwise) the US has ever seen. He's not even World Class yet (another loosely defined term). Does his enormous popularity along with his skills potential make him the Greatest Player? That might win over a lot of casual fans, but it doesn't win over the more serious ones ...

Back on topic, NO, we don't take Landon for granted ...

23. galperin

galperin Member

Feb 1, 2001
    Maineville, OH
    EastBayGrease makes some outstanding points. Thank you for bringing this up.

Landon Donovan deserves tremendous credit for what he has done for both MLS and the USMNT; on and off the field. For example:
    • His work behind the scenes during the whole USMNT bargaining debacle. Word was he was instrumental in getting things worked out. That really is something for a 23/24 year old; to go out of his way to take matters into his own hands for the betterment of everyone.
    • His leadership of the USMNT. For someone so young, it really is impressive the way he can lead a team, both on and off the field. He, along with DMB, really started the notion that the US can beat anyone in the world, and started that "winner's mentality" on the team. If he had not done this, I guarantee we would not have done so well in Japorea '02. On the field, he hustles his arse off.
    • His desire to play in MLS. I do not care why he wants to do this, all I know is he wants to play here, and he could care less what other people say about it. He is his own man, knows what he wants, and he goes after it whole-heartedly. Folks, that is what a leader is all about.
    • His incredible skill. Arguably, he has the most skill on the USMNT, and in MLS. JOB may have more skill, but of course he never plays. Maybe Claudio has better touch, but it is very easy to sayLandon has top 3 talent in the United States.
    • His willingness to promote soccer in the US, and to be a poster boy. I would imagine this is quite a lot to put on a person; harder than most of us can imagine, but I think he handles it quite well.
    • His success in MLS. I can't remember how many trophies he has, but it is a bunch, at least 1 Open Cup Trophy, and a couple MLS Cup trophies. Not bad at all.
    Personally, I am a huge Landon Donovan fan. And I thank him for all he has done, and for all he will continue to do.

24. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    From your listing of his accomplishments --- one this is sure -----
    You are most definitely a huge fan of Donovan.....

His willingness to be a poster boy for soccer in the USA? :)

25. EastBayGrease

EastBayGrease Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Santa Clara
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure, but it seems like Landycakes has become LD's new nickname (but maybe that's because I spent most of my time in SJ threads)...I think he's bashed significantly more than any other US player. I can't think of any US player who comes even close to receiving the same level of derision. I would imagine that these sentiments get expressed at MLS games too. Ideally, I think we should treat LD with a certain amount of respect...for being what he is to US soccer and its growth. Not to say he should never be taunted, but it seems self-defeating for the interest of US Soccer to dub arguably your most important player "Landycakes". It would be like Argentina calling Saviola "el maric0n " or Brazil naming Robinho, "the scrub"...it's not very supportive at all.

I don't know too much about the abilities of past US players, but from what I've read and seen, LD is arguably one of the most athletic players ever on the US squad. For example, on the USsoccer.com video page, they run "the beep test" which is essentially "run 'til you can't run anymore". LD holds the record for this fitness test, and in this particular test, at the end he's the only player still running with Heyduk (who runs just a bit longer and wins). Pretty impressive for someone who's not yet at their athletic peak.