Taking a PK with no run-up; legal?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Michael K., Sep 17, 2003.

1. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching Figo's stutter-step PK try yesterday got me to thinking about something I used to practice by myself for fun (in fact, I was out trying it in the park this afternoon...)

Is it legal to take a PK with no run-up at all? I mean, stand stationary behind the ball, pick a spot, and hit it?

It's nothing I've ever tried in a game (and probably wouldn't, unless the game was way out of reach), but with a little practice it's fairly simple to send it into either side-netting this way, making it a very hard shot to stop (hypothetically). Can I get a ruling?

2. pkCrouse

pkCrouse New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Pennsylvania
  3. csc7

csc7 New Member

Jul 3, 2002
    DC
    legal. i used to always start one step beyond the ball. the only movement was a single step to put my plant foot next to the ball.

4. roarksown1

roarksown1 Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Playa del Rey, CA
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the way Socrates used to take PK's for Brazil back in the day...

5. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely legal. Best (or at least most memorable/most important) PK I ever saw was taken in this manner. Jugovic, for Juventus, took a PK like this against Ajax (the 6'8" Van der Saar in goal) in the 1995 UCL Final. Jugovic set the ball and took a half step backwards. When the Spanish referee, Diaz Vega, blew the whistle, he just stared back at him as though he wasn't ready. Van der Saar also looked towards him, seemingly waiting for another whistle (and probably anticipating Jugovic backing up). Diaz Vega whistled again and Jugovic barely took a step and hit the ball of the inside of the post and into the net. Van der Saar absolutely guessed correctly (hard to disguise your shot without a run-up...one of the drawbacks of the tactics), but the shot was so perfect, it missed his extended hand by inches. Juventus went on to win the shootout.

6. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Figo's penalty

So what was the reason for the retake- encroachment? I don't think so..

Figo basically did the same run up to ball the second time as the first.

I saw one or two Marseille players in the area before the kick too. So if both teams players encroached on the first shot the goal should have stood correct?

Those knuckleheads on ESPN2 are useless IMHO.

7. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Figo's penalty

Yes. Figo encroached causing that goalkeeper to move prematurely and gaining unfair advantage.

The second time he studder-steped. The first time he deffinately came to a full stop.

The ruling was advantage to Marseille. If Figo missed the PK, then the advantage would have gone to Marseille as he was being called for the foul, not the Marseille players. But if both teams encroached, it still should be a rekick as Figo still gained unfair advantage with his full stop. If the ball had gone over, the ref could also have called a rekick as the Marseille players encroached. But we don't know as Figo scored on both PK attempts.

Agreed.

8. Hitman

Hitman Member+

Mar 31, 1999
    Re: Re: Figo's penalty

Well you should go check out the lengthy thread in this forum about this exact issue. The fact of the matter is that there is NO SUCH RULE in the FIFA rule book anywhere that mentions that a PK taker cannot stutterstep, come to a stop and in fact, if you download their Rulebook FAQ, there is actually a question about feinting and it claims that a kicker CAN...

argue amongst yourselves

9. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Figo's penalty

I must check this out

10. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Re: Re: Re: Figo's penalty

You are correct but if the player taking the penalty turns it into a joke the referee can book the player for delaying the restart of play or unsporting behaviour - take your pick.

Crowdie.