Take over the gold cup in chicago

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by helpmenow, Apr 15, 2007.

1. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    This is a very difficult question to ask w/o stating your budget.

If you want to be in the nicest hotels for a fancy weekend in Chicago, you go about 3 miles north of Soldier Field and will spend $300-400+/night on/around north Michigan Avenue. I might look at the Sofitel if you are considering something like this -- very contemporary. Ambassador East or Ambassador West are old hotels, not in perfect condition, but should be cheaper.

The next level down, on price probably takes you very close to Soldier Field and to Millenium Park and museums, but further from the shopping district and restaurants, and nightlife. Now you are talking about places like the Hilton Towers or Palmer House and that's going to run $200-$250. These spots are like a mile from SF and you could just walk to the games there.

If you want cheaper hotels, I would probably look for somewhere out near Midway airport. That would be in between Soldier Field and Bridgeview, but would still probably run you $150-200/night. And then you are basically on the side of a busy street out near the airport. But, if that's what the budget requires, that's where you will get clean, safe, less expensive.

Below these price points, I'm without ideas.

2. IlliniOnFire

IlliniOnFire Hostile AND Abusive

Oct 8, 2006
    Southern Illinois
    In the city is pretty pricy, if you are willing to pay.

As mentioned before, you can get something pretty affordable out in the burbs if you are on a budget... Toyota Park isn't near any good transit lines, but Soldier Field is...

As for getting around, there are 2 main train lines in Chicago. The CTA (the "el") runs in the city, and is pretty good... and as mentioned, runs 24/7. Its $2/ride and you can transfer lines.

Metra is more of a commuter rail line, and charges based on distance of travel (South edge of the metro area all the way into soldier field was like $4.70). It hits a few routes that the CTA doesn't... but most of the trains cut off at midnight, so be sure to plan ahead.

I think I'm gonna try and find a CTA park n' ride to get into the game...

3. moonbbad

moonbbad Member

May 21, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will chime in on the Hotel thing. I can't stress it enough. Use Hotwire. You will find some Killer deals. As of a "happy medium" that would be anywhere on the South Side of the city, problem with staying near Midway is it is not the best of areas. O'Hare is in a much better area, but it really isn't near Bridgeview, however, like other people have said, taking the CTA is the way to go. You can take the blue line then transfer to get to bridgeview.

Use this link for the CTA so you can check out the system maps:
    http://www.transitchicago.com/maps/systemmaps.html

If you are staying near O'Hare click on "View Northwest Side Map." If you are staying Near Midway click "View southwest side map." So you can see where soldier field is click "View Downtown Map." The closest stop is the red line Roosevelt stop. You can transfer right to the orange which will take you to Midway and Toyota Park. The problem with Toyota Park is it kinda away from an EL stop. So you would have to take the Orange to Midway, then The 386 Bus. If anyone else knows a better way please chime in...

4. khall

khall New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    Closer to Midway is advised if you're going to attend the Fire game on Friday because Midway is not even a mile from Toyota Park. Also, the Orange line of the EL runs from Midway to within half a mile of Soldier Field without having to change trains or anything.

5. Supersuperman99

Supersuperman99 New Member

Oct 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Why is the fire playing on Fri? I thought the had a bye?

Oh well shows what I know. Anyways just wanted wish all u guys a great time out there. I really wanted 2 make this one but sh*t happens. At least I got to see our boys out here in L.A. Well lets cheers our boys to a win and show em how Chi-Town does it

6. Rodneyd444

Rodneyd444 New Member

Aug 28, 2004
    La Habra, CA
    For a Hotel, try priceline.com; I got $60.00 for a suite at the Sheridan at O' Hare. I have stayed their before and they have a 24 hour shuttle to O' Hare and the El Station.

7. FW__

FW__ Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take the "El". Get off at Roosevelt (I know the red stops there) and walk about half a mile to Soldier Field (there is a CTA bus if you're that lazy, or drunk).

8. DLee

DLee Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Chicago
    Looks like they released tickets in the 400 level yesterday. Dead midfield is $50 and sides are $30. The low row midfield seats are great up there for Bears games. I would advise bringing a sherpa above about row 15 however.

9. Tizoc

Tizoc Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Milpitas, CA
    Hey all, I just got tickets to row 126. Anyone else in that area?

10. moonbbad

moonbbad Member

May 21, 2006
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is what I was talking about for last minute hotel deals:

http://www.hotwire.com/hotel/results...hId=4075683345

Looks like right now there is a 4 star near O'Hare for 84 bucks a night. That would put you real close to the blue line which would get you downtown...

11. AkronSoccerFan

AkronSoccerFan New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No but there's good news for guys wanting to sit with Sams Army. Tickets are still available as of noon Tuesday in section 121 (not 120 as stated on the Sams Army website - its cool though because 121 is sligtly bigger.)

Contact Eric Dumais at the Chicago Fire's main office for ticket info. Check the www.sams-army.com for the number.

Hotwire is offering two star rooms for $54 bucks a night just south of O'Hare. You cant beat that with a bat!

12. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    I'm guessing that with the Fire out of Soldier Field and no organized help from S8ers communicating with people that getting in flag poles, even PVC, will be a no go. I'd like to then instead put all my historical flags up down front. I haven't been to SF since before the final fire game.

Is it possible to use zip ties for the top and bottom or will I need tape?

And will we have either the baby or big ass flag?

13. gosh1976

gosh1976 Member

May 29, 2005
    atlanta
    Galaxian is bringing one of the two flags I'm not sure which one.

I've always wanted to see more flags and banners hanging at the US games I'm glad you'll be doing that.

14. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    I've decided spur of the moment to go to Chicago for the semifinal but can't get a hold of Eric. I hope their are still tickets for the Sams Army section. Any help?

15. gosh1976

gosh1976 Member

May 29, 2005
    atlanta
    did you call or email? here is all of his contact info

Eric Dumais
    Account Executive
    708.496.6787 (p)
    708.496.6050 (f)
    edumais@chicago-fire.com

let us know how it goes

16. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright im leaving for LAX right now. I will see you all in Chicago , hopefully at the Globe !

Chase

17. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    I got him a couple hours after I posted this yesterday. Girlfriend and I will be there sporting our reds. One of us in a bikini.

18. jpoler1

jpoler1 Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Bedford, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any word on whether the USMNT will be making any camio appearances anywhere, such as Niketown?

19. jpoler1

jpoler1 Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Bedford, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just called Niketown, it appears that the woman working at the store had no idea of any appearances today. I then called some marketing guy and left a voice message. It doesn't appear that the USMNT is making any appearances.:(

20. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Which one? ;)

21. directorman

directorman New Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Omaha
    I'm flying out tonight! Can't wait!

Wish I could pub crawl though--only 19 :mad:

Anywho, for those looking into a hotel, the Marriott by O'Hare has a US Soccer special, I got a super awesome room at about 94 a night.

Now I just have to figure out how to kill Friday and Saturday :eek:

22. Cmoney101

Cmoney101 Member

May 19, 2007
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm driving down on sat i can't wait. USA

23. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    If you were a pro wrestling fan I'd suggest the Ring of Honor PPV taping on Saturday night, otherwise that's all I have for you. lol

Of course... you could also see the Fire friendly on Friday at Bridgeview :p

24. jpoler1

jpoler1 Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Bedford, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dude. I'm from Omaha. Dundee for life!!

25. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suggestion from someone who won't be there

In the most recent USMNT blog entry, they go into how everyone on the team has the 311 song "Amber" stuck in their heads. The one which chorus goes:

Whoa, amber is the color of your energy
    whoa, shades of gold displayed naturally
    you ought to know what brings me here
    you glide through my head blind to fear
    and I know why
    whoa, amber is the color of your energy
    whoa, shades of gold displayed naturally

Mainly the first two lines in the chorus. They talk about how everyone sings it but no one knows the words to the second line. It would be great if you could get the supporters section to sing this to the team at some point, or even better, adopt the lyrics of the second line to mention guys on the national team. As evidenced by the original, you don't actually have to have a perfect rhyme with "energy". At least get the "Whoa" part going.