Take heart, conservatives

Discussion in 'Bill Archer's Guestbook' started by bojendyk, Nov 5, 2008.

1. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    I originally planned to write a joking post about how, now that the party is over, you should expect us to be stopping by your homes later today to reclaim your property on behalf of the people. Stuff like that.

Instead, I'll be earnest. Regardless of how much you disagree with Obama, there's this to consider: For as much as the rest of the world hated Bush . . .

England hasn't yet had a Prime Minister of Indian, Pakistani, or African descent.

France hasn't yet been led by a black person or by someone of north African ancestry.

Germany hasn't yet been led by a Turkish-German.

Mexico hasn't elected a Mexican Indian.

India hasn't elected a Muslim, and Pakistan hasn't elected a Hindu.

None of the eastern European countries have elected Roma.

America, ******** yeah!

2. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, NOW you people don't think America is still one big Klan rally!

The worst part of the day has been reading quotes from some of the countries which you mentioned above about this "new America" that's no longer some big bad Anglo-Saxon Death machine (which we are by the way, and don't you forget it!), because we elcted Bryant Gumbel president. I guess Bill Clinton had Pat Buchanan as Sec of State and Jimmy Carter was a John Bircher.

The worst part of last night was watching Jesse Jackson start tearing up like he didn't say he wanted to cut Barry's balls off a few months ago. Perhaps he realized that his career of extorting money with claims of institutional racism will look a little silly with a brother as "The Man".

3. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    I never thought that, but let's also not kid ourselves: there was considerable, very real race- and (false) religion-based prejudice out there directed toward Obama. It shames me that a lot of it reared its head during the primaries. But yeah, it was there.

Two things about Jackson:

(1) He's slimy, he's an extortionist, and he gravitates toward microphones like sorority girls gravitate toward kegs. And yeah, his comments several months ago were obnoxious and clearly signaled concern about his upcoming lack of relevance in the black community.

But let's also be fair here. You've no doubt seen this famous photo, taken the day before James Earl Ray murdered Martin Luther King.

[​IMG]

Regardless of what he turned into, he still grew up in an era in which black people couldn't vote but did occasionally get hung from trees for looking at white women. Last night, he was just some guy in the middle of a crowd of 70,000 people, witnessing something that he likely never dreamed was possible, even when he made his own narcissistic runs at the White House in the 80s. Juan Williams got choked up about it on FOX last night. Apparently, Condi Rice did too while discussing the result this morning.

In 1999, I was living in Prague. I went into the city center on a night to meet a friend, not realizing that the city was celebrating the 10th anniversary of the Velvet Revolution. Until last night, it was the most amazing event I've ever seen. As much as we Americans claim not to, to some degree, we take our freedom for granted. We can't help it. We were born with it, we have it now, and we'll die with it still intact. Our attempts to imagine what life is like without those freedoms always fall short. The young Czech people that night expressed gratitude and hope in a manner that I'd never seen before. You're Polish, correct? Perhaps you've witnessed something like this before. I hadn't. It humbled me. Last night felt the same way.

I don't kid myself about what kind of person Jackson is. But last night was probably the only sincere moment with him in the past forty years of his life. I don't doubt that for a moment.

I think you'll like item #2 more.

(2) Reportedly, when Jackson's face appeared on the jumbo-tron screens in Grant Park last night, several young *black* people gave him the finger. :D

4. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    One real question this election will force folks to ask is this:

Is this the end of the "race card?"

Anyway, the real winner of this election is David Axelrod.

5. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    I would be perfectly content to never hear this term again. Same goes for "maverick," "seal the deal," and "Joe the Plumber."

6. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cartoons...

[​IMG]

Through parody even the liberal leftist media might finally ask a few questions about the elected official they just subsidized...

7. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I, for one, never thought it was.

Gotta agree with this; European caricatures of Americans are about as nuanced as describing the French as "cheese-eating surrender monkeys" but not as funny.

Making him and Al Sharpton irrelevant might be one of the finest accomplishments of this election.

8. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    After reading the recent leaks about Sarah Palin's ignorance on basic issues, etc., conservatives should *really* take heart that her national ambitions appear to be over.

I really despised Edwards and am relieved that his career has ended for good. Conservatives should take heart--seriously, you should be very, very relieved--that Palin's career has also ended for good.

9. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Actually, I thought that was one of the best parts. I'm not a big Jesse Jackson fan by any means. In addition, I think it has been pretty clear that Jesse is no Barack Obama fan. They certainly have policy differences but beyond that, there was the jealousy of a man who HAD to pay a lot of dues in this country that Barack never did watching a man who benefited from the very movement he dedicated his life to blow by him in relevance.

Knowing that he was not a big fan of Barack the man or Barack the politician, those spontaneous, very real and voluminous tears sealed the deal for me on the absolute importance of what we were witnessing in Grant Park. That it was a moment that went way, way beyond Barack Obama in a way that would make that moment at 10:00 central time last as one of the great markers of time in our country.

He wasn't crying because Barack got elected. He was crying because the biggest barrier in a multi-century struggle had come down.

10. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    Congratulations to Barrack Obama, I hope the Country gets healthy under his leadership.

I'm still trying to figure out why Gringotex and the left love him so much though. Especially after Gringo's defense of illiegal immigration when Obama voted to build a wall to keep them out!

I think there is a thing called a "true conservative". Maybe Obama winning will end the era of what the left (incorrectly) calls "neoconservatives". Maybe the party will return to it's roots and classical liberal economists will run the party and people like Ron Paul will have more influence. The republican party seems lost and alot of it can be blamed on George W Bush and Dick Cheney.

11. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Serious question--how would you define a "true conservative"? From your post, I assume you mean a return to a less interventionist foreign policy, as well as support for free markets and civil libertarianism.

I wish both parties had more room for conflicting views and unorthodox thinking. The Democrats still haven't shaken off some bad lessons they mislearned from Vietnam. Pro-military intervention Democrats like Lieberman shouldn't be forced to run as independents.

12. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    [youtube]c3_95F5e-Ac[/youtube]

BRAAAAAAAINSSSS

13. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Frankly, the more I think about this election, the more pissed off I get.

Really, think about who has just become president. We have elected the most left leaning Senator, who
    • sat in a racist church for 20 years (whether for cynical political reasons or because he actually liked the ideas, either alternative is chilling)
    • has questionable domestic terrorist connections,
    • has ties to groups engaged in widespread voter fraud,
    • took questionable/ethically troubling if not downright illegal contributions after hypocritically backing out of his pledge to take only public money,
    • repeatedly played the race card,
    • was never vetted by the media who licked his sphincter throughout the campaign (see Dana Millbank's homoerotic paean as the nadir of this tendency)
    • is completely unqualified.....

and what?....we are told to shut up and join with the likes of the folks in the PC&E cesspool in worshiping this man? Perhaps even celebrate because he is an African American?

Why should we give Obama the pass that they never gave to George Bush for one second?

Republicans may have been incompetent, but the worshipful throngs who utter hosannas to BO are downright delusional. People believe that he can get us out of Iraq without consequences. They also overestimate the payoff of being loved by "the rest of the world". They believe that we could have magically avoided the popping of the housing bubble if Obama were in the White House instead of Bush.

In bad times, people have a lot of fantasies about how things would have been had things not been the way they were. No, reality is too disturbing to them. "Eww...just too messy" they think. "Give me the thin cool looking post racial guy in the tailored suit!" You know, the guy who looks like he just stepped out of a Ralph Lauren commercial.

Yep, the poor naifs pour their hope of a better future into "change" (because anything is better than this, right?) and he shrewdly -- and I daresay quite cynically -- let them do it. So what if some crazed loon thinks that Barack is going to pay her her mortgage? So what if some Obamajungend choir sing about "change" and "rearrange" and "save us" in the kind of saccharine banality that makes any reasonable person want to puke?

Because in the end, fantasies are pretty much all his supporters have about Obama. I still don't know what or who he is. What are his bedrock principles, really? Is he the guy who cozied up to Samantha Powers' crazy ideas about the Middle East, or the character who claimed he was all for Israel? What does he in fact believe in? Who knows? And then I am supposed to ignore all of the troubling things about him and hope he is a "pragmatist." Really?

Tell me, what does "change" concretely mean? Hope for what? The devil's in the details and he has given no details in his campaign - except maybe "spreading the wealth around". I've read the position papers on his web site and they're crap.

He won because he successfully convinced a slice of the electorate that by virtue of being from the opposite party, and being NOT George Bush, he would magically make things different. By being completely vague and uttering vacuous platitudes he allowed every individual to mold him as their own version of a savior and that's what they voted for.

It's a kind of mass hysteria that is very very disturbing.

14. IntheNet

IntheNet New Member

Nov 5, 2002
    Northern Virginia
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Karl... chill out... Relax... perhaps the leftist media getting this liberal Chicago bozo elected may pay big dividends downstream... he's only been president-elect two days now and already we have the biggest two-day drop in the Stock Market since 1987; Israel is firing missiles at Islamic militants in northern Gaza; terrorist Ahmadinejad offering Obama congratulations; and Vladimir Putin is trying to reclaim Russian presidency. If this disaster in the making goes on for another week it won't take long for the nation to realize it made a terrible mistake and move to rectify it by rendering the election null and void as a national security measure... hell we could be in a Depression long before the January inauguration and even the most lefty lib would approve another election on the merits... I can't decide which Joker quote from the 1989 Batman movie is more applicable here; it is either: "...Hello, Vinny. It's your Uncle Bingo. Time to pay the check..." or "Can somebody tell me what kind of a world we live in, where a man dressed up as a *bat* gets all of my press? This town needs an enema!" Every once in a while voters get exactly what they want and then they realize they made a mistake asking for it... let's watch what happens here and chill out as spectators to the political car crash... Relax...

Okay... I'll give you that one.. having the two highest politicos in the White House named Barack and Rahm is very disturbing... even creepy...

15. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, except for this....

[YOUTUBE]DPy2alWEZ-U[/YOUTUBE]

16. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999

Well look at the principles of the Republican party of 50 years ago and look at it now. I know Bill Archer, IntheNet and Karl K support the Iraq war but most Republican presidents pre-Bush would have avoided it in my opinion. Even Bush's father handled the gulf war better. I think this started with Reagen and his massive military budgets and snowballed from there. I think strict adherance to the constitution would be a good start for the Republicans to get back to their roots. The framers are probably turning int heir graves because of how much people are taxed in 2008.

17. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Except was carrying on the Right's fight against the Soviet threat that had been going on for decades. And what part of the Constitution have been throttled the past eight years?

18. Microwave

Microwave New Member

Sep 22, 1999
    I know. I like Reagen except I can't justify the debt and military spending. Outspending the Soviets is one thing I guess....but getting involved in Central America is another entirely.