Take a moment for the ladies

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by tsb11, Jul 7, 2019.

1. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    They completed their WC run to back to back titles today besting the Dutch 2-0. Along the way they knocked off the other 2 best teams in the tournament France and England.

I know this is an MLS forum, but I wanted to take a moment to appreciate the ladies

2. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    The evolution of the women's game over the last 24 years has been impressive. There is no doubt that they are more fun to watch than the USMNT, which ironically is now the work in progress.

RevsLiverpool and BERich repped this.
  3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Love watching Rose Lavelle. She is so far ahead of anyone else technically - it's not even close. Great to see her unleash her shot without hesitation, showing perfect shooting form - and seeing her reward in a sweet goal.

Lavelle and Mewis are the future of the USWNT - great to see them both play so large on the highest stage.

4. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dunn made a great stop which set the Lavelle goal in motion. Great individual effort by Rose. MVP moment of the game was when Kelley O'Hara picked up the flag off the ground that Allie Long threw. Epic Fail on Allie's part

5. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    It's also unfortunate that Boston doesn't have a NWSL team anymore. Rochester (where I live) had one for a few years, but they moved to NC. NWSL and WPS games in Rochester were great - super cheap tickets, fantastic level of play.

6. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I now that my daughter plays, we watched some of the WWC games and she wants to check out a live game or 3. I guess the best women's soccer around will have to wait until the fall when the colleges start.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  7. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What particularly sucks is that if the Breakers were still around, we’d have Lavelle playing right here....

a517dogg and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  8. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love the confidence this team displayed. They knew they could win it right from the opening kickoff. Ellis got the tactics right and the players did what they needed to do to win it. Agree on Rose but so many stepped up. Even with many players in their 30s there's still a bright future for the WNT.

9. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I wasn't impressed with Ellis' tactics, but they got by. I don't think they were ever good in managing leads in the knockout rounds. And, I felt against Spain, we were seriously out-coached.

I also think we caught a huge break when Germany was upset. I think they would have provided a bigger challenge than either England or The Netherlands.

Crooked repped this.
  10. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly I am happy for them but some of those videos surfacing are less than impressive. They just come across as every day drunk idiots you see at any bar

11. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's pretty much par for the course for any team that wins a major championship. The Blues were horribly drunk on their championship parade. One of my work buds (the guy I lost a bet to :mad:) had one of the players reach out for his 3-year-old son. He let him hold the kid with no problems (nice photo op!) but a few seconds later he had one of those "What the hell did I just do?" moments...

a517dogg repped this.
  12. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    ... which is kind of justified, no? And not any different than any other men's championship sports team?

The USWNT have always been held to this unfair standard of being family-friendly and role models to young girls. It's refreshing to see them be their honest selves while still empowering and inspiring the country.

13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I don't get this. We've seen some of the antics that men pull when they win their "World Championships" in American sports. Why is this any different?

Feldspar and Crooked repped this.
  14. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, you would have HATED me after that championship win then. I'm pretty sure I'm not allowed back in France... Worth it.

tsb11 and BrianLBI repped this.
  15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not ever say it was different. I don't see the need for anyone ever to get drunk and make an ass of themselves and blast it over the internet. Great you won the NBA title, WC, SuperBowl etc.. have fun, relish the moment as its a rarity but do it with some dignity

16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We won the Open Cup, and we weren't even on the team and partied till 5am. Sorry that bugs you.

ToMhIlL repped this.
  17. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And didn't some Rochester Winos fans think you were players on the team, especially when you were in the store an hour before gametime, buying large quantities of beer?

18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not the only time that's happened. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

BrianLBI repped this.
  19. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 1991 a woman in a store thought I was a member of the US National team because I was wearing a T-shirt--not even a jersey--for the team. OK, I was in much better shape then, but still...

A Casual Fan repped this.
  20. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough if you're applying it to everyone. But there is a line of argument that these guys and gals have been (hopefully) showing all sorts of restraint and dignity as they've been working on the field/court to try and win. And now that they've reached the pinnacle of their sport, winning the biggest trophy, they've got a chance to let go of months, if not years, of built-up tension. Sure, maybe it'd be nice if they didn't go overboard. But if they're all adults and aren't hurting anybody, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

21. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats like after every game for you isn't it?:p

22. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Two things I wondered about while watching the WWC finals:

- there were an awful lot of on-field injuries throughout the tournament. I know the heat was definitely a factor in many of the games, but it seemed like virtually every game had a lot of instances of players staying down on the field, requiring assistance. As a result, the amount of injury time after the first and second half was pretty much off the charts. Is the women's game getting that much more intense? Rougher? More reckless? More tactical? There was one game where a player had a ball headed off the side of her face and ended up being down on the field for several minutes, then stretchered off.

- how did the players not sweat? Especially in those conditions. Men would be dripping like a leaky faucet in high 80's and humidity like that. The USWNT players were dry (though quite flushed) at the end of their matches.