tailgating for the home opener

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by ferrigamo, Mar 4, 2011.

1. ferrigamo

ferrigamo Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Springfield, Ohio
    Hi, I am a Crew fan. Years past, back when it was easy to hate you guys because we were always coming in second to you, I had made a few trips to your stadium. I found that there was beer and food to be had and you either donated or paid x amount of dollars. Anyways, are you guys still doing that and if so, is it still open to away fans as well? Also, are there any activites for the kids prior to the game? I will be bringing 6 and 7 year old boys.

Thanks,

Mike

2. emanon

emanon Member

Aug 17, 2007
    MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Screaming Eagles still has tailgate food/beer available that you can purchase (I'm guessing that is what you are remembering from your prior visits).

Barra Brava & District Ultras have more of a potluck type set-up (ie bring something to share with others).

All three supporter groups are set up in different areas of Lot 8.

And yes there usually are games/activities for kids in Lot 8. There is also the VW Garage in the stadium with some additional activities.

3. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Ours is not open to most away fans tho :D

But Crew fans have been coming last few years, this is opener and on Saturday, so I would bet there will be bunch of Crew guys that travel (and some live in this area). They usually set up in lot 5 for their tailgate I think, best to ask them of course.

4. emanon

emanon Member

Aug 17, 2007
    MD
    Club:
    DC United
  5. Potowmack

Potowmack Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt anyone cares at the Screaming Eagles tailgate that you're a Crew fan. If you're really concerned about it, just wait to put on your jersey after the tailgate.

There are some activities for kids at the SE tailgate, and the Volkswagen garage in the stadium has a ton of stuff for kids to do.

6. ferrigamo

ferrigamo Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Springfield, Ohio
    Well, I, like most of you, am just thrilled that the season is starting and on a side note, I would really like to see Charlie Davis not only start, but do well. Albeit a 4-3 result in favor of the Crew! Here is to the Crew and DCU in the eastern conference final!

Mike

7. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    I would suggest asking someone in SE. K? Paul? If they don't respond here, send a question to info@screaming-eagles.com

8. PedroUnited

PedroUnited Member

Oct 16, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're delusional to think you're welcome at any of these tailgates. Are you kidding?

9. BigKris

BigKris Member

Jan 17, 2005
    Falls Church, VA
    Maybe I'm getting old - or maybe it's because he's a Crew fan and not, say, a TFKAM fan, but I have a hard time working my way up to making him feel unwelcome at a tailgate.

I mean, come on, he's bringing his kids... It's not like he's gonna be shouting pro-Crew chants and trying to steal our banners.

1 person likes this.
  10. MattMathai

MattMathai BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 28, 2004
    Annapolis
    At Screaming Eagles tailgates, anyone is welcome before a match if they're respectful. That means no trash talking of DCU, no disrespectful signs, etc. Behave yourself and be friendly and you'll be welcomed. Well. tolerated, at least. :)

When the whistle blows, however, you're the enemy.

We've had a long history of visiting other supporters groups' tailgates when we travel. I think it adds a lot to a road trip experience.

2 people repped this.
  11. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^^ the same is also true of the barra tailgate... visitors are welcome, as long as you are respectful, we will respect you.

12. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Just bring beer or a bottle of something and you will be welcome wherever you go.

13. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be friendly and considerate - and nobody will care if you're wearing a Crew jersey.

You might be razzed a bit - but it will be all in good fun.

14. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    We'll even give you a complimentary bath in the Potomac :p

15. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu

fyp :)

16. entropy

entropy Member

Aug 31, 2000
    People's Republic of Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Speak for yourself, then. I, for one, plan on harvesting this Crew fan's organs to sell on the black market, and then selling his precious little boys into chattel slavery.

1 person likes this.
  17. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Actually the Crew fan kids organs would actually taste better so my plan was to harvest them & put them on the grill and sell the Crew fan into chattel slavery.

1 person likes this.
  18. DCU_Rick

DCU_Rick New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Right behind you.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? I've got questions about why you'd want to tailgate with the opposition, but I will just say that any declaration of uniform Barra behavior toward someone in opposition colors is not factual. We're not all on bigsoccer, and people will react differently by situation. Does nobody remember the cone getting thrown at the dude in the Beckham Jersey?

I would not recommend it.

19. DCUroma

DCUroma Member+

Jul 20, 2009
    Suck it Sensi
    Club:
    AS Roma
    or all the beer thrown at the Sounders people

20. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    The cone didn't just get thrown, it made pretty solid contact with the back of the guy's head. And it was one of the big cones, too. And then there's the issue of Big Robert.

Realistically, there are plenty of places to tailgate by yourself. Just grab takeout food and party supplies and find a spot. You may even find some other CC fans.

21. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you guys paint the barra to be a group of animals... its not like the guy will get stabbed and beaten to death simply for walking into our area... if he comes over with a 12 pack and is friendly, i bet you anything he will be welcomed.

however... if he were to say, come over in a san jose jersey and shove the badge in my face... he might get a free beer shower.*

* this may or may not have happened in the past.

22. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    The Barra used to have a standard that other teams supporters weren't welcome. I believe that there have been some exceptions which has continued to be explained that if you're "cool" - it's ok. I think this is a bad idea. I'm positive that Oscar doesn't want some idiot fan to become a shank porcupine - but avoid the situation.

I don't speak for the Barra leadership, but what fan wants to expose his kids to a potential problem. Stop at the Eagles - why continue to walk further.

Just my opinion.

23. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I'll send lost Crew fans your way Milonakis :D

24. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i can not be held liable for my actions

25. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No innocent beers were harmed in the making of this post.