Taegeuk Warriors General Transfer Thread Part II

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by jsk14, Sep 11, 2013.

1. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  2. Kenny South

Kenny South Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    South Korea
    May 25, 2019
    The central defender, who was linked with Watford before moving to the Chinese Super League (CSL) last year, was at the centre of controversy in China following the comments to Korean television.

The strapping 23-year-old, nicknamed "Monster", said that he was often "exhausted" by having to make up for the defensive deficiencies of his team-mates.

Kim also said that he did not know the name of Beijing's coach, the Frenchman Bruno Genesio.

The remarks, which went viral on Chinese social media, were taken as a general criticism of the quality of Chinese football and were roundly condemned.Â

Last year's CSL runners-up Beijing contacted Kim to make clear their unhappiness and he consequently made a verbal and written apology, Beijing Youth Daily reported.

Kim feels that he is the victim of selective editing during the recent interview, state media say, but that is unlikely to be the end of the matter.

https://www.besoccer.com/new/korean-monster-kim-censured-for-china-football-barbs-830718

3. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    hope the paychecks were worth it...fool

seolseol repped this.
  4. coated

coated Member

Jan 2, 2019
    The news and article posted above about his issues with his Chinese team are over a month old.

https://tbrfootball.com/report-arsenal-and-watford-want-south-korean-giant-kim-min-jae/
    Reported interest from Watford (wanted him last transfer window) and Arsenal. This article also links to a Portuguese source that mentions interest by FC Porto. A big hurdle is the price tag (13.5 million euros) and also whether his team will be willing to sell him or not.

seolseol repped this.
  5. Kenny South

Kenny South Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    South Korea
    May 25, 2019
    Portuguese outlet A Bola claim FC Porto, Arsenal and Watford are trying to sign Kim Min-jae. The Gunners have made at least one enquiry with the South Korean defender’s current club in China, trying to evaluate whether a transfer is possible.

The report suggests the move would cost around €15m, with Porto considering a partnership in South Korea to invest in the player to help get the deal done.

The 23-year-old has the nickname “Monster” and A Bola call him the “South Korean Van Dijk”. That’s an exaggeration to hype him up, but he has a solid reputation in Asia. The 6’3″ centre-back joined Beijing Guoan in January 2019 and helped them finish second in the league last season.

Kim Min-jae is up to 34 appearances for his current club, keeping 11 clean sheets. The new season was meant to start on February 22nd, but we’re still waiting on a restart thanks to coronavirus. Right now, the plan is to get going in late June with a shorter schedule.

The defender is also a regular for his country, with 30 caps. He helped South Korea keep seven clean sheets in their last eight games, but it’s worth mentioning seven games were in Asia World Cup qualifiers and the East Asian Football Championship (which they won). The eighth was against Brazil and they lost it 3-0.

https://dailycannon.com/2020/06/arsenal-make-enquiry-with-beijing-guoan-for-kim-min-jae/

seolseol repped this.
  6. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I want him to leave for a bigger league, but I think he ********d up when he signed for a chinese team.

inten and nmssis repped this.
  7. jessypjs

jessypjs Member+

May 3, 2010
    Club:
    AS Monaco FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  8. k_c_n_y_t

k_c_n_y_t Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    South Korea
    Nov 23, 2018
    RB Leipzig is interested in KMJ as well. Despite his decision to play in China I hope Beijing Guoan allows him to go.

9. Kenny South

Kenny South Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    South Korea
    May 25, 2019
    #3009 Kenny South, Jun 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    ME: His real value is close to 50 Million Euros. 15 million Euros wold be a steal for any team.

Everton among clubs chasing 'Monster' South Korea defender Kim Min-jae

-----

Kim Min-jae, the South Korea centre-half and one of the rising stars of football in Asia, is primed to move to the Premier League, with Everton having registered a firm interest and other clubs watching his situation. The 23-year-old, nicknamed “the Monster” because of his 6ft 3in frame and ability to dominate physically, is valued at £13.5m by Beijing Guoan, who are prepared to sell.

A host of clubs in mainland Europe want Kim, including RB Leipzig, Lazio, Porto and PSV Eindhoven, but his idea is to come to England. Watford have tried to sign him in the past and remain interested and Southampton are among the others to have inquired.

Kim has 30 caps – a tally that would be higher had he not missed the 2018 World Cup because of injury – and he has impressed scouts with his quick feet, long passing and reading of the game, as well as his aggression.

Kim rose to prominence with Jeonbuk Hyundai Motors in the Korean top flight, winning the league in 2017 and 2018 and being named in the division’s team of the season on both occasions. He joined Beijing Guoan in the Chinese Super League for a reported £4.5m in January 2019 and he has continued to develop.

Kim was a part of the South Korea under-23 team that beat Japan in the final of the Asian Games on 1 September 2018 – a result that secured him an exemption from 21 months of military service. He excelled for the senior team at the Asian Cup at the start of last year, even though they suffered a shock quarter-final defeat by Qatar, and was included in the tournament’s all-star squad.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...sing-monster-south-korea-defender-kim-min-jae

10. inten

inten Member

Apr 27, 2014
    No one is paying 15 million for him, that’s Beijing Gouan’s way of telling clubs to overpay or fk off.

Should have never gone to China if he wanted to eventually go to Europe.

seolseol and nmssis repped this.
  11. k_c_n_y_t

k_c_n_y_t Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    South Korea
    Nov 23, 2018
    Even though there hasn’t been any official transfers yet, I haven’t recalled a more exciting time for “summer transfer” rumors for Korean players. Talks of LJS potentially going to play in a top 5 league, HHC with links with exciting clubs like Wolves & RBL, KMJ with links with RBL, Lazio, Arsenal, & Tottenham is pretty cool. Even that one insane rumor of Son going to Real Madrid is pretty neat. I’m sure I’m catching my eggs before they hatch, but it’s just cool seeing Korean players getting more recognition by leagues in Europe.

12. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    And we probably end up with nothing :D

jessypjs and nmssis repped this.
  13. Kenny South

Kenny South Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    South Korea
    May 25, 2019
    15 million is almost nothing in today's market. Arsenal payed over 25 million to transfer David Luiz, and his crazy salary is laughable for what he's done for Arsenal. You don't he's worth more than Luiz?

14. k_c_n_y_t

k_c_n_y_t Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    South Korea
    Nov 23, 2018
    @Kenny South that maybe true, but considering all clubs took a financial hit cause of COVID I guess clubs are gonna be more thrifty with money this transfer window. And I guess 15 mil is a lot for an unknown and unproven player? Idk but ya at this point anyone is better than Luiz right now lol

15. inten

inten Member

Apr 27, 2014
    First off the transfer fee was 8 million pounds for David Luiz, or about 9 million euros. And yes David Luiz one year ago was more valuable than Kim Min Jae is now, are you fking insane?

David Luiz regularly started for top clubs for years, and was hitting the prime age for a center back. He was PL proven, and despite his occasional errors, had been instrumental for both Conte and Sarri at Chelsea, and has a ton of trophies from top European competitions, including multiple Premier League wins and a Champions League. Most arsenal fans thought 8 million pounds was an absolute bargain, ESPECIALLY considering it was a move from Chelsea to Arsenal, which is a really big London rivalry. Keep in mind, I think David Luiz has been utter shit for Arsenal and overrated for years, but even I think that the transfer wasn’t bad business.

Kim Min Jae is completely unproven against top level opponents. We see him as a physical monster, but he would be simply average stature for a center back in the Premier League or Bundesliga. We have no idea if his physical style of defending would translate well in the much more physical Premier League. Plus, almost every defender in Europe is asked to be fairly competent with the ball in the modern era, and personally I don’t think KMJ is anywhere near David Luiz in that respect. I think the only thing that KMJ has going for him is that he’s somewhat young, but at the age of 23 he needs to have more in his resume than just that.

15 million euros is a lot for a center back even pre-coronavirus. The fact that David Luiz went for far less from Chelsea to Arsenal (literal rivals in the world’s richest league) one year ago should be enough to tell you that the 15 million euro price tag on KMJ was put there to essentially tell other clubs that he’s not really for sale.

Also consider the clubs that are interested (Porto, Watford, etc.). They do not spend very much on transfers, and 15 million euros would be a huge transfer fee for them. Now factor in that almost every club in Europe lost (and is continuing to lose) a ton of money because of the pandemic, and I think it becomes clear that the price tag on KMJ is way too high.

epicurusepicurus repped this.
  16. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Will Sonny give a wink or the nudge to Levy on KMJ? He is in the price range

17. inten

inten Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Doubt it, Tottenham is pretty strapped for cash right now and Levy has a very strong distaste for overpaying for players to begin with. We’re talking about a player whose value on transfermarkt is under 1 million euros, and whose club is asking for about 15 times that. And I know transfermarkt isn’t the best measure of value as it’s a ballpark estimation that is missing some market factors, but it’s not going to be a whole order of magnitude off.

Guys who really shined in Asia like LJS and KCH as star midfielders recently moved to Europe for well under 2 million euros. Japanese players that are young prospects moving to Europe for the first time usually transfer for about the same. KMJ, a centerback (a position that typically commands lower transfer fees), is very likely going to be stuck in China if his club asks for more than 10 million euros.

nmssis repped this.
  18. jessypjs

jessypjs Member+

May 3, 2010
    Club:
    AS Monaco FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  19. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Levy is so cheap...lol But just imagine :geek:

20. inten

inten Member

Apr 27, 2014
    Honestly I see Kim Young Gwon as a much better fit for Tottenham. They really rely on distribution out the back right now and KYG is far better at that.

seolseol and nmssis repped this.
  21. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  22. coated

coated Member

Jan 2, 2019
  23. Kenny South

Kenny South Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    South Korea
    May 25, 2019
    #3023 Kenny South, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Kind of odd to see so many top teams interested in an "unproven" player.

Looks like Spurs are also interested in Kim.

https://www.reddit.com/r/coys/comments/hgv5gf/supposed_tottenham_hotspur_target_kim_minjae_has/

-----

BEIJING, June 24 (Xinhua) -- South Korean international Kim Min-Jae was in talks over a move from Chinese Super League side Beijing Guoan to Premier League club Tottenham Hotspur, according to the Titan Sports from China.

It is reported that the 23-year-old defender has attracted many club's interests, including Leipzig, Lazio, Porto, Eindhoven, Southampton, Inter Milan, and Tottenham Hotspur.

Tottenham Hotspur are now favorite to win the race for the defender this summer, according to the Titan sports.

The report states that Son Heung-min's influence is 'likely to prove pivotal' in Tottenham's attempt to win the race. Son has served the Hotspur since 2015.

It is said Beijing Guoan are willing to sell for around 15 million euros (about 16.9 million US dollars), which appears to fit Tottenham's budget. Enditem

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2020-06/24/c_139164362.htm

24. jessypjs

jessypjs Member+

May 3, 2010
    Club:
    AS Monaco FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    seolseol repped this.
  25. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003