Tae Guk GI The Brotherhood of War

Discussion in 'Korea' started by peruytu, Jun 30, 2005.

1. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

i just watched taegukgi for like the 3rd time last night

that girl in the beginning and the end is hot, but wasnt the lady who suicided that was on that drama bul-sae-jo, wasnt she in the movie Hello UFO? that movie was corny, the only reason why i watched it is because i thought she was on it :p

essvee you thought this movie was overrated?!?!? really?!?! wow.. what movies do you recommend essvee? the korean movies ive actually thought were good is: My Sassy Girl, Windstruck, Spin Kick, Taegukgi :eek: , He Was Cool, Arahan. My Tutor Friend, Who's Got the Tape, Make It Big, and Marathon, and monks lets go to seoul

i thought marathon, monks lets go to seoul, taeukgi, and my sassy girl were the best movies ive seen in my life, im starting to like korean movies more than american

2. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I prefer buying the movies, i must support the best movie industry in the world :)

3. peruytu

peruytu Member

Jan 19, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Thanks hanul21!

As far as buying the movies goes, i'm a war and foreign movie buff, so I dont mind downloading movies because if its good, then i'll buy it, regardless if I have seen it already. Anyways, downloading movies is like renting, just a bit cheaper. ;)

4. Step-Over

Step-Over Member

Mar 29, 2003
    Interestingly, I support the best Swedish film company in the world: Private Entertainment.

5. peruytu

peruytu Member

Jan 19, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Swedish movies... some of the best in the world, with Ingmar Bergman being the best director in the history of movie-making!

6. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah i guess we've made som great movies to :)

7. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Hey, If you got some hot swedish actress in a Swedish movie with a possibility of a nudity content, i'm all in for watching some swedish movies. :D

8. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    ditto on Ingmar Bergman. but more importantly, weren't the Swedes the first to film p0rn?

as far as Tae Guk GI goes: just bought the DVD, look forward to watching it.

9. GuruSky

GuruSky Member

Jan 7, 2004
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    did anyone see 까불지마? not the best movie but it was one of the funniest movie I've seen lately.

노주현 and 최불암 sure did lower their images, though.

but 오지명......we all knew even before that he's an OG, so it was nothing special. :D

10. cha doo ri

cha doo ri Member

Jul 17, 2004
    L.A.
    tae guk gi is a sad ass movie.....i just saw fighter in the wind it was alright....i heard that it is nothing near true....can anyone help?? and my family is visiting from korea and they brought a sh1tload of krn movies just saw memories of murder....great movie

11. K:thecore

K:thecore Member+

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Anyone want to describe the emotion after watching "Chingu"

I wasnt sad, but I definitely wasnt happy.

Strange feeling

12. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Maybe it's 'the Foul King' (반칙왕 )? I haven't seen the movie, but I read something about it - and it stars Song Gang-Ho.

13. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Nostalgia? The actual relationship between the characters and the plot weren't really that extraordinary (friends growing up together, jealousy, betrayal and then sad ending with death), but it was the accurate rendering of the Korea's recent past that really made it to be a big hit, I think. I don't think youngsters or those who grew up overseas would appreciate this movie as much as those who are a bit older and lived thru' the period of 60's, 70's and 80's et c in Korea.

14. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Loyalty, Frustration, Kinship, Betrayal, Revenge, Nostalgia, Sorrow, Rage, Expectation, Greed, Egotism, Happiness, Love.

Theres gotta be a word that describes the above homogenization.

15. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Angst?

16. K:thecore

May 20, 2002
    Honolulu
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Good one...wasnt quite what I was feeling but pretty damn close.

17. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Yeah THERE YOU GO!!! The Foul King. Yes that's the movie i'm talking about. I liked it, it was pretty hilarious.

18. ㅅㅂㄹㅁ

ㅅㅂㄹㅁ New Member

Jun 17, 2005
    i recommend 'barking dogs never bite' (플란다스의 개).

taegukgi is a pretty good movie. but its kinda ironic that jang donggun who is never gonna be in the army played the starring role :rolleyes:

19. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    I thought it was over-rated because it was a cheesy attempt in emulating what the United States have already mastered. I personally recommend "The Band of Brothers" (although it is not a movie nor is it even Korean) if you're into war, it's disparities, and even brotherly love (who's into that anyway).

As for the movies I liked, I am not a big fan of the "$hitz - n - Giggles" genre so that pretty much excludes half of your list. As I said earlier somewhere else on the Asia Boards, I liked "봄 여름 가을 겨울 그리고 봄" very much possibly because I am heavily influenced by Buddhism. Apart from it's philosophy, it was like reading a book good - leaves you thinking about the ending, whether if it was good or bad - and probably one of those movies that feels different each time you watch it (even as you age, I presume).

(btw, if anybody liked this movie other than me, watch the Chinese movie 2046)

I also liked 내 머리속의 지우개. Alzheimer is always a bitch (from experience).

Oasis

and

그때 그 사람들 because it really shows how history can be filtered and altered by the one who is telling it (and it actually pissed me off).

20. Deleted Users

Deleted Users Member+

Nov 25, 2001
    Strange but not a bad feeling.

21. Elliad

Elliad Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Hm, some of the movies (from what I remember) that I don't mind watching again every now and then (in no particular order):

JSA
    Someone Special
    My Sassy Girl
    Lovers' Concerto
    Superstar Gam Sa-Yong
    Hello! UFO
    Chingu

22. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That movie is my favourite.

23. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

Hello! UFO wasnt bad, but they could've made it better.

24. KovenDreamer

KovenDreamer Member+

Apr 17, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I think Taegukgi Hwinalrimyeo beats Silmido, Shiri, Oldboy, and Bom yeoreum gaeul gyeoul geurigo bom put together. Better acting, better story, and better music.

Though I hate how they changed the title from the real English translation, "Waving the Taegukgi" to "Brotherhood of War."