T-Mobile G1

Discussion in 'Technology' started by JeremyEritrea, Sep 29, 2008.

1. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. canesfan00

canesfan00 New Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Miami
    I was wondering when someone was going to create this thread. I starting to get pissed off with ATT and I'm anti I-phone. I will definitely keep my eyes on this thread and wait until I read all your reviews before purchasing one. Hope you enjoy yours.

3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This might be a good place for this post.

Back around 2002-2004, I kept calling a t-mobile number and getting various "t-mobile error codes" enough to make me go crazy.

Now, on another t-mobile number, i'm getting a "please input your 10 digit t-mobile voicemail number."

It's only t-mobile that I have these problems with.

Interestingly enough, it's only those two phones in question though. AFAIK, i've never had problems calling other t-mobile numbers.

Just what exactly is/was going on?

4. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My phone arrived today. I absolutely love it.

5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Is it possible to get one with just a data/internet plan? Looks nice, but I have no desire to fork over $30/month for a voice plan...

6. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Darn, when is Verizon going to get a cool phone?

7. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Is the BlackBerry Storm coming out over there this month?

8. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I think so. My Dad was talking about getting it today.

9. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Honestly, i'd rather have any of these over one that causes speakers to buzz everytime someone calls me.

My friend switched from Sprint to get one of the new iPhones. Everytime I call him, he seems like he's really distant. You wouldn't know he's on a smartphone by the way the microphone picks his voice up.

10. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mike, how is the GPS on the G1? Reviewers have bitched about it.

11. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't had any problems with it.

12. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I should have had mine on Friday but it has been delayed a week. :(

13. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. luis_mx

luis_mx New Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Falls church
    Wish I had a bit of $ to spare, damn I have an older T-mobile phone. Time to work hard for that android. Maybe I should wait till a second version of it. :D

15. Cabster22

Cabster22 New Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Washington, DC
    I'm on Verizon, so I'm tied down to my BlackBerry. Excited to try out the Storm, though. Has anyone had a chance to use it since it came out?

I don't care what phone I use, just as long as I have an RSS Reader and Google Maps mobile - like a little GPS unit (with the same Tele Atlas maps) in my pocket all times.

16. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    I have and, despite the usual initial issues, love it. It is not my Storm though, unfortunately. Vodafone will only port your number over at the point of sale and I'm currently waiting on my current network to get off their arse and process my request. The wait is painful.

17. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    An asinine review.

19. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most of Pogue's issues are software-related, and things they can probably fix with updates.

The reviews of the Storm are probably the most polarizing I've seen in a while. People either love it or hate it. My friend has been a BlackBerry user for a while, and he thought the Storm was terrible. Just a reminder to try the thing out before buying it.

Used the G1 a bit at the T-Mobile shop the other day, and while the software is really nice, the hardware could use some work. Felt way too cheap and plasticky. Like using a GM car to check my e-mail.

20. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    In regard to the Storm, since my last post was not the most constructive, the only issues thus far have been software related and there is already a firmware update out (4.7.0.75) with another that has been leaked from RIM with even more fixes. Unfortunately most negative reviews appear, from their list of complaints, to be based around one of the original firmware iterations that had an update available from day one. Of course rather than update the firmware certain people have instead bashed the device as is. Other than that these reviews spend a great deal of time whining about two issues. The first being the lack of a keyboard (which has little impact on any competent user aside from personal preference). The second being the lack of WiFi which is not a necessity because of the networks it operates on. If you judge the Storm based on hardware, what it can do and factor in the software complaints are being rectified then it is a very, very good piece of kit. Plus let us not forget about all of the initial problems certain rivals had on and immediately after lauch day.

21. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    As a devil's advocate, for a smart phone, you could make the argument that software is (almost) everything. And yes, software is fixable, but it is crucial to the user experience, and user experience, and not feature set or hardware, is what smart phones need to compete on. And it raises the question of whether RIM gets it - "Oh, but we'll release the firmware" suggests that it's treated as an afterthought. Not saying that's what RIM is thinking, but I don't think "software is fixable" is a particularly good defense.
    I'm guessing reviewers were working with advance versions of the devices, and submitted their reviews before the firmware update.

22. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I got a Samsung Omnia for free last week.

I'm not much of a techie, so I think it'll suit my needs just fine. Windows Mobile hasn't exactly gotten the best comments, but internet explorer so far seems to work fine.

One thing I do wonder is why developers throw common sense out of the window when developing fun new things. But the phone has survived it's first week, so i don't foresee any hard impacts on walls occurring in the near future.

Guess that makes me a satisfied customer.

23. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    So. Getting back to G1. Does the Behold give it good competition? I am thinking of getting the Sammy Behold. :D