Szetela to United?

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by sch2383, Oct 24, 2003.

1. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Szetela to United

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/man_united/story.jsp?story=456973

Great news on our best youth not named Freddy.

2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow, this is some potential great news. I just called my cousin in London and told him that if they keep signing our guys, they aren't gonna want to face us in a WC!! LOL This is just a great sign of things to come.

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found this very interesting from the article.

If that comes to pass, we're gonna have a great thread on here about how this could affect the club system in the US.

4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think it is already in the midst of affecting the club system. that is one of the reasons that MLS is dying to get Adu. If he is nearly as good as advertised, they will not only make money on him on the front side, but then they can make a nice chunk of change of him on the back end as well.

5. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    how about putting a "?" in the title next time

6. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    the things i could start to say about this article......

First, there are a LOT of clubs interested in Danny Szetela.

Second, the bit about the fee is kind of off. Yes a youth club could receive some money from a pro club (I know of one instance with an American going overseas where this has happened).

Third - he wouldn't qualify for a work permit right now, so the idea of him signing in the next few days is wrong. come on superdave - are you slipping?

Fourth - he's in France now being looked at by a lot of people.

I need to check on it, but I think there is something quite incorrect re the bounce match with Walsall bit. I will try to clarify by the beginning of next week.

7. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    That's the first thing I thought also.

8. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I agree, the transfer fee talk was definitely the most interesting part about the article; I wonder, however, why exactly one would have to be paid. I'm suspicious because a lot of these writers don't seem to have any understanding of what the club system in America is like.

Obviously, Szetela is not going to have signed a contract with World Class Olympic (perhaps it's not obvious, but I've never heard of this being done in the USA). And FIFA hasn't been making other clubs, whether it be MLS (Gaven, Memo) or overseas (Spector, Gelstenberger, etc.) pay the youth clubs developmental fees, so I don't really see what would compel Man U to pay anything.

However, if they do, it could obviously have a pretty significant impact on how youth clubs develop players.

9. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Isn't he supposed to have a Polish passport, Gers? It was my understanding that they, like Hungary, were getting work permits because Poland is due to be accepted into the EU, although it hasn't happened yet. Does Szetela, like Howard, not actually have a passport right now?

10. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
  11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gers...I'm not sure if Poland is in the EU now, or is going to go in at the same time as Hungary, but I'm 99% sure it's one or the other. So he'll be OK soon.

12. Duncan

Duncan New Member

Mar 19, 2003
    Szetela to United

1st May 2004 the EU will be expanded by Poland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Slovenia, Malta and Cyprus.

13. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    no shit, can they leave our young players alone...

14. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    yes - but i don't think that will get a youth player in just now. He's going to finish the year at Bradenton at any rate.

there's quite a bit more going on here just now

15. Duncan

Duncan New Member

Mar 19, 2003
    Szetela to United

Didn't Spector commit himself to Man Utd but stayed in Brandenton to finish that cycle.

Also I've looked at some UK immigrtion sites and they are not exactly throwing WP's to the 'EU associated countries', such as Poland. But by May of next year it won't be a factor assuming the eurocrats are satisified and the expansion happens.

16. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better now, Jim? :D

17. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What tournament is going on in France?

Gersman - what clubs?

18. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Val De Marne

Japan, Poland, US and France

19. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    The money wouldn't be a transfer fee but would be compensation for costs incurred developing the player. Sunderland received compensation (even when he left on a free transfer) from Manchester United for David Bellion. In order for the club to get compensation, the player must be under 23 years when he is purchased by the next team. An arbitrator than fixes the amount of compensation, unless the purchasing club works out an acceptable agreement with the "home club".

This situation came up with the spanish player (Rojas?) that Metrostars were considering purchasing before this season, as well.

I was under the impression that the compensation had to be based on the costs of actual services, instruction and benefits by the home club, but the Bellion case resulted in a guaranteed £2million fee (up to £3million fee including add on bonuses for appearances, sell on clauses and the like).

www.news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/ teams/s/sunderland/3123244.stm

www.uk.biz.yahoo.com/031016/80/ebaiy.html

http://www.examiner.ie/breaking/2003/10/16/story117592.html

Obviously, the fact that Szetela is younger than Bellion and is not as highly rated as a prospect would likely lead to a lower fee for his home club, but it still doesn't hurt.

20. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks.

Any results on these matches? I didn't notice any other threads.

--
    As for the fee to the youth club, I think that only applies if the player is playing on a scholarship. If mom or dad is writing a check for fees, then the youth club doesn't qualify for the fee.

21. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    France beat Poland today 5-0, but the French Federation web site doesn't carry the result of the other match today, USA-Japan.

USA plays Poland on Thursday and France on Saturday. Hopefully GersMan or someone else has someone out there to give us a report.

22. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    pancifc speaks truth - so the examples Liverpool gives are from another world really, players don't pay to play on a youth team for a European professional club, they almost all to to play for a US team.

BUT, there could be a fee paid, more as a token gesture, I think that's what happened in the cases I'm aware of involving players who have signed over seas in the past year.

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In Championship Manager, how good or potentially good the player is has the biggest impact on the transfer fee. FWIW.

And I think it's worth alot...CM tries very, very hard to get the business/rules side of the sport right.

24. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    This is what I notced. Both DaMarcus Beasley and Landon Donovan ahve very avergae skill ratings yet, you can't Donovan for anything less than 12 Mill, and Beasley is rated at around 6 Mill to open the game

25. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Too bad he's not playing for Poland. They could use some help right now. :)