Szetela on the Trading Block

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by jason1551, Dec 13, 2005.

1. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
  2. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, and I hate to see Crew give up Young Daniel.

I think the kid has a world of potential that has been squandered and misdirected while playing the better part of two seasons for Zippy the Pinhead.

I'd like to see what a year or two under a competent professional coach would do for him. If nothing else, playing for Big Sig would help him lose - in a hurry - the attitude he seems to have acquired by playing here at The Jimmy Buffet Key West Beach Party and tennis Club.

Sigi isn't a big ego/head case/tyrant like an Arena, but he's a no-nonsense professional who has a job to do and feels that you do too, and since he's in charge and you're not then therefore you have to do it the way he wants it done or he'll find someone else.

3. The Greatest

The Greatest New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Ohio
    http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/article.php?article_id=5049

So McCullers and Wuerth have already shot down the Szetela part of Ives' aritcle, now MoJo has shot down the rest of it:
    But that's OK, Ives, let's just keep throwing around teenagers' names in supposed trade talks, it doesn't affect them at all. :confused:

4. strider026

strider026 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Huh
    Hear Hear. Being first and foremost a fan of US players I hope Danny gets the coaching to be the player he can be. Would have loved to see him on Metro but just dont want to give up Tim.

5. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Or maybee it did happen and MoJo is just covering his ass. If it was proposed and turned down would Mojo tell Gaven that? I dont think so.

6. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In another circumstance I would say that that was indeed a very plausible scenario.

However, Gaven for Mathis is simply a nonsense trade, and anyone who would even consider giving up a very promising young guy who has shown flashes of brilliance, and who incidentally is the best American player on your team, for a washed-up pile of day old dog crap like Jethro Bodine should be fired for stupidity.

Some imaginary trades grow some legs because they - outwardly at least - make some sense. That one never did.

Bottom line on this one and the Szetela thing: I don't think Ives makes this stuff up out of thin air, but he needs to take a closer look at some of his sources before continueing to make himself look like a complete jackass.

As a complete non-professional writing for a pretty obscure website (HPI) fid will confirm that I had the Ken Lolla-to-Louisville story before anyone else anywhere but I took an extra day to make some more calls and make certain I had halfway justifiable facts before I sent him the piece, and frankly it's something that not much of anybody cares about.

This guy Ives is apparently picking up gossip from some ticket guy or janitor and racing into print with a major daily newspaper, for G8d's sake: surely he can work just a wee bit harder to get something right once in awhile. Otherwise it's just irresponsible garbage.