Szetela on the Trading Block

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by jason1551, Dec 13, 2005.

1. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
  2. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  3. The Greatest

The Greatest New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Ohio
    Just saw that and was about to post it. Elliott could be gone, Sigi's looking to trade Danny, who in the world is going to play in the midfield?

4. voyager

voyager Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Frederick, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    You guys want Dema? :D

5. NorwichBu

NorwichBu Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    I'll just take that as a sick joke.

6. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    God knows what schmidt's got against Szetela. A great prospect, adidas' extra cash incentive keeps him happy on the money side so I suppose the obvious thought is get rid!

Makes even less sense in light of the effort that went in to signing him up.

I'd rather cut Hejduk or soemone if we need the cash to splash, which by all accounts we don't.

7. NorwichBu

NorwichBu Member

Jan 9, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    Should this situation be true, I'd be interested to find out if Szetela's concussions had anything to do with this, in light of the whole Ross Paule thing we went through. Or if it is just because the Sigg-meister doesn't think he could help the team. We'll see. How long before some stupid Metroturd comes by and says we should trade Szetela and Buddle for Leitch or some other ridiculous trade?

But someone brought this up earlier: if we lose Elliot AND Szetela, I hope Siggy has some options on his mind to play in the middle. We'll see. Anyone have any new information on how Elliot is doing in London?

8. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1) I know I sound like "Fred, King of the Churlish" around here lately, which is odd because I'm in a freakishly cheerful mood these days, but I feel compelled to point out that Ives Galarcep has exactly zero credibility when it comes to Danny Szetela. They guy wrote a bunch of absolute rubbish (and regardless of what he told fid, a lot of that was adding two plus two and finding that the answer was "a sack of potatoes").

2) Now the law of averages may say that sooner or later our pal Ives will get something right, and maybe this is the time. But "actively shopping" is a phrase very close to "trying to dump" and therein lies the question: I happen to believe that EVERYONE on the team, including Busch, Marshall and Buddle, are available for the right price. And rightly so.

3) Everyone knows that Sigi benched Young Daniel in the U20's Championship, and has been trying to extrapolate something from that. Personally, I think it was simply a case of Sigi having somebody better. Isn't that what coaches are supposed to do: play the better guy?

4) There were some reports from camp, and some rather offhand remarks from Sigi that certainly seemed directed at Daniel that indicated Young Master Szetela thought his MLS resume meant he didn't have to prove anything, work his ass off or earn a spot on the pitch. Not surprisingly "I play in MLS" does not make Sigi fall down and twitch like a hydrocephelitic dog.

5) It would not be at all surprising if Daniel sashayed into U20 camp and exhibited the results of being part of the Crew's somewhat laid back atmosphere. As an impressionable kid, he probably thought halfheartedly joggong through practices killing time before cracking a keg and cranking up the tunes was how EVERYBODY did things.

6) Whatever Danny's shortcomings, I'd like to see what he could do playing for an actual professional soccer coach. Sadly, all we really have to go on is his production while under the direction of Zippy the Pinhead.

7) I can't help adding that if Mrs. Szetela hadn't managed to piss off half the EPL by playing games with professional negotiators as if they were door to door vegetable peddlers, he could very well be with Liverpool right now, on loan to Milwall, in which case idiots would be shrieking that Bruce Arena needed to bring him in NOW!!!!! for the WC.

9. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And anyway, Danny can't be expected to leave Little Suzy Creamcheese behind, can he?

[​IMG]

10. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    I'll trust that if Danny is on the trading block, and Simon is gone -- that Sigi will find a suitable replacement. If there is anything Schmid is pretty good at it's finding talent from across the globe.

11. TheBlackKnight

TheBlackKnight Vote Kodos in '08!!

Jun 29, 2005
    Columbus, Ohio
    Any word if maybe Danny O'Rourke might be looked at, as far as a replacement goes, for Elliott/Szetela?

12. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    How 'bout a Gaven for Szetela/Jordan swap :p

13. Zak

Zak Member

Feb 18, 2002
    Massive Club
    If this picture doesn't make the rivalries section....

Is it a rule that he has to look like a tart every hour or every day?

Drop him for a hard case, that's my vote

14. VfB Feuerwehr

VfB Feuerwehr New Member

Feb 28, 2005
    In the Cube-Forest
    He just got from an audition for a modern take on the 3 muskateers! Awesome picture. Oh, and as Bill points out, Ives credibility is about on par with Chris Bergin. Sure, by law of averages, they uncover some nuggets that are quite interesting, but most times he's a homer in denial blowing the rumormill blades to a fast frenzy.

15. DGA57

DGA57 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Dublin, OH
    And to clarify, the better player actually signed to play in Europe at Hamburg and is doing very well with the reserves at the time. Depending on the first team results and where they are 3-4 months from now, he may see first team action before the end of the season.

16. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes there is.

Which you would know if you ever get the chance to talk to him.
    :D

17. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he was benched for Greg Dalby, not for Feilhaber.

18. The Greatest

The Greatest New Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Ohio
    Be careful. Your boys EJ and Ramon Nunez are known to wear some pretty ridiculous outfits.

19. Scoobs

Scoobs New Member

Aug 18, 2005
    When Sigi was questioned by the Crew press about his opinions of Szetela,
    he stated somewhat defensively that the guy he started instead of
    Szetela ended up 'signing a big contract in Europe'.

20. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OT, I've spoken to the young Mr Szetela and he is a very nice, respectful kid. Plus, I have no idea how much cash I've spent on getting his kit for the "missus" to wear. I wish him the best if he leaves Columbus.

21. 3rd Degree

3rd Degree Member

Feb 6, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh absolutly. No question. You should see them out on the town together.

They are as bad as Danny.

22. Nonesuch

Nonesuch Member

May 16, 1999
    Old Gridania
    On the other hand, Sigi is also demonstrating that he's not going to be bound by any opinion except his own. If he doesn't see any benefit to hanging on to Danny, Danny will not be hung on to. Certainly there are concerns about the concussions, but I think the attitude thing puts Danny on to a loser.

23. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roy Keene

24. Scoobs

Scoobs New Member

Aug 18, 2005