Szetela Joins MLS: DCU Edition

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by cherno, Jul 16, 2004.

1. cherno

cherno New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Charlottesville, VA
    http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20040716&content_id=8445&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

"The Clifton, New Jersey native joins his former U.S. Under-17 teammates Freddy Adu, Eddie Gaven and Guillermo Gonzalez in MLS and will learn the name of his new club when a weighted lottery draft is held next week, details of which will follow later today."

Will DCU enter this lottery? Should DCU enter this lottery?

We have the open roster spot. I don't know what kind of cap space, if any, a team would need to have to add him (can a midseason signee be P-40?).

Cherno

2. Victory

Victory Member

Sep 20, 2000
    RFK LOT 8
    My magic eight ball tells me that the Metro Scum will win the lottery.

3. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    He's what 17? Shouldn't he be playing close to home, even if it is for the Scum?

Sachin

4. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course they will, but I'd love to pick this kid up, and we need a new defender for depth :) I can't imagine he'd garner a huge salary, he wants to come back and play in MLS.

5. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    I believe this kid will get around 200 to 250K. But hey, if his relationship with Nowak is as strong as some of said it is, maybe he wouldn't mind coming here.

6. DutchFootballRulez

Jul 15, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He'll end up in KC, or NE.

Metros have Gaven
    DC has Adu, Convey, Santino
    KC is an outright Boring ass team to watch.

LA has Memo.

Szetela should be likely to see NE, KC, or Colorado.

7. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Szetala Signed

MLS has announced that Danny Szetala has signed with MLS and will be "allocated by lottery" next week. The talk was that he was supposed to go to Metro. So I'm assuming that whoever gets him in the lottery, Metro will have to trade for him? Or will this be a lottery of one?

The announcement did not say if he was P-40 or not. I'm assuming he is. If so, than I'd think that only teams with an open P-40/developmental slot would be eligible for the lottery. Last time I checked, I think we still have space for P-40/developmental players available (Kuffour, Eskandarian, Stokes, Carroll). Metro, like DCU, also has an open roster spot plus an open P-40 slot or two (Bradley, Arena, Gaven, and Seth Stamler). NE has roster slots and room for a P-40. Columbus, Chicago, Colorado, Dallas, KC and LA have full rosters and no P-40 slots. SJ has a roster spot open but I thought they had no P-40 room (could be wrong--this are only rough counts folks!).

Thus, it looks like the lottery would be between DCU, Metro, NE and SJ.

8. IncaEnclave

IncaEnclave Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    i thought that his contract was contingent on him signing with the metros?....i think the metros will trade somebody to the winner of the lottery for the rights if they don't manage to win the lottery themselves

9. cherno

cherno New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Charlottesville, VA
    If we assume for a minute that MLS will keep up its tradition of getting teenaged players to their hometown teams (rightfully so), and assume that they're not going to just fix the "weighted" lottery (a huge assumption I know), what could/should we get from the Scum if we were to win this lottery?

Cherno

10. cherno

cherno New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Charlottesville, VA
    Don't forget NE has Dempsey, so by that logic he should go to KC or Colorado.

Cherno

11. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I started a thread about the same time--so Mods can you please combine threads? Also, KC and Colorado would need to either cut a player or cut a P-40 player in order to create roster space. Only NE (out of the teams you've mentioned) has both roster room and isn't at the full P-40/Developmental compliment. I think the list of teams that could be eligible for the lottery right now (absent cutting players) are: DCU, Metro, NE and SJ.

12. Zman Gunner

Zman Gunner BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 7, 2003
    Middletown, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ricardo Clark (I would start him at d-mid instead of Carroll and he gives cover if/when Stewart or Convey leave) and maybe John Wolyniec (big target forward - able to start or come off the bench) if we can get him as a throw-in since they have 5 forwards and can't figure out which ones to use.

13. Primate

Primate Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    I read somewhere that he said he would only sign with MLS if he was guaranteed to go to Metrostars.

14. DCU

DCU Member

Feb 15, 1999
    Bay Area, CA
    Re: Szetala Signed

Silly United fan, lotteries are for the Scum to win. The Putrid Swamp Trash will win the lottery. If hell freezes over, I mean...if MLS plays by the rules and by some miracle DC wins, BLEED THE SCUM DRY. Szetela for Clark, Glen, Taylor, and next year's 1st round pick.

15. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Was that somewhere here?

16. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Enter the lottery just to get something from the Metrostars. If he has to go there anyway, DC might as well get a return on him if they win the lottery.

17. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    MLS refused the guarentee.

18. cherno

cherno New Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Charlottesville, VA
    So then if a team other than the Scum won the lottery and elected to trade him to NY/NJ it wouldn't be a league mandated trade. That certainly increases what a team could get out of the Metros for him, I would think.

Cherno

19. DeKo21DCU

DeKo21DCU New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    VA
    There was an article about him in Soccer America May 04 issue. I'm surprised by this news as it said in the article that his mother considered MLS' offer but chose EPL instead and he was on trial I believe with Everton.

I just found the magazine...

I wonder what changed her mind?

20. neilgrossman

neilgrossman New Member

May 12, 2000
    Hoboken, NJ
    He wouldn't be the first not to play in his home town, though. Convey is from Philly, so he could not play in his home town.

I don't think Albright was from DC either.

21. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Albright is from PA as well, but he was a dominant striker at UVA before he came to MLS so the situation is a little bit different.

22. suppitty

suppitty Member

Mar 15, 2004
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we by some miracle get szetela then we trade him to the metros for wolyniec, a 1st rounder, and maybe more draft picks. Or we just keep him.

23. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WARNING: no facts are contained below:
    I thought he was a bust overseas and that's why he was coming back. He can only play overseas on a youth team this yea, true, but I thought next year he could make a full team - however, he said that is the reason he is coming back over, due to wanting to be on a "full side"

As much potential as he has, I just don't see him having enough leverage with MLS to "demand" anything, team or salary.

However in the history of the world according to MLS, NJ is most likely to win this "weighted" lottery. I believe the "weighted" part is that they fill the ping pong balls of all the teams besides NJ with sand (aka "the weight") - then turn the machine and see which ball pops to the top :)

24. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would hope that if we won the lottery, and the Metros really wanted him, that we could trade him for Cornell Glenn or Fabien Taylor. Hell, why would we want Wolyniec? He's not an upgrade to either of our top 2 guys. Really though, I would love to see him go to a team like Colorado or Columbus. We don't need to get every guy. Midfield is the position that we need least right now. I actually think that Ara will end up taking the position from Carroll next year at dmid. He just seemed to be a more fluid player, but I understand that others will disagree with that. With two 22 year olds at dmid right now, we just don't need another teenager to back them up. If we won the lottery, i would expect us to make some sort of a deal.

25. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    Not trying to be a troll, but some of you folks have short memories. You all seemed fine with getting Adu for an allocation you probably shouldn't have been awarded in the first place (admit it, Etcheverry wasn't coming back, nor was he wanted back) just a few months ago, but now you think that a player with less hype is worthy of Glen, Taylor, Clark, etc etc?? I hope he comes to the Metros, as we could use him to pair with Clark or to play right mid, but if the asking price is anything higher than a Lisi/Vaca caliber player, then I hope the Metros have the sense to say "no thanks" and let whatever team wins deal with an unhappy teenager. Teenage players are just too unpredictable to give up huge value for (see Quaranta, Santino). Szetela could end up like Gaven, lighting the league on fire and earning Nat caps. He could also end up like Quaranta, knocking some girl up and splitting his time between being injured and being inconsistant.