Switzerland's Road to South Africa 2010 - [R]

Discussion in 'Austria & Switzerland' started by magicgam1, Jun 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    today, the squad for South Africa is announced
    -the keepers are clear as Hitzfeld announced not to take Coltorti. Tough, Sommer has been strong lately and rather might have earned a call then Leoni as nr.3.
    -in defense, Hitzfeld is only choosing 7 players. This means, there is only one right defender with Lichsteiner, but with Behrami there is a backup in right midfield anyway. On the left side, Spycher and Ziegler will play. The center is more open. Grichting is safe. But then? Hope one of the young guns like Affolter or Rossini gets a call. Djourou is lacking match practice. Senderos as well, but at least Senderos could be decisive in a match. Eggimann and Von Bergen have never really convinced, Eggimann is better in the air and Von Bergen maybe on the ground. So, as we playing three latin teams, the second might be rather an option. But prefer really to see Affolter than two of Djourou, Von Bergen or Eggimann
    -in attack, Hitzfeld announce to pick 5 strikers. Frei is the captain and needed at present more than ever and the most influent player. Either you build the team around him or it might be better leaving him out completely. But at present he is very much needed. As Hitzfeld builds the team around him, Streller has very good chances to be in the squad. Then, Derdyiok played a very convincing season. For number 4 and 5, I'm less sure if he will call up NKufo and Bunjaku. If Yakin counts as attacker, number 5 is Yakin. But I would like to see Bunjaku or Nkufo as nr. 4 and Nassim Ben Khalifa as nr. 5.
    -so 7 places left in midfield, Shaqiri, Gelson, Barnetta, Inler, Yakin, Huggel, Padalino? Maybe, Stocker or Chiumiento instead of Padalino and Pirmin Schwegler instead of Huggel. If Yakin counts as striker, then there is place for Padalino and Stocker. How is Dzemaili?

Magnin, Djourou, Vonlanthen, Bunjaku probably have to stay home

and from my personal view I hope to see Affolter or Rossini and Ben Khalifa.
    And it's such a pity Esteban is always injured. In the few minutes he played with Servette he showed that he is a class better than the rest of the team and Servette has been the strongest team in CL in the last 12 matches.

3. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This would have been the coming out party for Esteban. He played great in Servette's run in the spring. Here is who Le Matin thinks will be going:
    KEEPERS:
    1. Diego Benaglio (Wolfsburg)
    2. Marco Wölfli (Young Boys)
    3. Fabio Coltorti (Racing Santander)

DEFENDERS:
    Stéphane Grichting (Auxerre), Steve von Bergen, Mario Eggimann, Philippe Senderos, Reto Ziegler (Sampdoria), Stephan Lichtsteiner (Lazio) and Christoph Spycher.

LES MILIEUX DE TERRAIN
    Xherdan Shaqiri (FC Basel), Tranquillo Barnetta (Leverkusen), Valon Behrami, Marco Padalino, Ghökan Inler, Benjamin Huggel, Gelson Fernandes Xavier Hochstrasser (YB).

Strikers:
    Alexander Frei, Blaise Nkufo, Marco Streller, Eren Derdiyok, and Nassim Ben Khalifa.

Interesting list.

4. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Le Matin forgot Hitzfeld mentionned that Yakin will be part of the squad...
    The list from Blick.ch looks similar. They do not have BenKhalifa (but Yakin) and not Hochstrasser (but Stocker)

Hochstrasser really would be very interesting as well... But I guess this time Hitzfeld might pick the Basel block, yet. However, Hitzfeld also mentionned there will be one surprise. I wonder who that will be? Ben Khalifa, Affolter, Hochstrasser, Sommer ?? Stocker would not be a surprise, Pirmin Schwegler not really, I don't think Abdi or Dzemaili has a chance as they have not made many matches this season.

The good thing is that compared to the WC 1994 for example where Switzerland only had 10 players with a good international level, we now have about 40. So, there are choices. Hitzfeld should take advantage of the bigger choice and pick players who are fit and in very good shape. So, yes Ben Khalifa could be a good choice.

5. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    -for baz.ch only the 23rd spot is open between Stocker, Padalino and Margairaz
    for the tagesanzeiger it's also the 23rd spot which is open between Stocker, -Padalino, Chiumiento and Mister X
    -same for 20min La liste probable des vingt-trois sélectionnés devrait s'articuler ainsi:

Gardiens (3): Benaglio, Wölfli et Leoni.

Défenseurs (7): Lichtsteiner, Senderos, Grichting, Von Bergen, Eggimann, Ziegler et Spycher.

Demis (8): Behrami, Inler, Huggel, Schwegler, Fernandes, Barnetta, Shaqiri, Padalino ou «X».

Attaquants (5): Frei, Nkufo, Streller, Derdiyok et Yakin.

6. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    the probable ones:
    Benaglio, Wölfil, Leoni
    Lichsteiner, Grichting, von Bergen, Eggimann, Senderos, Spycher, Ziegler
    Behrami, Huggel, Inler, Gelson, Barnetta, Padalino, Shaqiri
    Frei, Streller, Derdyiok, Yakin, Nkufo

others mentionned:
    (Sommer, Coltorti)
    (Djourou, Barmettler, Rossini, Smiljanic, Affolter, Degen, Magnin, Nef)
    (Dzemaili, Margairaz, Abdi, Chiumiento, Lustenberger, P.Schwegler, Hochstrasser, Cabanas, Degen, Regazzoni, Stocker, Vonlanthen, Burki, Zambrella)
    (Ben Khalifa, Bunjaku, Costanzo, Gavranovic, Seferovic, Esteban)

Padalino and Eggimann seem to be the unsafe ones

7. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    media conference is on now

8. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    he says he opts for experienced players and players who helped in the qualification

9. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    goalkeepers: Benaglio, Wölfli, Leoni

10. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    defenders: Eggimann, Grichting, Lichtsteiner, Senderos, Spycher (Magnin would replace him if injury doesn't get better), Von Bergen, Ziegler

11. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    now it's getting interesting, midfielders and strikers in alphabetical order:

Barnetta, Behrami, Derdyiok, Gelson Fernandes, Frei, Huggel, Inler, Padalino, Nkufo, Schwegler, Shaqiri, Streller, Yakin

reserves:
    Fabio Coltorti
    François Affolter
    Albert Bunjaku
    Fabian Lustenberger
    Ludovic Magnin
    Nassim Ben Khalifa
    Valentin Stocker

Ph. Degen, D.Degen, Sommer, Djourou, Margairaz also have to be ready

Hochstrasser and Chiumiento not even among the reserves

12. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Intersting list. No real suprises. I thought that either Ben Khalifa or Stockler would make it.

13. supersewelly

supersewelly Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    No real surprises, that's a good squad. .

Is Djourou still injured? I rate him very highly, so it would be surprising if he was left out for any reason other than lack of fitness/match practice.

14. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    Not that happy with the squad, Hitzfeld played it way too safe if you ask me. I would've picked Dzemaili over Gelson. I think Nkufo, Eggimann and Huggel will struggle a lot vs our latin counterparts. Stocker has been in superb form and although Djourou just got back; having both Eggimann and Von Bergen in the squad makes me nervous. Hoping for some changes still.

If I had some picks they would be: Sommer for Leoni, Djourou for Eggimann, Dzemaili for Gelson, Abdi for Huggel, Ben Khalifa/Stocker for Nkufo

Just played his first league came for over a year, had some major injury problems

15. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    well, of course, Hitzfeld is correct with the reason he gave for his selection. He played it safe in the sense he wants a team which fits together, which has played most of the qualifiers and which also has some experience. A lot of teams who are winning the big competitions have an average age of 28-30. In general it's a very realistic selection.

but all the players mentionned above and several others are candidates for the Euro 2012 and I really hope the cards are going to be mixed freshly after the World Cup, but I'm not worried.

With the 40+ players mentionned above and a few others (young) candidates, he will be able to chose among about 60 players for the Euro campaign.

Against Spain, Huggel, Nkufo, Eggimann would have quite a few problems, but we have to beat them with our own weapons anyway ;-)

16. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    btw, Scott Sutter gave his comeback today. Had he definitely decided to play for England? What about the situation with José Gonçalves, Sahin and Kovacevic? If think, Gonçalves and Kovacevic might be eligible yet

for the European Championship there will be about 60 players who could make it... Here is a list of 100 who might be thinkable although for a few of them it's too early and 2 or 3 will retire. Any others?

Benaglio, Wölfil, Leoni, Sommer, Coltorti, Siegrist, Zibung, Vailati, Gonzalez, Fickentscher, Herzog

Lichsteiner, Grichting, von Bergen, Eggimann, Senderos, Spycher, Ziegler,
    Djourou, Barmettler, Rossini, Smiljanic, Affolter, Degen, Magnin, Nef, Ferati, Djuric, R.Feltscher, Gonçalves (?), Liechti, Stahel, A.Rochat, Barmettler, Koch, Kusunga, Berardi, Elmer, B.Rochat, Daprela, Pavlovic, Morganella, Grippo

Behrami, Huggel, Inler, Gelson, Barnetta, Padalino, Shaqiri, Dzemaili, Margairaz, Abdi, Chiumiento, Lustenberger, P.Schwegler, Hochstrasser, Cabanas, Degen, Regazzoni, Stocker, Vonlanthen, Burki, Zambrella, Costanzo, Kasami, Unal, Mehmeti, F.Feltscher, Calla, Salatic, Gashi, Pasche, Regazzoni, Nikci, Buff, F.Frei, Ukoh, Abrashi, Gygax

Frei, Streller, Derdyiok, Yakin, Nkufo, Ben Khalifa, Bunjaku, Costanzo, Gavranovic, Seferovic, Esteban, Mustafi, Prijovic, Abeggeln, Schneuwly, Schönbächler, Roux, Blumer, Ciarocchi, Schürpf, Kovacevic (?), Subotic, Malenovic

18. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Throw Steffan Frei the keeper for Toronto FC. He is in his second year as a pro and despite a terrible defense is playing quite well. I am not sure if he is too buried, but it would be nice to see him called into a training camp at least. It will be interesting to see if Treand can make the jump at Xamax. If so, throw him into the mix, a ways down, but into the mix.

I think this is the round where we see Hochstrasser, Ben Khalifa, and some of the other youth team players making their impact on the full national team.

19. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Tréand is French (from Annemasse). I don't think he has the swiss nationality as well

20. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought that he had acquired it. If not scratch him from the list. ;)

21. PeterBeer

PeterBeer Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Stockholm
    That's an interesting list. I'd throw out Fickentscher, Unal, Kusunga, Morganella, B Rochat, Abrashi, Subotic and Prijovic since they haven't shown consistency in the ASL yet, Malenovic, Liechti, Blumer and Roux since they're already 24-25 and never been above-average in the ASL and Cabanas and Smiljanic since it seems unlikely due to their age.

Steven Zuber should definitely be in this list. I'll throw in Nuzzolo, Wiss, Wüthrich, Michael Lang, D'Angelo, Rodriguez, Steven Lang, De Pierro, Muntwiler, Voser, Winter and Sauthier in there as well

22. depeched

depeched Member

Switzerland
    Jul 31, 2004
    Hitchin/W.Wittering
    I'm in general agreement with you. The squad is rather uninspiring, and to my mind, Huggel and Streller should've been pensioned off long ago (they were hapless/hopeless against Fulham in the Europa Cup)

A cert for me would've been Lustenberger...and my fave Gygax. :cool:

Ah well, best to look forward for EC 2012 and WC 2014 when some of the youngsters from the U-17/19/21's might be 'old' enough to play...but perhaps Huggel, Nkufo, Streller and Frei will still be around to lend 'experience' to the squad :(

Incidentally, I watched the NAC Breda v FC Twente match in full. Blaise looked completely 'kernackered'....but one never knows how he might perform on the world stage in his 'home' continent (shame Kobi Kuhn never picked him for Euro 2008)

23. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Streller and Huggel have the Basel bonus and have been in quite good shape lately, especially Huggel has played his best half season. They both have not been strong enough when they went abroad and took some time to get back to old shape in superleague. Seen Yakin's example, it's not an absolute must having made their way abroad. With the current shape they can bring something. Streller just should not take another penalty...but as he is playing well together with Frei and Yakin Hitzfeld can give it a try

Nkufo hasn't played the very best season in the league, but as you say maybe he is performing well in his home continent. As we're playing three latin teams we have to beat them with our weapons not theirs... We need a perfect organization and perfect standards and the header qualities of Derdiyok, Nkufo or Streller might make the difference in a match. Nkufo probably won't play in the national team any more after the world cup.

Glad we finally have more than 20 valuable players and it should be getting better in the next few years :) Maybe, we can improve like our hockey team on the A level as well ;-)

24. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Christoph Spycher (32) is out of the World Cup. In addition he has played his last match for Switzerland. Spycher was not able to recover from an injury picked up on 10 April. He had previously mentioned that the World Cup would be his last, and he will stick to that plan. He has said that if needed in the future "I will certainly not leave the National Team in a lurch and will be ready to play for a match. Otherwise I will concentrate on YB..."

Ludovic Magnin is called in to replace him.

25. magicgam1

magicgam1 Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Lausanne
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Stocker is out 3 weeks being injured on both feet. So, he can be eliminated from the reserves list