Switzerland: Road to Russia WCQ 2018 [r]

Discussion in 'Austria & Switzerland' started by RobtheAggie, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Scott Gray

Scott Gray New Member

Liverpool FC
    Northern Ireland
    Oct 27, 2017
    I have 3 tickets for D4 for the Switzerland v Northern Ireland match.

Looking to swap for 3 tickets anywhere in B section.

Message me

2. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I could go to that match. Sorry.

3. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Swiss qualify in less than spectacular fashion. A very questionable PK in Belfast and Seferovic had about 6 great chances in the 2nd match, but made a mess of most of them.

Congrats to the team, but I think Embolo needs to get healthy for them to make a run.

4. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    How is Shaq viewed in Switzerland , is he considered a failure because he's at Stoke?

5. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not think a failure, but most Swiss fans want him to avoid injuries and be consistent. When he is on his game, he is almost unstoppable. The problem is that he does not appear to play each game with the same passion. I think most Swiss fans and Stoke expected him to do more, and have shown something that would have invited larger clubs to have come after him. I just want him to play, play well, and lead the Swiss to glory!

The Potter repped this.
  6. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Most Stoke fans realise if he showed more he wouldn't be at Stoke. He is the most talented player Stoke have had in the modern era.

7. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that was his thought process as well. He seems to fit the EPL quite well, but his inability to string a series of good performances together is baffling.

8. depeched

depeched Member

Switzerland
    Jul 31, 2004
    Hitchin/W.Wittering
    I'm still here. Seems it's just RTA and me!

When Swz were drawn against NI our media became excited about the prospect of NI qualifying. Needless to say they've been moaning about 'that penalty' ever since - despite the fact that Swz were by far the better team overall.

Seferovic: If he's the best striker Swz have, then it just shows how good Swz could be with a decent one. Suddenly, Frei und Streller weren't that bad afterall !

I'll be back after the WCQ draw.

9. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    POT 1 POT 2 POT 3 POT 4
    Russia Spain Denmark Serbia
    Germany Peru Iceland Nigeria
    Brazil Switzerland Costa Rica Australia
    Portugal England Sweden Japan
    Argentina Colombia Tunisia Morocco
    Belgium Mexico Egypt Panama
    Poland Uruguay Senegal Korea Republic
    France Croatia Iran Saudi Arabia

Best group for the Swiss
    Poland, Switzerland, Tunisia/Iran/ Saudi Arabia/Morocco
    Worst Group for the Swiss
    Germany, Switzerland, Egypt, Japan

10. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Group E
    Brazil
    Costa Rica
    Serbia
    Switzerland

They should be able to get out this group.

11. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two prep matches.
    3 June vs Spain
    vs Japan in Lugano

12. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    From Sweden here.
    Are you better than 2014 in Brazil?
    I think you have a really interesting team!
    And do you guys think you have replace the Dutch ? My point is, The dutch is not the same Dutch anymore. And not one of the big teams anymore. But new teams come. Like Belgium. I think Poland too, and maybe you guys?
    And i think not fair because everybody says your national team is boring etc
    But i think u are like the new Italy, you always get your results you need.
    And bad luck against Argentina 2014. And bad luck Poland 2016.

13. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hans, greetings. Glad you are here. I think the Swiss team in much more interesting than people give then credit for. The issue is that the forwards have been lacking. Breel Embolo has been injured and no one has really stepped up to replace him. As a result most of the goals have come from midfielders. Shaqiri, when on form, is one of the funnest players to watch. Solid defense and midfield. keepers are very strong. It is the final third where the team lacks a consistent scorer,

14. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018

Hi, thanks for answering!
    First, you think you are better than the dutch now? Like i said, Im tired to read ”no Holland no world cup” etc. i miss Holland too, but not this team or generation because they are not so good anymore. But i rank Swiss very high up. After the powerhouses germany, france, spain, belgium and Portugal. After them i have swiss, poland, croatia, England and italy. Ok back to swiss. Tell me if iam wrong, but the match against Portugal, the last match, i think swiss was really bad. What happened there? But the first match against north ireland i think they was playing good, just like you said, you need a good striker, and that match could ended 3-0. North ireland are not so easy to score against either. Germany won with 3-1 and 2-0 i think. Embolo, is he back to world cup? Is Freuler gonna play? And the defender Dortmund bought from Basel, forgot his name?

15. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
  16. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Embolo should be back, but no idea if the manager calls on him, I hope he does. I would also imagine that Freuler will get the call as well. Akanji should be called in as well, but the key will be him playing at Dortmund. One of the fears is that he will go and sit the bench.

In other news, Switzerland and Panama will play in Luzern on 27 March. This match is in addition to the 23 March match vs Greece in Salonika.

17. HansWorldCup

HansWorldCup Member

Roma
    Sweden
    Jan 10, 2018
    Ok thanks, so hmm sorry i ask again, but are you better now than 2014? I think its time for Swiss to take the next step!

18. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is the schedule for run-up to and the WC

23 March - Greece in Salonika
    27 March - Panama in Luzern
    3 June - Spain in Villarreal
    8 June - Japan in Lugano

17 June - Brazil in Rostav on the Don
    22 June - Serbia in Kalingrad
    27 June - Costa Rica in Nizhny Novgorod

19. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Swiss team is better than 2014. The biggest question is can the Swiss team that in my opinion has the most amount of talent at its disposal in the modern era put it together. If they do, I really think that they can co quite far.

20. depeched

depeched Member

Switzerland
    Jul 31, 2004
    Hitchin/W.Wittering
    HansWorldCup: The best team the Swiss had was in the 80s when Heinz Hermann played for them. Shame said team never qualified though (the Swiss had 'dodgy' GK's at the time) More recently the GK's have improved noticebly.....but as ever, their 'strikers' are always capable of 'blazing over the bar/missing headers/chances from close range' As a supporter of Switzerland for c40yrs I've seen it all......many times. :-(

RobTA: Nice to see Alex Frei in FIFA's promo WC vid. Frei und Streller weren't that bad afterall? :)

21. depeched

depeched Member

Switzerland
    Jul 31, 2004
    Hitchin/W.Wittering
    If the odds are 'long' enough I might have a bet on them beating Brazil. Not so sure about the rest of the group matches though.

NB: I bet on Swz to beat Spain at 9-1 in WC 2010. Grichting was excellent in defence. Shame it went wrong vs Honduras. Ah well.

22. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At least the scored on a consistent basis. Most complained that they did not do more.

23. depeched

depeched Member

Switzerland
    Jul 31, 2004
    Hitchin/W.Wittering
    KWYM. But let's face it; Most Swz goals are now scored by defenders (at set pieces) or midfielders. Still; a goal is a goal. The swiss are essentially 4-6-0.....They might play a 'token' striker - who usually manages to miss an easy chance or two. If they had a decent striker, they'd be lethal.

As ever, Keep the Faith.

24. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So true, and that is the feeling of most Swiss fans.

Dzemaili with a goal in the 0-1 win over Greece.

25. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Swiss will play England on 11 Sept.

IASocFan repped this.
  26. MorgartenNY

MorgartenNY New Member

Nov 10, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Nice to see that Josip Drmic is getting some minutes at Gladbach and scoring goals. Would love seeing Drmic start at forward because I think he is the best natural finisher of the bunch. Embolo comes off the bench and provides high energy in the last 15 minutes. Seferovic should not be on the squad. He has literally not played at all with Benfica in the last several months.

depeched repped this.