Swiss Optimism

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by SebastianK, Sep 10, 2003.

1. SebastianK

SebastianK Member

Apr 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well mates, looks like we're in a tight spot for Basel next month doesn't it?.

Well no worries. Look at all the evidence going into this game:

1. Keane will be back - He'll score one or two.

2. Switzerland's luck have just about run out - Yes they were off to a ferocious start, however, one could call them stumbly their past few matches. Besides, if we were asked shortly after the World Cup last year, who would win, Ireland or Switzerland? we'd all run in and say "Ireland easy". Besides, the last match again the Swiss was the final game under the McCarthy era, from what according to Stephen Staunton said, in the end, no one paid him any attention, and the team huddled around the veterans, so we were virtually playing coach-less.

3. Russia is inconsistent - the Russians tend to be quite streaky. Their WC qualifiers were brilliant, but their WC performance was to football what Jessica Simpson is to intelligence. They beat a us, again with that dickhead McCarthy in charge, but that's irrelevant. They went to crap soon afterwards, and now seem to be thunderous again. At least they are no longer our problem.

So no worries mates, I predict a victory!

2. Plastic Paddy

Plastic Paddy New Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Hammersmith, London
    I love your optimism, Sebastian. I think things may be a little easier if Hakan Yakin is still injured come the time of the match, as (when not throwing his toys out of the pram) he's adept at the creative pass and we all know how the boys can struggle dealing with the ball behind the defence (see both Turkey's goals from Tuesday...)

However, one small question. Who the hell is Jessica Simpson?

:D PP

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    FYI hakin yakin played 30 minutes in a basel friendly tuesday so i would fully expect him to be fit for 11 october - in addition, cantaluppi should be back and IIRC haas should be off suspension - so it should be barnburner, i hope to be there

4. finlma

finlma New Member

Sep 8, 2003
    I suppose we have to be optimistic about this one. We definately have the beating of the Swiss and Basle is no baptism of fire. If we have everyone available we'll beat them. Saying that I fancy the Russians to get at least a point against Georgia so it would be play-off hell again for us. It would be great to get drawn against Scotland. It would be terrible to get drawn against Holland, Spain, England/Turkey.

5. shay

shay New Member

May 13, 2003
    london
    lets hope we have a full squad to pick from....anything can happen to any of the players in the coming month. some positions we are well covered i.e full back. (carr,finnan,kelly,kenna)
    i suppose central defence we are covered but they are all as dodgy as each other so it doesn't really who plays. on the left its either harte or o'shea.
    believe it or not i would restore harte to the left and put O' Shea in central defence.. I think we need him there.

midfield we can choose from holland,kinsella,healy,carsley or mcphail.
    duff or kilbane on the left wing and robbie/connolly would be my first choice up front. although the swiss looked vunerable to high balls into the box, but when did high balls into the box ever create goals for ireland.

probably kerr will start with the following team

Given

Carr,
    Breen, Cunningham,
    O'Shea,

Duff,
    Healy,
    Holland,
    Kilbane,

Doherty,
    Keane.

my choice would be :

Given,

Carr,
    Cunningham,
    O'Shea,
    Harte,

Healy,
    Kinsella,
    Holland,
    Duff,

Connolly,
    Keane.

6. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I sure hope the Irish players think the same way, attributing our success to luck. ;)

PS: It seems like some of you saw the RUS-SUI game, was it shown in Ireland?

7. e_k1

e_k1 New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Germany
    Cunningham is suspended for this game isn't he?

Anyway I'd go with -

Given
    Carr
    Dunne
    Breen
    O'Shea
    Reid
    Healy
    Holland
    Keane
    Morrison
    Duff

In a game where we need to win I reckon both Duff and Reid have to start. Morrison did nothing wrong against Russia IMO given the service he got. Healy seemed to improve against Turkey. Harte is just too risky as he seems to get found out defensively too often now.

8. Jonah

Jonah New Member

"Given
    Carr
    Dunne
    Breen
    O'Shea
    Reid
    Healy
    Holland
    Keane
    Morrison
    Duff"

Can't believe that Kerr will play Steven Reid
    In the right midfield position considering his poor
    performances in the past 2 games. I think Finnan, Carr or Duff would be better suited in such an important game. I'm a big fan of Reidy but he need to "up" his form conciderably. I would even prefer
    a returning Jason McAteer over Reid for this Game.
    McAteer is an experienced big match player and a capable of sneaking an all important goal, like he did
    against holland.

The same applies to Healy as it do to Reid but we are much shorter of options in the centre of midfield.

Jonah

9. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    Yep, RTE (our national broadcaster) screened it live. Funny thing was, they couldn't show our friendly against Turkey the day before!

I'd go for:

Given
    Carr
    Breen
    Dunne
    O'Shea
    Duff
    Kinsella/Healy
    Holland
    Kilbane
    Keane
    Morrison

O'Brien has never fully convinced during his (very limited) opportunities at this level, and while I'd like to see him given more of a try, this isn't the time. Reid hasn't pushed himself forward for the right hand berth in the last couple of games, so I'd play Duff there with Kilbane on the left. An alternative could be Finnan on the right with Duff on the left, but I'd start with that pair. Doherty to come off the bench if needed.

10. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Alot will depend on how the lads play for their clubs over the next four weeks. Unless Morrison can force his way into the Birmingham team, I can't see him starting. Hopefully Healy will become a starter for Sunderland, and Dunne will get a few matches for Man City.

11. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    I think you're all being a bit too optimistic about Dunne, he scored on tuesday yet he also cost us the offside goal that should have been allowed.

Given
    Finnan
    Carr
    O'Shea
    Breen
    Duff
    Reid
    Healy
    Holland
    Keane
    Morrison

Reid can hopefully recover his form with Blackburn and all Healy needs is his sharpness which he'll hopefully have by then. Connolly and Keane wont work, very similar and playing two wingers and looking at the Russia Swiss match, getting the ball wide and into the box is how we should go about scoring goals and Morrisons our best option for that I think. He and Keane is our best front two anyway.

12. closey

closey New Member

Jul 26, 2002
    UK
    Guys,

I was at the Russia match and we all know that we rarely play well when we are expected to break down the opposition. All our great wins have been against teams when they were the favourites. The pressure is on the Swiss as much if not a little more when we play them. We wont be facing two Russian banks of four defensive players in Basle. Probably will be the opposite!

I dont want to see anymore decisions from Kerr like the Carsley one again. 1 competitive match all season and played out of position! For me its Kilbane and Duff on the wings. Harte cant play because this time the opposition will attack.
    Centre midfield is the problem as I am concerned about Healy's/Holland's ability to play a creative accurate pass. I dont question their ability to win the ball and pass it 5 yards.

Closey

13. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Reid starts a (3?) game ban tomorrow. He'll only have one or two matches with Blackburn to prove his form.

14. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    I think your wrong about Healy, if anything he tries to go for a spectacular pass too much.

Did you not see his 50 yarder for Duffs wrongfully disallowed goal against Turkey? Nobody else in our mid field would have the ability to do that. The talents there he just needs the sharpness.