Sweet Jesus! The rep system being abused? Who would have thought

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Oscar, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    LINK

I knew something was wrong when I was being bad repped by people I didn't even know....usually there's a good reason and I'll remember their names. :D

Seriously though, what use is a rep system when things like this happen?

Still, if it wasn't for the rep system, I never would have read the comedy that is:

So it's not all bad.

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe there was a thread on the rep system about 2 down from this one.

Why not reply to one in existence instead of starting the 156,532nd one?

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez

Hahahaa look at these guys scheming, so pathetic...

4. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    ¿Because I thought there should be thread with 'Sweet Jesus' in the header?
    There can never be enough of those :)

But you're right, I should slightly change the reason for this thread to differentiate it from that other one. Instead of changing the rep system, why not remove it alltogether because it serves no purpose at all? That will do I guess.

It doesn't help in pointing out the good posters from the not so gifted, because anybody can fill it up to the max by just posting in one of those "rep me, and I'll rep you, we'll both be sad people" threads. And really, can't you just read the message a poster writes to decide if he's one of the better ones or not?

It doesn't help in pointing out the trolls, because even though they might get a red square in a matter of days, they can get it back to green in a matter of minutes by just posting in one of those threads.

I think it has been brought up in one of those 156,531 threads you speak of, that the rep system does help in one of the forums on this board. Because you can see if the person that is giving you advice is legit or not, but then it's already mentioned above how one could easily get many points and just give bad advice in that particular forum. Plus it would be one (two?) forums, out of the what, 30 on this site, where the rep system serves no purpose at all (especially since it is being abused.....and tortured) And if it isn't a newly created forum, the advice giving wasn't hampered in all the years when there wasn't a rep system.

There really is no reason to keep the rep system, other than the squares looking nifty.
    And they do look nifty, even the red ones. :D

5. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The one thing the rep system does do is give me much entertainment reading all the 156,531 threads on this forum that are opened to point out the flaws in it.

6. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    A good reason as any to start the 156,532nd one

7. Sinko

Sinko New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    xalapa ver mx
    Club:
    Harrisburg City Isl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Suhweeeet Jesus!

Repped you Oscar.

NEO DA ONE accusing somebody of being a 'plastic fan'? Wow, that's very deep and hard hitting. I'm sure he/she speaks fluent Catalan, as opposed to having a vocabulary that is limited to no more than 'visca'. :rolleyes:

8. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Actually, it's gotten fairly easy to tell now who has reputable rep. See who has 400 - 800 - 1200 posts. If they've got 3 - 4 -5 rep squares, they haven't joined one of the rep clubs (because those are the people with 8 - 10 -12 rep squares) and yet they've obviously been repped for thoughtful considerate posts. I haven't figured out what to make of guys with 5000 - 10,0000 - 15,000 or more posts. Except that I want their jobs.:)

9. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    I honestly clicked this link because I wanted to see what kind of jackass actually cared enough to be a baby and rat on people that are abusing the reputation system.

However, when I saw your second post and it started with this line in response to creating an umteenth new thread on the tired subject, I came to the conclusion that you couldn't be that bad of a guy afterall.

10. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, that's true and maybe even worth good rep.

11. M@ngo redded

M@ngo redded Red Card

Mar 9, 2005
    United States
    Excuse me but I was just wondering is this https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=103088&page=1&pp=15
    allowed? :confused:

Why is someone who seems to be a moderator running a whore house? lol ;) is this allowed? If so I would like to join it too , Personally I think it's cheating but hey if it's allowed I ain't complaining :D just don't want to be doing anything illegal per se :)

12. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i thought this thread was going to be about landon donovan or freddy adu

i'm extremely disappointed

13. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Suhweeeet Jesus!

Is that anything like a Plastic Man? Is there a song about this plastic fan?

14. Oscar

Oscar Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Holland
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Re: Suhweeeet Jesus!

No, but there will be a movie
    [​IMG]
    ¿Is Hollywood ready for what will no doubt be the masterpiece of the century?
    One can only hope

15. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Has this always been the case at BS?