Swedish team is a joke

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by SectionX, Sep 14, 2007.

1. SectionX

SectionX Member

May 27, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Sweden played another horrible game vs USA today, after now I am reading the swedish newspaper after the match, and it seems the swedish players and coach are "happy"

What are they happy over? We weren't close defeating USA. We have to win over North Korea with 3-0, lol. What a joke, wont happen.

Just pack your bags and go home. Sweden almost always advance from groupstage but this team is not as good as past teams.

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think they are a joke. They start notoriously slowly. (is it really true that they've never won the first game of group play in all of the WWCs?) Injuries have really hurt them in key areas. They are in transition player-wise in a few key areas. They got screwed as much as the USA with the draw. They would advance were they in any other group. But yes, winning 3-0 vs Nk will be, umm, a challenge.

Is this WWC also Olympic qualifying as it was last time? That's the worry from my pov. That they won't make the Olympics and this up and coming, young batch will not be able to show themselves at the Olys where they'll have more experience.

3. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    three of four euros advance to the olympics...

england does NOT count since the olympics it's GREAT BRITIAN and NORTHER IRELAND under the flag...

norway and germany are 2...

sweden and denmark compete for the last slot, and with denmark playing new zealand i think they have th edge which means sweden misses beijing next september

4. Nillan

Nillan New Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Lund Sweden
    Club:
    LdB FC Malmö
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    I think kool-aide´s point of veiw is right on target. Yes it is the same as
    last time for the olympics, wich we also is very close to miss out on.
    It is true Sweden has never won a opening game at WC.
    Remeber that even if Sweden is out this time they are still a top 10 team and
    are not a joke, even if we diden´t succed this time.
    Noone lookt at Norway as a joke 2003, why should we stop puting down the
    team.
    Abby told the tv4 that they have very few teams the really respect, Sweden is
    one of them, fear play and no actors, could we get any better grades.

Nice game Usa you deserve the win ,GL in the future of the WC.

5. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    I feel bad for Sweden, because they played so well and were so close last time, but this cup's team is just a shadow of it. So, it is a big disappointment, though not completely unexpected, considering their injury issues coming into the tournament. Why is their old coach now with China?

6. reverb

reverb New Member

Aug 11, 2007
    She was basically pushed out by the Swedish soccer federation. I can't recall if she was directly fired.

I think the title of the this thread is a bit silly. Sweden is a great team with a lot of oustanding talent, it's just too bad that their team has been organized in such a way that now that talent is trapped with a lot of inexperience.

I think Marika is arguably the better coach and made wiser decisions. The 2004 Olympic results were poorer than expected, mostly because of the after-effects of the team doing so well in 2003 WC. Marika stated that the team had never been under so much pressure, and I that's a lot of why Sweden began to slip. Half of soccer is played in the head, like most games. It's much easier to play when no one expects you to win.

Marika's results in the Euros were not as excellent as everyone hoped, but they were better than what Dennerby has now, and that's for a reason.

Dennerby made way too many changes too fast. I don't agree with all of his player selections, and when I saw the final roster, I thought it was a very bad sign of what was to come. :(

And of course, losing Jonsson was a pretty bad blow, but Lundgren would have probably done much better than Lindahl.

7. Bookthekeeper

Bookthekeeper Member

Jul 15, 2007
    DFW
    I wanna start by saying the draw was just stupid and Sweden unfortunately is stuck between a rock and a really hard place going into the final group game because of it. Sweden is a very good team with a rich history of womens soccer and every bit deserving of their rank 3 in the world. Now Id like to say that every one seems so gung ho on how good NK is for performing well agaisnt the US. I still stand by what ive said from the beginning. NK just came out as hard as they could against the US that played like shit for [insert reason here]. After all, they are the team to beat and NK wanted to be that team to do it. Dont get me wrong, NK is a very good team but So is Sweden. I think people are giving NK too much credit. They didnt exactly put a huge ass whoopin on Nigeria like expected as the match stats show. Will Sweden have a tough game with NK? Yes. Can Sweden win? Certainly. Do NOT count Sweden out. GD will be tough to overcome but I certainly believe they can beat NK.

8. Leenstra11

Leenstra11 Member

Sep 24, 2005
    Sweden is not a joke but they, like their league, are very overrated.
    Lots of media coverage, marketing...and they believe they are better than they really are. They had tough time against average Nigeria, looked confused for 70 minutes against USA. High expectations brought on by media coverage. But not too many players capable of delivering the goods.

9. Leenstra11

Leenstra11 Member

Sep 24, 2005
    Sweden WILL NOT beat NK.

10. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sweden is the country that should really be complaining about being stuck in the "Group of Death." They'd probably be fine in any of the other groups.

11. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    There always seems to be a group of death somewhere and with 3 top teams in group B, someone is going to get the short end of the stick. That being said, things are not what they used to be. I'm not sure that Sweden would be fine in any other group - better off for sure, but not 'fine'.

12. Nillan

Nillan New Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Lund Sweden
    Club:
    LdB FC Malmö
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Calling Swedish team a joke is uncalled for.

It is what it is, nothing to do about now, but the thing i am worrid about
    is not playing the olympics 2008, all countrys need big tournaments and
    especially Sweden now with transisions and all.
    In the game vs Usa there was 4 players from 2003
    Ljungberg, Svensson, Östberg, Marklund, so yes Sweden needs to step
    up and make some changes for the future. Sweden have one more chans
    and it is a tough one, to beat NK with 3 goals or more ,thats almost a
    impossible task.
    Not a singel fotball excpert over here belive they can do it, but if they do
    talk about a miracle in Tijanjin.
    I know the players are mentaly strong and they are gonna go for it, but it
    also comes down to that i think NK is the better team, so then we need
    luck lots of it, and so far this year we have had non.

Ofcourse things are not the way they use to be, thats have to do with
    injurys and players retired and a transision period, but i really think that
    any other group would have been easier, and that means atleast a
    quarterfinal.
    I still want to know why NK was placed in group B

13. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    I'm with you Nillan - up to a point. Group B was the worst group to be in. I just don't think Sweden would have necessarily qualified out of any of the other groups. In Group A, England just tied Germany and Japan, so Sweden would have had their hands full in that group. In Group C, Australia just tied Norway and Canada was unlucky to have a good goal called back in a close 2-1 loss to Norway, so that group was no gimme either. Group D might have been Sweden's best chance to get through to the 1/4's. Brazil is hot, but I think China and Denmark are struggling.

Also Sweden's tie with Nigeria did little to convince me that Sweden s/b one of the 1/4 finalists. Isn't Ghana supposed to be a close match to Nigeria - only losing 1-0 in the African qualifications? Compare Sweden's tie to Nigeria with what Australia and Canada did to Ghana at this WWC and it looks like Sweden is not at the level it needed to be. I wonder if Sweden hasn't been in a decline for a while now - they lost 4-2 to Canada when the teams played last summer.

14. Nillan

Nillan New Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Lund Sweden
    Club:
    LdB FC Malmö
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Sure Sweden is in a tough period right now, but losing to Canada
    4-2 , could happend to anyone.

Usa= North Americas best team
    NKorea= Asian best team
    Nigeria= Africas best team, even if ghana won 1 game

I know it sounds strange and i am not trying to make Sweden better then they are, but on the other hand, swedens tie against Nigeria is their own fault not to score on the chances and falling asleep for the last 20min, bad play imo.
    Usa well good 30 min, the rest not so good.
    Decline , well yes if you count injurys and transision, but not because the lost to Canada.
    I watch the game Can-Ghana and i really think that ghana gave Canada some
    problems in the first half, could have scored 1-1 or more, thats the wc and the countrys are getting closer and closer.
    Nigeria did a great game against NK, and they are way better now then 2003.
    And comparing one teams game to another is not really a accurat way of
    telling how good they are.
    Btw i was really impressed by Australia, fun team to watch ,really gave Norway a scare and so did Canada.

We will never know if another group would have made it eaiser for Sweden, but i can tell you something and that is that the group B would have made it really difficult for alot of teams including Canada, Norway, Australia, England and Germany, Nkorea is the real deal and a very good team, one of the best.

Anyway no use to discuss it, it is what it is :)
    Hopefully Sweden gets trough the transison and be back for the olympics
    2008, or WC 2011 :)

15. Bookthekeeper

Bookthekeeper Member

Jul 15, 2007
    DFW
    How do we know NK is good? Most of us have only seen them play 2 games since last WC. Dont get me wrong as Im sure theres very good reason FIFA puts them at 5 but I dont put them better than US, Germany, or an A game Sweden. You can look on FIFA and see all the games Sweden played in the last year. They are truly deserving of their rank 3 in the world. Yeah they are having a rough cup but they are still a good team. I still think NKs performance is more about a lesser team trying to dethrone a big dog.

16. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Sweden doesn't make it past DPRK into the QF then there will be no Oly'08 for them.

17. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    Nillan. All good points. I also think NK is for real - good luck :)

18. reverb

reverb New Member

Aug 11, 2007
    Why does FIFA have this rule that teams are penalized for losing previous tourneys?? This is so stupid. We have so little intern'l women's matches as it is.

19. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All teams are penalised for failure in a previous tournament. For the WWC that prior tourney is called the Qualifier.

The problem that arises with the Oly/WWC schedule is the lack of time for an additional qualifying tournament between the end of the WWC and the Olympics. The men use the U23 team (plus a couple overage) so it does not impact the full Nats. The women oly team is full Nats.

In 2004 the defending women's Olympic champion was not there due to a poor showing in 2003.

20. goalieanna

goalieanna New Member

Jul 30, 2006
    California
    With the inclusion of a Great Britain team for future Olympics, I think they would have to use some other means of determining qualification.

As for the Swedes, I really hope they can pull off a victory tomorrow. I've enjoyed watching them over the years, and would miss seeing them in Olympics.

21. Bookthekeeper

Bookthekeeper Member

Jul 15, 2007
    DFW

I hate to say I told you so:p

22. Nillan

Nillan New Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Lund Sweden
    Club:
    LdB FC Malmö
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Even though i am sad about the hole thing , i am so glad they beat NK, and showed that they are still a good team, they have them self to blame for the bad game against Nigeria, think that one will teach them a painful but importent
    lesson, don´t quit before 90 minut mark.
    Now i hope the final is between Usa and Norway :)

23. Nillan

Nillan New Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Lund Sweden
    Club:
    LdB FC Malmö
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Not true, if Denmark lose to Brazil, they are out just like Sweden, then Swe and
    Den have to play for the spot, so the chance is still there.
    England can´t qualify for the olympics thats why, because the are competing
    in the olympics under Great Britain, and not England.

24. reverb

reverb New Member

Aug 11, 2007
    How, where and when would this happen?

25. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution