Swedish defender to Whitecaps?

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by JonasV, Dec 2, 2011.

1. JonasV

JonasV Member

Apr 23, 2007
    Virginia
    According to Swedish tabloid Aftobbladet, Swedish defender Anton Hysén has been in Vancouver this week and has been offered a contract. He has not yet made up his mind and says that there is another MLS club interested as well (Sporting Kansas City according to the paper)
    He is the younger brother of Swedish international Tobias Hysén and ex-Liverpool, PSV Eindhoven and Fiorentina player Glenn Hysén.
    http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/article14018114.ab
    Anton Hysén has lived a quiet life in the lower Swedish leagues the shadow of his brother and father until this spring when he came out of the closet and ended up being interviewed by BBC, The Guardian and The Sun.

2. JonasV

JonasV Member

Apr 23, 2007
    Virginia
    Here is my translation of the interview:
    From Swedish Division 2 - to Major League Soccer?

Sportbladet can reveal that Anton Hysén, 20, is in negotiations with two clubs in the American professional league.

- It looks damn good. I'm really interested, says Hysén.

Anton Hysén faces a big choice. A few days ago he came home from Nroth America and with an exciting offer: a contract proposal from Major League Soccer club Vancouver Whitecaps.

"Was a good talk"
    - I talked with them and I can say it looks good. They are interested. It was a good talk and they have said how they want it, says Anton Hysén who won Division 2 with his club Utsikten BK.

According Sportbladets sources Hysén has also talked with Sporting Kansas City, another club in the Major Soccer League.

- I will not say who the other team is. What I can say is that it looks good and I'm damn happy.

Last spring was Anton Hysén headlines around the world as he came out as gay in an article in Football magazine Offside. But that's not this newfound fame that has made north America opened their eyes to a Swedish Division 2 player.

- No, no, it has nothing to do with it. It is my agent who knows the old coach (Teitur Thordarsson) in Vancouver. I've been also been interested in something like this and that is why things are happening

Glenn Hysén unaware
    Right now, Anton Hysén on to consider how he should do. The proposal is attractive, the decision still not entirely clear.

- There is a big step. I may want to develop in Sweden first before taking on a big mission. But I'm really interested in this.

What about the financial part of things?

- It also looks great what they have offered me. But of course this is an interesting aspect too.

What does Dad (Glenn, coach of Utsikten BK)?

- No one knows about anything. He does not know either, ha ha. But I know he will be happy when he hears about this!