Sverige : Norge [R]

Discussion in 'Scandinavia' started by urtel, May 29, 2005.

1. urtel

urtel Member

Jul 16, 2003
    PDX
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    Råsunda, Solna
    Ondag 8 juni 2005, kl 20.15 (Wednesday, 8 June 2005)

This is a match that I'd love to see, but unfortunately I live here in the United States and don't hear about these types of things. A question for our resident Swedes and Noggies: what are your feelings about the match? I know the fall-apart of the Kalmar Union really doesn't play much in politics anymore, but I know when Sweden plays Finland, all is on the line!

2. Dandal

Dandal Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Sweden
    Club:
    --other--
    Not really. In ice hockey - oh, yes. And there is an annual meeting between the finnish and swedish track and field national teams that draws big crowds and great interest. But football - no, there has to be an element of competition first. ;)

Traditionally Denmark is the great adversary in football. Norway is still mostly cross country skiing. But of course it will still be embarassing if we lose the upcoming friendly.

History lesson, btw. Norwegian independance from Sweden celebrates 100 years this year. Rather big event in Norway.

3. LarsSon

LarsSon New Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Sweden
    There is not much rivarly between Norway- Sweden, this game will be good practise for younger players mixed with a couple of experienced players.

4. Bruiser

Bruiser New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Sykkylven, Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Cross-country skiing my arse! lol.

Anyway, the game won't be interesting to me unless both teams play with their biggest stars.

5. LarsSon

LarsSon New Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Sweden
    Which is impossible. Sweden won't play any of their stars against norway. I wouldn't be surprised if Norway win this game.

6. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    To me Sweden, Finland, Iceland, and Denmark aren't really rivals. We are all Nordic peoples so there isn't as much of a "rivalry" as there are for other countries and their neighbors (USA-Mexico, Brazil-Argentina, Germany-France, etc). I can't speak for everyone else, but I like to root for all of the Scandinavian nations when they aren't playing each other, so it's not some big showdown like someone who doesn't know much about Scandinavia might expect. For example I was absolutely thrilled when Sweden and Denmark tied 2-2 so that BOTH would advance in Euro 2004, etc.

I obviously hope Norway wins, but I won't be too disappointed if we lose to Sweden. Now the match vs Italy on the other hand.... :mad:

7. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The only star that is not included in the squad is Zlatan.
    I think there is a possibility that Larsson will join them.

8. urtel

urtel Member

Jul 16, 2003
    PDX
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    I'm the same way, though I show more favor to Norway and Finland.

9. urtel

urtel Member

Jul 16, 2003
    PDX
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    I'm also looking for the current Norwegian home jersey. I see it here at the store, but I'm looking for the long sleeve version. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

10. princess2000

princess2000 New Member

Apr 12, 2005
    sthlm, sweden

I doubt it. I think we'll have to wait until the Bulgaria-match this fall until we see Larsson in the swedish shirt again.

I think coach Lagerbäck sees this match as a great opportunity to let young players get a taste of the National Team. that is a good thing, they might actually take it seriously and try and impress. so maybe this will be a good game.

11. princess2000

princess2000 New Member

Apr 12, 2005
    sthlm, sweden
    I too have feelings for all Scandinavian Countries, i'd rank them like this in my heart:
    Sweden
    Iceland (just because they're fighters and Gudjohnsen is a terrific player)
    Norway
    Finland
    Denmark

Sorry Denmark, but there's something about your attitude, being convinced you are the best National Team in Scandinavia. it bugs me, you're not that superior... besides, Thomasson was really arrogant in that 2-2-match last summer, and Gravesen just scares the h-l out of me...
    ;)

12. ExpatSwede

ExpatSwede Member

IF Elfsborg
    Sweden
    Jun 6, 2005
    California
    Final Result:
    Sweden loses 2-3 to Norway, after a norwegian spurt of 3 goals within 5 minutes in the 2nd half.

13. Jombajomba

Jombajomba New Member

May 23, 2002
    naaaa. Losing to noorway, even with our b-team is embarrassing :)
    Still, some rather nice football was played in the first half and there were a couple of positives, Daniel Andersson, Källström and also suprisingly Elmander, took their chances.

Our defence still looks very shaky whenever put under pressure. Norway only threatened for 5 minutes during the whole game and then they scored 3 goals :/

Another positive is that Nilsson was crap...again. Dump him now pls.

14. Bruiser

Bruiser New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Sykkylven, Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    We were crap in the first half. But we won. Hooray!

Here are the goals btw, http://www.aftonbladet.se/atv/player.html?catID=26&clipID=1145

The most devestating thing in the world is to lose to Sweden in sports. Then we know we've hit rock bottom.

Luckily it doesn't happen very often ;)

15. LarsSon

LarsSon New Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Sweden
    this was the first time in 50 years norway beat us at home. :) Congrats!!

16. mellon

mellon New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Liverpool
    For some I guess, strangely enough I though it would be worst to lose against Lichtenstein etc?, well maybe you guys are very humble and realistic in what you can achieve;).

By the way it seems that the Royal league numbers are up again, 15.000 in attendance that is very bad indeed!

Well at least nobody seemed to be playing well in Sweden, how about the Norwegians? Oh, nice goal by Riise, pure class!;)

17. Bruiser

Bruiser New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Sykkylven, Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    No, see, we don't want to lose against anyone in anything, anywhere. And when we lose we feel sad. But when we lose to Sweden, it hurts extra much since we're then not better than Sweden in everything anymore ;)

Yeah, wasn't it? It bounced, hit the woodwork and went in by the keeper. Stunning goal.

18. ExpatSwede

ExpatSwede Member

IF Elfsborg
    Sweden
    Jun 6, 2005
    California
    "Stunning"? Not the adjective I would have chosen... But it certainly was the luckiest goal I have seen in a long time. Stunningly lucky, I suppose. :cool:

19. SectionX

SectionX Member

May 27, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    gee man, we missed our best players, larsson, zlatan, ljungberg, wilhelmsson, mellberg, isaksson, linderoth and lukic (went out during halftime when we were up 1-0)

cograts of winning a friendly with our b-team.

20. Snokus

Snokus New Member

Dec 6, 2004
    Never classify Linderoth as one of hour important players again. He sucks bigtime.

Norway had their b-squad aswell. Sweden dominated the first half but only scored 1 goal. Norway played better in the second half and scored 3.

21. mellon

mellon New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    Liverpool
    True but if we are going to go into numbers, Sweden started with two players who started the last w/c qualifiers, Norway started with four;)

22. Bruiser

Bruiser New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Sykkylven, Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Please tell me you're kidding.

23. Jombajomba

Jombajomba New Member

May 23, 2002
    Well, to be fair we dominated for the whole game, even when being average in the second half Norway were never in command at any point. They scored 3 ridicelous goals due to the defence and Gustafsson screwing up bigtime.

And you're quite rigth, Daniel Andersson was a major improvement over Linderoth. Daniel also made a difference in the friendly against France a couple of months ago, IMO.

24. ExpatSwede

ExpatSwede Member

IF Elfsborg
    Sweden
    Jun 6, 2005
    California
    Yes, but their two biggest stars were there as well - Riise (definately great), and Carew (lots of hype, few/no goals).

But seriously, I can certainly allow Norway to enjoy this victory, since it means so much to them. (I suppose it helps that I am 50% norwegian) ;)

Lets hope both ourr countries qualify to Germany, so we can meet "for real". :D

25. Jombajomba

Jombajomba New Member

May 23, 2002
    Yes, I would love to face Norway in an important game :)