Sven Goran Who????

Discussion in 'England' started by pittsy1, Aug 23, 2006.

1. pittsy1

pittsy1 New Member

Jun 28, 2006
    England, Salford
    We all know now what a crap manager Sven is, but why appoint him? because he won the league with Lazio? or because FIFA couldn't find someone better. Steve Mclaren will win things for England hopefully and if he doesn't do it in the time Sven was in charge then England will be screwed for ever. Why put a swedish person in charge of an English team :confused: God help the next people who help the next people they help put a new manager in charge of a national side.:eek:

2. West 'am 'till I die

West 'am 'till I die BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 28, 2006
    London

I agree to a certain extent BUT Sven was appointed because there was no good English/British alternative..... And what has McClaren done to deserve the opportunity? NOTHING but who were the alternatives? Charlton boss or Bolton boss WOW!!!

3. Chewmylegoff

Chewmylegoff Member

Jan 26, 2004
    London
    i agree, but the time to express this opinion was 5 years ago. have you been in a coma?

4. pittsy1

pittsy1 New Member

Jun 28, 2006
    England, Salford
    But we didnt know what Sven could do properly then. People trusted the FA or whoever appointed him to bring sucess to the English team but we certainly didnt think Sven could turn England into a laughing stock to the world. England cant handle pressure, didnt belive they could beat anyone unless it was against teams like Liechestein or some other crap sides, and certainly proved it to everyone agianst Portugal. If i was in a coma i'd still have trusted Sven because of the so called proffesianal idiots that appointed him. :mad:

5. pittsy1

pittsy1 New Member

Jun 28, 2006
    England, Salford
    True but why Sven why not a Italian, Spnaish or someone else, i bet FIFA knew who they were appointing and just wanted to see England fail. He won a cup with Lazio, big wow!!! a bottom division manager probaly would've failed like Sven, but how with players like England have??:confused:

6. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003

They appointed him because he was one of the outstanding managers in the world at the time. He was successful in Sweden, Portugal and Italy before coming to England.

Is English your first language?

7. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    To be fair to Sven he was England's most successful manager's since Alf Ramsey. He took England to 3 consecutive quarter finals placings in major tournaments - losing two on penalties and one to a freak Ronaldinho free kick by the eventual winners Brazil.

His record is impressive - under Sven, England lost 5 competetive matches (including 2 pen shootouts). England also hammered Germany 5-1 in Munich - a match that will remembered in England and Germany for decades.

Of course the better the team performed the greater the expectation levels - anything less than a semi final place at the 2006 WC would have been deemed a failure. As this was not achieved by England Sven has had to take the blame and is generally made the scapegoat along with Becks. Of course it was not Sven who got Rooney sent off or who missed in the penalty shootout. It is usually these players who are subsequently villified but in this case Sven has managed to be the one who has taken the blame.

8. Booba

Booba New Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Sankt-Peterburg
    It would be desirable to express concerning Sven from far Russia. All life I am ill for England and Russia. But I do not understand, what for you abuse this trainer who actually though somehow could balance our team. Let he sometimes was mistaken, but all are mistaken in fact. As, it is spoken in Russia: « If the player is not mistaken, means, it sits on a bench! ». But not the unimportant factor is the luck – has not sufficed ôàðòà Sven Goran. And you lower on him dogs. he as the noble person has undertaken fault from made. But my hopes all the same on McClaren. Only the Englishman can understand the football, only the Russian trainer can understand Russian football. That's all, that wanted to tell. Thanks all for attention.

9. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    Are you Scotch or dislexic, I'll forgvae yoo eef is yew caint spill, tosser?

Troll...............:(

10. Joe_Sanchez

Joe_Sanchez New Member

Sep 25, 2005
    England
    England did not have a good record under Sven. The only plus point people can remember was 5 years ago - against a particularly poor German side. England fans dislike him because he can't do any of the things that are required of a good manager. He can't pick the right squad. He can't pick the right team or formation. He picks players on their reputation rather than their effectiveness. He is incapable of changing a game effectively in terms of subs or formation. He cannot motivate players. He can't keep his dick in his pants or his scandals out of the paper.

Yes, England players let us down too. But Sven is a prick, and he ruined the best England squad of my life time.

11. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

Twice you've mentioned FIFA having something to do with Sven's appointment as England manager. Not sure I understand that.:rolleyes:

12. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The best thing is the FA are still paying him for a year unless he gets another job, so don't expect to see him down the job centre anytime soon.

13. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Unfortunately, I don't think there was any way to know these things before Sven was hired. I was shocked at some of his mistakes this time around - most explicitly the decision to not bring another experienced striker and to bring Walcott instead, but not play him??? His reputation, as some have already said, was pretty good. He was sought after by plenty of teams. He had done good things with teams which had previously done little (ie Lazio). Sadly, this has happened to many a national team throughout the history of the game (recently, Parreira comes to mind).

14. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    You are wrong, mate. England did have a good record under Sven - name me a more successful manager for England in the last few decades? Do you not remember England playing in the quarter finals of 2 world cups and Euro 2004? England have not been so consistent since the 60's.

You can disagree with his squad, tactics and formation but his record cannot be disputed and his record compares favourably when compared with Keegan, Hoddle, Venables, Taylor. Robson was also successful at World Cups with England but failed at Euro 1988. You cannot blame Sven for England missing penalties against Portugal (twice) any more than you can blame Venables or Robson for Germany penalty shootout wins.

To have a go at Sven for his promiscuity is laughable he is not married and slept with other unmarried women. Unless you believe in and practise chastity before marriage, to criticisize Sven for this is hypocritical. The fact that these 'scandals' appear in the newspaper are not Sven's doing.

The fact is that under Sven England were so consistent that they were seeded and became contenders for the World Cup in Germany. That they failed in this has more to do with injuries to our main scorer (Owen), a severe loss of form and confidence in our main goalscorer from midfiield (Lamps), an injury to our Captain, Rooney not being match fit and then getting sent off against Portugal and then failing in the penalty shootout. A penalty shootout without 3 of our first choice takers through injury and suspension. Becks, Rooney, Owen, Gerrard and Lamps would be the first choice 5.

Sven's main 'crime' was being too Swedish. The gutter press were gunning for him and succeeded in hounding him out before the World Cup.

15. jerrito

jerrito Member+

Jun 22, 2006
    America
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

All good points! My only surprise was that he made some costly mistakes this time around. Distracted, perhaps? And his personal life was irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. He's a football manager, not a priest.

16. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    sven = 3 time loser

stayed 2 years too long .shouldve stepped down after euro 2004 when it was clear that he would never learn from his previous mistakes.
    ultra cautious all the way .His final substitution in WC 2006 summed him up.
    taking off lennon for carragher just so carra could take a penalty .
    jeez christ.

thank god that imbecile is gone.

17. revelationx

revelationx Member+

Jun 5, 2006
    London
    Just for the record - what substitution would you have made instead of above one?

18. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    You're ignoring the rather overwhelming point of the qualities of the players those managers had to work with.

Sven fucked up, pure and simple. Achieving 3 QFs with that squad was laughable, especially in the manner in which those QF losses came about

19. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    His biggest fcuk up was in the first game, when he took off Owen and replaced him with Downing, up until then we all thought he knew something about Walcott we didn't, but when he did that, all our suspicions were realised - he had no faith whatever in Walcott, so why did he take him???

As for the Portugay game, Carrick was the natural replacement for Lennon, although I would have kept him on........................

20. rooney's right boot

rooney's right boot New Member

Aug 6, 2006
    st.helens
    my view is every england coach apart from alf ramsay have never really bought success to england for example
    sven only made us a quarter final team
    keegan couldn't get england to the 2nd stage of euro 00 and quit
    hoolde tried hard but couldn't win the cup
    tayolr well he was crap
    but vennables was close to euro final and robson was close to a world cup
    final

but with the new boss i don't know if he make england a great team

21. sunny17

sunny17 New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    WEST LOZELLS
    Bring Glen Hoddle and his sprits back. So what if does like handicaps. Do you

22. Americanfootballer

Americanfootballer New Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Critics > England National Team

23. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What?

24. archit2761990

archit2761990 New Member

Aug 30, 2006
    Burlington, Ontario,
    Why are people being so damn negative about Sven Goran Erikkson. You if it wasn't for him England would still be in the gutters just like they were in Euro 2000. Remember how the team was in Euro 2000, but when Sven came there quiet a few good results for the future:

_England beating Germany 5-1
    _Guys like Wayne Rooney, Frank Lampard, John Terry, Jamie Carragher, Joe Cole, Wayne Bridge would not have been given any opportunity had it not been for Sven and Beckham.
    _They now have a defence that is next to Italy's and Serbia's

25. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    that was 5 years ago.
    you cant live off one result.

Wow ,according to this genius .rooney and co wouldnt have been picked if it wasnt for sven and beckham.
    implying that no other manager would have been "clever" enough to pick the countries best players .hahhahaha
    and also implying that beckham helps pick the team.

Ahh serbia.
    a team that conceded 10 goals in 3 games.
    either you are a sockpuppet or a moron.
    I cant decide which.