Sustain the Excellence: Ajax, 2019-20

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, May 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^^^...and I thought he was still and Ajax player!!!:mad:

2. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    LOL....you're gonna have to let it go. Its not good for your blood pressure :D

3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It may be that Frenkie and de Ligt are the only players Ajax lose. According to Overmars there have been no inquiries about Neres and Ziyech. Ajax could have a much better offensive team this season than last. Too bad they have to play in the qualifiers for the CL.

Oranje98 repped this.
  4. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Overmars said the otherday they are not interested in Kean. He is also a client of Raiola which is the kiss of death with Ajax.

6. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Today's friendly against Watford is on ESPN3 here in the US.

7. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  8. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    With a late goal from Jurrien Timber, Ajax defeated Watford in a friendly 2-1. van de Beek opened the scoring for Ajax in the 2nd half to pull the club even. Watford goal came on a hand ball by Dest leading to a PK. Dest had a very good game otherwise. Per Schuurs was a real standout in the first half; rock solid on defense and good on the ball. I don't think we will miss de Ligt at all this season!

Oranje98 repped this.
  10. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Good to hear about Schuurs, but you cant read too much into friendlies

11. Oranje98

Oranje98 Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah I liked Schuurs a lot. He has the same "mature despite being young" genes of de Ligt, but only time will tell if he is gonna step up when it matters.

12. He wasnot captain of Fortuna Sittard at 17 for nothing.

Oranje98 repped this.
  13. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes, Kristensen looked to be fourth choice behind Mazraoui, Veltman and Dest. Writing was on the wall that he would not figure in Ajax plans.

Oranje98 repped this.
  15. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ajax and Club America have reached agreement over the transfer of Edson Alavrez pending a medical. Good bit of business again. I'm liking the makeup of this team. I hope they don't stumble in the CL qualification rounds.

16. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Looking forward to the new season and hopefully no more transfers out.
    I must admit I figured Ziyech, Neres and Van De Beek all would have moved as well. So many rumors about them moving on but happy to see them stay.

17. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think vdBeek will be gone next summer if he has a good season

18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I posted a quick note over on the Mexico forum welcoming Edson Alvarez to Amsterdam and have already received 21 'Reps' They are always happy when top Meican NT players get offers from good European clubs.

19. Most of them are very much in favourof Mex players going to the Dutch league as they see it as the best stop for getting used to Euro style soccer.
    When Dest is moving into the selection it's going to be funny, as then the Mexican-USA rivalry can concentrate on one team with the battle who'se the best:ROFLMAO:

20. It's going to be interesting what's going to happen in the center of the Ajax defense.
    The signing of the Mexican Alvarez is a done deal now.
    So for the center they have now Lisandro Magallan (Argentina), Perr Schuurs, Kik Pierie, Edson Alvarez (Mexico), Blind.
    Perr Schuurs in the pre season practice matches was the best of the Ajax bunch and already reminiscent of de Ligt.
    I think Ajax over ate themselves with defenders and it's going to cause problems as these are guys who didnot come to Ajax as a bench/sub player.

21. Oranje98

Oranje98 Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I haven't seen Alvarez yet, but as Orange14 said, he can play as a RB.
    I think Veltman will leave to West Ham, and Alvarez will take the RB position, so it will be between him and Mazraoui. On the left, I think it will be between Tagliafico and Dest who won't probably mind being on the bench this season as he is still young.
    CB will be between Schuurs & Martinez "Both seem to be really good", Blind & Pierie who is in the same boat as Dest.

22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ajax were looking at Alavarez for some time so this was not a surprise. ten Hag has a lot of options right now. Mazraoui could easily slot back into the MF which is his natural position. Magallan looks to be slow and I'm not sure that he can be a starter with the team. Pierie needs a lot of improvement and based on what I've seen is not as good as Schuurs. Blind is undersized for a central defender but he is a smart player and excellent on the ball. Martinez has been out injured and I'm not sure when he will be ready to play. the only player who is a lock on his position is Tagliafico. the club wants Veltman to stay but not enough to extend his contract; go figure.

I suspect Ajax are hoping to make it into the CL group stage where this additional depth will be important.

23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ajax friendly with Panathinaikos will be on ESPN3 tomorrow (Monday) at 1PM, Eastern Daylight Time for those supporters in the US.

24. Oranje98

Oranje98 Member

Aug 8, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well, This should be a good test, with Ajax now facing PAOK, another Greek team, in the CL qualifying game!