Sustain the Excellence: Ajax, 2019-20

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, May 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    We'll see what the professionals say when you post them later on.

2. The sit in between us:D
    Ajax – AZ 0-2
    Ajax: Onana 7; Dest 4, Schuurs 4,5, Blind 5, Tagliafico 5; Eiting 4,5, Martínez 5; Ziyech 5 (81. Huntelaar -), Van de Beek 5, Promes 5, Tadic 4,5.
    AZ: Bizot 7,5; Svensson 7,5, Koopmeiners 7,5, Leeuwin 7, Wijndal 6,5; Midtsjø 8 (90. Sugawara -), De Wit 7, Clasie 8; Stengs 8, Boadu 7,5, Idrissi 7,5 (82. Ouwejan -).
    Scheidsrechter Gözübüyük: 6.

3. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    How can they give Blind a 5?

4. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Can we talk on clasie here, In context to the ratings

5. Why not, if it's in the context of the performance in this match. Otherwise in the midfielders watchlist thread.

6. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Was just intrested to know how he did overall compared to ajax MFs. Has he improved or still struggling?

7. Well, he got an 8 rating by AD Sportwereld and Parool (Amsterdam paper) a 7 against them.
    Anyway, in this match he bossed them.
    The possession rate of the match was about 60% Ajax/40% AZ. However I watched what Ajax, especially their midfield did with the ball and that was shutteling it from player to player in the midfield. Eiting had no clue what to do with the ball. In around ten seconds he received the ball 4 times and passed it sideways and back over no more than 6 meters. So the Ajax midfield was clueless how to create chances as where Clasie and the other AZ midfielders put penetrating passes cutting through the defense. The match could have ended badly. 5 or 6 goals were a possibility. AZ could and should have eliminated the goaldifference Ajax had over them.

wilson00 repped this.
  8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    These high ratings for AZ players have to be judged by the quality of the opponent (and their reliability has to be further questioned by the high ratings I've seen for Blind who was just horrible on the night; I don't think he is fully fit).

Ajax are a highly flawed team and only seem to perform well when they get 1-2 early goals and force the opposing team to come out of it's defensive shell. They have conceded easy goals, something that did not happen last season and when they get behind they move players up into the attack leaving gaps. I don't think AZ MF were all that great from an attacking point of view as it was Ajax just forgetting where opposing players were. The team is mentally weak in that regard.

While I am not a big Eiting fan, he is better than Schöne in terms of his ball skills and passing. He is not in de Jong's class and never was. The magical Jong Ajax team of 2017 had van de Beek, de Jong, and Nouri in the MF and they were a wonder to watch. their tight passing was unbelievably fast and accurate.

Ajax are now in a position where they have to win out to take first place in the league.

9. I donot agree with you.
    I watched the highlights after watching the live match and the AZ midfield was fast with one/two touches play cutting deep in the defense of Ajax. Even when Ajax midfield was better it still wouldnot be able to interrupt the passing speed of AZ midfield this match.

10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ajax U-19s defeated Athletico Madrid in the Youth CL and now go on to the quarterfinals. They won the game......................................wait for it................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................. ON PENALTIES after it was scoreless at the 90. Heitinga subbed off the starting keeper for Reiziger who is judged to be better on PKs and guess what, he scored the winning PK!!! Amazing.

11. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Posted this in the Mendez thread but might as well share here to: https://i.redd.it/pwlx4rqjw9k41.jpg

[​IMG]

An age graph from the Ajax reddit. Basically just shows how from 18-21, that generation has been awful. I think this is a huge reason Ajax is struggling. Normally we have a few 18-21 year olds who can contribute out of the academy. We don't now and have had to piece it together by buying older players, 20-21 year olds too.

Dest is pretty much it. I don't count de Ligt with that group because he played up so much with the Donny wave that was special. I think the current 16-17 year olds are supposed to be incredible too.

It was striking too seeing all of the players in that age group for AZ vs what we had.

12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    For some of us it was the awful day in the Alps in the summer of 2017 that remains central. I don't think it's the youth but rather the injuries and something that is just wrong with the club right now. Perhaps ETH is not the creative coach we think and clearly there has been a lack of cohesion ever since December. I was going back and looking at past player ratings and saw some that were extremely critical of Ziyech. Personally, I think it's good that he is transferring as he seems to be hot and cold and when he is cold he's quite bad.

Also remember that Botman and Noa Lang are loaned out and will be coming back this summer. Ajax needs to be creative in the MF and right now they are not.

13. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Alfred Schreuder was the real genius? ;)

14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    There are many Ajax supporters who believe that to be the case. Schreuder has his team in the middle of the table and they are turning into the second most hated club in Germany behind only Leipzig.

15. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Nouri was 22 though. He was part of the magical group with Donny, Frenkie, de Ligt.

I think part of it is it was hard to break into the first team/Jong/etc. when an incredibly strong class is ahead of you. So you are delayed a little in your development.

16. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Brazilian youth MF, Giovanni, joins Ajax from Santos on a free transfer. He was never signed to a senior team contract and Ajax had to pay just a development fee. He will join Jong Ajax immediately.

17. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Which was how much, do you know??

18. pfloyd

pfloyd Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Varna, Bulgaria
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I'm calling it a day trying to understand the logic behind the substitutions. 69th min, we are two goals down. Looks like 3 midfielders are more than enough but the offensive players are not delivering, so a MF is out and a striker is in. So far so good, but 12 min later, with the result and the play unchanged, seems it's the other way round, offensive player is out and a MF is in. Can someone please shed some light on the above mentioned moves? Any input will be highly appreciated.

19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yet another awful performance from a team that seems to have no clue how to score goals. Poor defending on a free kick and a silly penalty gifted Utrecht the match. Ajax had so many cheap give aways that they were always in danger of getting caught on a counter attack. Every cute lay off was right at the feet of a Utrecht defender. The free fall this team is currently in might see them not qualify for any European football next season. If they finish fourth I think they go into the Eredivisie play off for a EL place. I don't think we can talk of a championship season at all right now. I don't know what ETH can do short of resigning. I think he put the right players out there and dropping van de Beek back made sense. Unfortunately, none of them could do anything positive.

Player Ratings:

Onana (6) - made a couple of saves and guessed wrong on the PK
    Tagliafico (6) - one of the better players on the pitch, going full bore and did put a couple of good crosses in
    Martinez (5) - he really looks slow right now
    Alvarez (4) - was having an OK game until the foolish penalty that he conceded
    Dest (6) - like Tagliafico, decent on the night; unfortunately two good FBs are not going to win matches
    Blind (5.5) - better tonight and had some good passing but also gave the ball away cheaply
    van de Beek (5) - horrible on the free kick but worked hard all night long
    Ekkelenkamp (4.5) - saw little of the ball and didn't move quickly enough in the MF
    Promes (5) - average and nothing more
    Tadic (4.5) - must really wonder where last year's magic went
    Ziyech (5) - neither good nor bad and looking for the first plane to London
    Hunelaar (4) - sad to see him out there missing some good chances
    Marin (NR)
    Danilo (NR)

The exciting thing is that Ajax get to play Utrecht yet again, making up the postponed league match. Away to Heerenveen on the weekend. Will this team score?

20. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Amazing statistics from yesterday:
    73% possession
    695 passes with 84% completion rate; Utrecht - 255 and 59%
    20 shots but only 4 on target; Utrecht 14 & 4
    7 corners; Utrecht - 0

This shows how worthless statistics can be sometimes. Unlike the de Boer years when there was a lot of back passing, Ajax was pushing things forward and there were some good entry passes. Unfortunately, when they got close in very little danger was created. I can only remember Zoet making one difficult save. Is Alvarez the only one to score a goal off a corner this season? I remember him doing so earlier in the year but that's it. Last season de Ligt was always dangerous on set pieces.

I read some of the interviews with the players from last night and they seem to be as mystified as I am about this current state of the team. I don't think they will sack ETH at this point in the season and it's really unclear what he can do. He has to put out the players who can make a difference and really work hard to win the league. As I often note, I am forever optimistic and often disappointed.

21. The main problem is that a few guys were injured and not yet fully recovered, but put on the pitch as the replacements were iffy. With a player like Ziyech, who relies on his technique, which requires top fitness, to excute the finesse he has in him, simply isnot fit/recovered enough to deliver the quality he has.
    I think it's quite funny people are moaning (de Telegraaf) about ten Hag messing up the automatisms of Ajax. Pardon? Ten Hag created those automatisms once he found the right players together. This finely tuned set up was thrown into disarray by injuries. The one without excuses for bad play is Donny.

22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It's the injuries but also the lack of magic/luck that I saw last year. All the layoffs and dummies last season were right on target leading to very good goal scoring attempts. this season they all seem to be at the feet of defenders and easily cleared away. Ziyech is really good when he has the opportunity to roam but he's horribly inconsistent. I was looking back at some of my game reports the other day and read the one where they got bounced from the cup in 2017 to Twente. It led to Kizer being sacked and ETH coming in. It was probably the worst match Ziyech ever played for Ajax and he hadn't been particularly good that year. He was very fine last year but inconsistent this season. I really wonder how he will do at Chelsea.

We'll see how the club does this weekend against Heerenveen. ETH doesn't have much room to make changes in the lineup as there are problems at almost every position other than GK and FBs. When those three are your best players, you know the club is in trouble.

23. That's why it's so silly to read all of a sudden in de Telegraaf reports about dscontent etc. about ten Hag. They're just stabbing him in the back as they know that ten Hag is gone this summer, especially with all the quality players on the move and no like for like buys possible.

24. Could be the mental knock delivered at this moment:
    https://www.ad.nl/nederlands-voetba...-het-nooit-meer-hetzelfde-voor-ajax~a0c861b3/
    [​IMG]
    Joël Veltman krijgt rood van arbiter Gianluca Rocchi. © BSR Agency
    Na 5 november 22.27 uur werd het nooit meer hetzelfde voor Ajax

Het spectaculaire verval van Ajax is in een aantal momenten te vatten. Toch is er één specifiek kantelpunt aan te wijzen. Op 5 november 2019 om 22.27 uur ging het goed mis voor Erik ten Hag en zijn spelers.

David Hessing 05-03-20, 14:54

The realisation the dream was over and the group was bound to scatter over Europe at the end of the season with the injuries adding to it.

25. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The Chelsea away match was the turning point IMO. It was a combination of poor officiating and stupid cards picked up in the 1st half by Veltman and Blind. Injuries then complicated everything. Do you really thing ETH is going to leave in the summer? Where is he going? Thoughts were Bayern but they have been on such a good run I'm not sure they will change things. Favre seems to be OK at Dortmund and of course Bosz failed there. Does ETH want to be at one of the other German teams? Ajax will still have a lot of money in the bank. they picked up a second Brazilian who is said to be an AM in the Kaka mode and all they had to pay was a development fee. There are a lot of players coming up through the system. We'll see how it plays out.