Sustain the Excellence: Ajax, 2019-20

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, May 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Do you now agree that those games were robbery? I seem to remember that before you were the only person here arguing otherwise.

And it is clear to me why it has gone so heavily downhill. Our attack has become absolutely decimated through injuries. Neres, Promes, Ziyech and Labyad all out for those periods, those are our top 4 choices for attacking forwards/wingers. Without them we have been forced to bring in an average player in Babel and throw youth players onto the field. Really, given that we might have been better off keeping Noa Lang even though he's far from ready as well.

Schuurs has a lot of promise but he has not made the best of Veltman's absense. My god the guy has made the exact same suicide lateral pass 3 times now in the last two games. All 3 moments caused extremely dangerous counters with one being the lethal 2-0 in Getafe.

It's not a horrible decision but it is one I strongly disagree with. Yes Martinez hasn't played LB but that has been simply because we have Tagliafico, not because it isn't Martinez's best position. Prior to the transfer I spoke to a lot of Argentinians who all felt Martinez was a very good player and a better LB than Tagliafico. I understand us not playing him there if Tagliafico is around (since he is great for us and we can use Martinez in different positions) - but clearly dropping him back to LB and keeping Blind in the much more important CB role was the better choice.

When all is said and done this Ajax team with the heavy injuries just could not beat a strong Getafe team. In truth if we hadn't been robbed out of the CL, the results in the CL probably would have been the same, not because I don't think Ajax has a sick team but rather because that team just hasn't been around for a very long time. It's unfortunate because I actually think this Ajax team with everyone fit is no worse than last years team. The Ziyech to Promes combo was insane, but unfortunately we haven't seen that in a long time now thanks to injuries.

2. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yes, for sure they were great and we absolutely miss them (especially De Ligt).... but more than anything I think the lack of significant injuries is the difference. This Ajax team with its best players is almost just as good as last years team. Adding Promes is a huge improvement and Martinez/Van de Beek/Ziyech in midfield is not necessarily worse than Schone/De Jong/Van de Beek in midfield. Unfortunately because of the massive amount of injuries we haven't been able to play that midfield in a long long time.

People are talking about how much Ajax has fallen now and how bad this team is compared to last year... thats just not fair. Look at the team before the injuries and you will see a very different story. We were killing it in the CL before massive injuries and unbelievable refereeing decisions completely ********ed us. I think in terms of pure talent this Ajax team with all of its players available could definitely have made a far CL run again. Just look at those first 4 CL games when most of the team minus Neres were available. We were much more dominant in those games than we were in the groupstage last year.

3. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Rough day for Ajax and Dutch football today.
    Chelsea debacle pissed season away.
    F UEFA

Brilliant Dutch and DutchFanatic repped this.
  4. Yup. The difference between Dutch clubs like PSV, Feyenoord, Ajax and big league clubs is the bench.
    When the stars are in line and our clubs have a mix of quality youngsters braking through coupled with a few experienced veterans, we still can run high into the CL/EL. When injuries take their toll it gets different. Last season Ajax had no injuries and the perfect young/experienced combo and almost were in the final. A couple of years ago PSV missed the final against AC Milan in my opinion because Fabregas out of frustration that Arsenal was incapable of braking PSV down, kicked Kone out for the season and as far as I'm concerned the missing link that made PSV by one goal miss the final.
    This years injuries were too much for Ajax.
    AZ had too many defenders injured too.

DutchFanatic and Orange14 repped this.
  5. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'll say this about my Ajax team today, they fought to the death against Getafe!!!

It just wasnt enough. We were missing 2 or 3 world class players, and clearly we didnt have those

DutchFanatic repped this.
  6. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I thought Eiting was really good today btw.

Oh, and can we now keep Babel out of Ajax and Oranje, please!!!!

wynaldaisagod and DutchFanatic repped this.
  7. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Whoscored disagrees with your ratings, especially Eiting:

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1435998/Live/Europe-Europa-League-2019-2020-Ajax-Getafe

8. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Lol... :laugh: expect Koeman's call in not so-distant-future. Desperately needed.

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  10. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Eiting with the FK and set up the first goal with an incredible pass. He's an amazing passer. Limited defensively and physically but can spray the ball all over the field. I'm still dumbfounded why Alvarez was playing MF in matches like Valencia over him.

11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He was still coming back from the knee injury he suffered last season. He is a talented player and was a starter early last season for ETH but then got hurt. If he stayed healthy he might have displaced Schøne from the lineup. He doesn't shield the ball as well as de Jong but he's a solid player. He needs to be a starter going forward.

12. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  13. What puzzles me is why Kik Pierie from the start of his signing got demoted to Young Ajax, while he has far more experience at matches with top level clubs in the Eredivisie than Perr Schuurs.

14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    because he is left footed. Doesn't matter as Botman will be coming back from loan and be above Perie for CB.

15. So why did they buy him?

16. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    BTW what happened to Danilo at HT?? Can swapping your shirt after the whistle goes get you banned for the 2nd half?? I've never heard of that before

17. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He swapped shirts with a fellow Brazilian. Perhaps he knew he would come off at that point as Promes was always going to play the 2nd half. I've seen such shirt swapping often in these kinds of games.

18. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    kik Pierie should probably be loaned back again to heerenveen when Botman rejoins Ajax. this will at least continue his development at more competitive level compared to now where he is losing out, playing in eerste divisie. I remember that game where hereenveen drew 4-4 with ajax, he had a solid game in that match. lammers also was on loan at heerenveen that season.

19. I've seen both Botmans and Schuurs and both are less than Kik Pierie.
    In the CD spot it is less of an importance to be left or right footed.
    Are they de facto looking at Kik as a CD, because at Heerenveen he played on the left back spot because he could do that well and they were short of a decent one at H'veen, while having a couple of CD's that could do the job.
    Edit: Kik was a couple of years ago in the Guardian list as one of the top talents of the world.

20. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I have not seen many Heerenveen matches this season so I cannot judge how Botman has been performing. Reports on the Dutch Ajax Showtime website indicate that he has been playing well. The problem with Pierie and Schuurs is that they lack bite (I don't know what the correct Dutch word is as this in the US means a type of aggressiveness). Even as a 17 year old when he broke into the starting lineup, de Ligt possessed this trait. He also did not express fear even when Ajax were playing in Euro matches against 'better' opposition. This is very rare for such a young player.

Both Pierie and Schuurs have very good skills and size. Schuurs looks stronger this year. Whether both succeed as first team CDs remains to be seen.

21. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Bite = fel

Orange14 repped this.
  22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Same story yet again, lots of possession, lots of shots, and mental weakness, lead to another disappointing result from Ajax. Opponents are content to sit back watch lots of passing in the MF and then wait for the inevitable give away or blocked shot and then press forward with a ruthless counter attack. By all rights Ajax should have lost 0-5 had it not been for three great Onana stops. Last season all the intricate passing and dummies led to lots of goals. this year, not so much. Injuries have been a factor but the sheer number of mental mistakes across all competitions is something we have seen little of in the last several years. AZ still have Feyenoord and PSV on the schedule but this Ajax team is unconvincing right now. Maybe they won't drop as low as third, but second place is looking likely.

player ratings:

Onana (7) - three top class saves but was undone by the sheer number of mental mistakes on the part of his teammates
    Tagliafico (5.5) - one of the few players to cause danger in the offensive end
    Blind (3.5) - not just the early lazy pass but he was off all match long; the question has to be asked whether he is fully fit
    Schuurs (5) - average and nothing betteer
    Dest (5) - some good work and some horrible positioning
    Martinez (4.5) - got lulled to sleep by Iridrissi on the second goal
    Eiting (5) - average and nothing better
    van de Beek (5.5) - usual good shift but couldn't do much offensively
    Promes (5.5) - played a full 90 but looked tired in the end
    Tadic (4.5) - just cannot get anything done with so many defenders packed in
    Ziyech (4) - poor match in all aspects
    Huntelaar (5) - had no impact on the match at all but then he never saw the ball

Utrecht away in the Beker mid-week. Will ETH shake things up?

23. pfloyd

pfloyd Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Varna, Bulgaria
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    It''s obvious the team is free-falling in some sort of a black hole but he was obliged to try to change the course of the game. Chang tactics, substitute payers. None of this was done. The one substitution was made after 80 minutes when we were already two goals down. All 12 players that took part in this debacle were plain mediocre. Passing, first touch, ball control, shooting were close to Eerste Divisie levels.

24. 80'

Tagliafico gaat op het onderbeen van Svensson staan, maar de Argentijn wordt niet bestraft.

A filthy red card on purpose stamp on the leg clearly ment to take him out of the match

25. I think you're far too kind to him. He wasnot worth more than a 4. Actually I fail to see him as a quality player. He doesnot produce against quality midfield opponents.