Sustain the Excellence: Ajax, 2019-20

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, May 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Agreed, that made no sense to me either. As it happened I was already really perplexed about the decision to bring in Schuurs. The defense was doing fine, and we needed some offensive input not defensive. Low and behold Schuurs really ********s up and puts us in a substantially worse position for at home. But really, what was Ten Hag thinking? Terrible subs.

As far as the players - I do think Martinez will make a solid replacement for Tagliafico at LB when he leaves.

2. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

3. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    What Getafe did today was a disgrace. The ref is a total clown as well. He allowed it all to happen.

DutchFanatic repped this.
  4. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Jesus that is ********ed.

We all knew this was the worst draw for Ajax, just like Atletico would have been last year. What's going on with Spain man? Atletico, Valencia, Getafe... all teams that just completely suck the air out of every game by playing anti-football. Apparently it works, but is it actually fun for anyone to watch anymore? Fine you can sit through your team doing that one game to get an important win.... but imagine watching this shit for a whole season. Would you even watch?

5. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm glad I missed this shitshow today

6. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Babel is so done. He is clueless. But I will give him A++ today for his act imitating the injured Getafe player. That was my highlight of the match... totally hilarious. Oscar-worthy. :p:D

richsavare, Orange14 and wilson00 repped this.
  7. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I had some meetings today and just finished watching the replay of the Getafe match. This was by far the worst Ajax offensive performance that I have ever seen in all my years (and I go back a long ways). The first shot on goal came in the 86th minute by Huntelaar. It looked as if Ajax had never scouted Getafe and had no clue how to break them down. Almost every pass was over weighted and the MF was totally absent in terms of ball control and passing. Getafe pressure was excellent and Varela spent the match kicking long balls that had no receiver. Down 2-0, it's doubtful that Ajax will dig themselves out of this hole given the lack of offensive punch. ETH has to take a long look in the mirror as he really did not have his team ready to play.

Player Ratings:

Varela (5) - didn't look to distribute the ball out very quickly at all
    Tagliafico (5) - I didn't think he deserved a YC but that call stands and he sits the return match out
    Blind (5.5) - did try to make things happen
    Alvarez (4) - storybook is now closed, he is just not good enough for Ajax
    Dest (5) - no chances to push forward tonight
    Martinez (5) - worked hard on defense in MF but that was it
    van de Beek (5) - no factor at all
    Ziyech (5) - Chelsea must be wondering if he is really worth €40M
    Babel (4) - reverted back to poor-touch player tonight and was quite poor
    Tarore (4.5) - probably not too much to fault him for as he hardly ever saw the ball
    Tadic (5) - no magic this season at all
    Schuurs (5) - has to start from now on
    Huntelaar (5) - a scuffed shot was all

8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Alvarez is worse.

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  10. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Ajax have finalized the signing of FC Sao Paolo winger Antony for €15.75M. This is the same club that David Neres played for. Clearly Overmars is being proactive given the number of players who will be leaving next summer.

11. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Another disappointing loss against Heracles for the third year running. Ajax are never comfortable on plastic surfaces and they couldn't adjust to passing on a slow pitch. I was going to be content with a 0-0 draw and then Blind made an uncharacteristic blunder and Dessers hit the back of the net to become the top scorer in the Eredivisie. Without the key starters, Ajax will face a difficult time in every match going forward and another slip up or two are entirely possible. Feyenoord are on a roll and I can't see Ajax winning in Rotterdam right now. The magic of last season is gone and the team just looks too ordinary.

Player Ratings:

Onana (7.5) - no chance on the goal but three very good saves kept it from humiliation
    Tagliafico (6) - decent enough match but could not deliver anything on offense
    Blind (4.5) - a couple of very bad errors including totally missing his man on the match winner obscured a better than average match
    Schuurs (6) - yes he had a couple of poor give aways but also made some crucial interventions
    Dest (6.5) - one of the better players today
    Martinez (5.5) - looked out of sorts and came off at the half
    Gravenberch (4.5) - poor passing and some defensive lapses
    van de Beek (6) - best scoring chance of the day with a rocket off the bottom of the crossbar
    Babel (4) -exceedingly poor
    Huntelaar (5.5) - worked hard but that was it
    Tadic (5.5) - it's just not happening this year
    Eiting (6) - He needs to be starting against Getafe as he pushes the offense forward
    Danilo (5) - had a chance for a goal at the end of the match but not much else
    Ekelenkamp (NR)

Getafe on Thursday and then AZ at home on Sunday. We'll know what this team is made of in seven days. Overcoming the two goal deficit to Getafe will be very difficult as this team really has trouble scoring.

12. pfloyd

pfloyd Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Varna, Bulgaria
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    We started with the arguably weakest offensive line up in recent memory. Huntelaar and Babel way over the hill and Tadic a pale shadow of the player he was last wear. A midfield of Ekelencamp, Eiting and v.d Beek looks promising, if played regularly.

13. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    The English commentator said there was bad wind (and rain as well) + astroturf makes for weird hops. Still a mistake by Blind but those circumstances explains it a little.

Babel is finished. Just can't do anything. Problem is at this point-- who else is there? Could play Traore as 9, Ziyech as RW and Tadic back to LW I guess. Tadic is just as good on the RW and again looked totally lost. Liked that Donny was back playing at the 10.

This team needs Promes desperately. He was on track to have an incredible season. Him and Ziyech are very clearly the best 2 attacking players on the team.

14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Until Promes and Neres (I don't like the fact that he's still out and not training yet) come back this team cannot score goals against a decent defensive team. Tadic was special last year when he played in the middle but is just ordinary on the outside. Meanwhile Dolberg is a regular scorer for Nice, go figure.

15. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Promes comes back into the selection for the EL match tomorrow but it's not clear whether he can start. Ziyech will miss the game as his calf injury is still at issue and ETH wants to take no chances given the AZ game on the weekend. Tagliafico is suspended.

16. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Honestly it just makes me sad at this point. UEFA robbed us of the CL. Now injuries rob us of the EL.

If there was a match to EVER use Marin, this is it. He can hit a set piece.

Without Nico and Ziyech, I am guessing this is the XI:

Babel-KJH-Tadic
    Donny
    Eiting-Gravenbersch
    Martinez-Blind-Shuurs-Dest

I would consider Martinez-Blind-Shuurs back 3 but we don't have anyone who can play LWB at this point. I bet Babel gets pulled at half. If Veltman was healthy, I would have considered Dest as a RW/LW moving Tadic to the 9. But at this point, there just aren't many options.

KJH/Traore are probably a toss up. I'm going with Hunter because if they bunker, he is better in the air. I hope Unuvar makes the 18. And PLEASE no Alvarez.

17. pfloyd

pfloyd Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Varna, Bulgaria
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    This is not sour grape but Getafe should be banned for good from international football competitions just because what they do has nothing in common with football. Not that we are an example but at least we try.

DutchFanatic repped this.
  18. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Man Gravenberg is really really nonchalant on defense. What is he doing? Put in some fricken hussle.

19. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    He's just not ready for this level yet. His passing was poor. Had some bad touches. He's 17 and has great potential but just isn't there yet.

ten Hag's decision to start Martinez as CB and Blind as LB will probably cost Ajax the tie. Moronic.

20. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What a ridiculous decision really. LB is literally Martinez’s main position, and Blind at CB is huge. I really really don’t understand that decision.

21. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    and he flipped the two at half.

Keep Babel on the field was absolutely moronic too. Just shocking decisions.

22. pfloyd

pfloyd Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Varna, Bulgaria
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Can we play worse? It's hard to tell but one thing is sure: this coach needs to go.

23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Everything has gone downhill since the robbery at Stamford Bridge. Ajax were not good enough on the night, giving up a cheap goal early on and then needing 3 goals to win the tie. Ajax played hard but passes did not connect and quite frankly there is not enough creativity in the team that started this match. Greek CR didn't put up with any nonsense and called a good match.

Out of Europe and shaky in the league, Ajax will have a lot to play for in the league. AZ dropped their match today 2-0 and are also out now.

Player Ratings:

Goal Post (10) - three great saves to keep Ajax in the match
    Onana (5.5) - all over the pitch trying to calm down players but caught out of position several times
    Blind (5.5) - one bad mistake but did recover and got a head on an open goal shot to save one
    Martinez (4.5) - poor defending on the goal and not much better as the game went on
    Schuurs (5.5) - shade above average
    Dest (6) - one of the better games
    Eiting (6) - very nice free kick but didn't force the game much
    Gravenberch (4.5) - unimpressive match
    van de Beek (6)- ran hard all match long but couldn't get much done against a stifling defense
    Babel (4.5) - not as many bad touches today but that's only faint praise
    Tadic (5) - just not the same jubilation as last year
    Danilo (5) - got a goal on a tap in and that was his total contribution
    Promes (6) - good to seem him back in the line up, he has been missed
    Huntelaar (NR) - on late and picked up a YC

AZ coming up Sunday and Ajax need both Promes and Ziyech on the pitch if they hope to get a result.

24. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Martinez has not played LB at all for Ajax and did OK as a CB when Blind was out. Ajax needed a passer at LB and Blind plays there for the NT. I don't mind this decision by ETH. Ajax just committed two poor defensive plays over the two matches and was punished.

25. pfloyd

pfloyd Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Varna, Bulgaria
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    If it were just those two blunders I wouldn't worry at all, sh*t happens. It's the young players development, starting line ups, substitutions, the uninspired, monotonous and predictable football we play that I can not accept. It reminds me of the darkest days under FdB. We need new start and new ideas.

26. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think what this shows is how great Frenkie and de Ligt were. Those two and no significant injuries made last year special.