Sustain the Excellence: Ajax, 2019-20

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, May 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    AZ won't sell. They qualified for the Europa League and might make a decent run depending on the draw. I have not seen any news about Ajax buying anyone. There is a Brazilian player they have some interest in but the price is high.

2. AZ isnot going to sell to Ajax. If a sale is in line it will be to a foreign club.
    First, because AZ doesnot want to strengthen Ajax with their own breed and second foreign clubs pay more.
    Both Stengs and Boadu now have the Orange fairy dust sprinkled on them and Wijndal will follow soon.

3. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  4. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    They could be like Ajax with de Jong last year: sell and immediately loan back. It's also up to the players. They could prefer a move to Ajax for 2 years then to a bigger foreign club. The history of AZ players going to big foreign clubs of late isn't exactly good.

Ajax did AZ a little favor by basically giving away de Wit too. I think that was a little solid (a la Ajax buying Labyad for 5m after they got ten Hag).

5. Stengs last year already turned down an offer by Ajax. With his status now and the exposure to the epl in the ManUnited matches for both of them the price will be more than Ajax is willing to pay.
    Besides that, AZ is going to play CL next season, so why move from a team you know by heart.

6. I dunno what social media your reading, but thisis completely fake news.

7. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Ajax will be filthy rich with both V.d Beek and Tagliafico are price-tagged upwards €60M, especially with Euro 2020 is looming where every players tends to look like world-beaters. One good game by Donny, and boom!.. His value will be shot through the roof.

Ajax has done a phenomenal job especially in the past 2-3 seasons in creating a very large moat (separation) of quality with the rest of Eredivisie teams, with selling high (Sanchez, Kluivert, De Jong, De Ligt) and buying low (Nico, Neres, Tadic, Promes). "Responsible" dealing, I guess the way I see it. They have now positioned themselves well to buy and accumulate best talents in Eredivisie, that overtime will make the gap even larger. Great news from Ajax standpoint, bad news for the rest of the league.

8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This is probably true when you also add in all the money they are getting from UEFA competitions. They also generate more match day income than any other team in the league. There is no solution to this as the Eredivisie cannot generate much television income even to a fraction of what the EPL teams get. Bottom table EPL teams get almost €100M from the television contract each year. this is higher than the operating budgets of all Dutch teams other than Ajax and maybe PSV and Feyenoord.

Personally, I want to see a strong Dutch league where teams are solid and can compete in Europe the way AZ is doing right now. I'm happy to see AZ retaining their top players. We'll see what happens but remember the cautionary tale of how Ajax was wandering in the wilderness for 10 years following Koeman's team in the early 2000s until de Boer won four straight (admittedly with terrible defensive minded football).

9. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    LOL....you guys still disappointed Dest chose the USA??
    Nunnnely just sprinted by him like he wasnt even there for the 0-1 PK

10. wynaldaisagod

wynaldaisagod Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Aug 9, 2019
    Or agree to fee in winter with a summer transfer. Same difference.

I'm just worried as a Dutch NT fan of those guys making the giant leaps others form AZ have and completely falling flat on their face. Ajax is a smaller level change, they'll have CL matches to raise the level but it's a more management leap than some AZ players have made.

Stengs didn't want that move because he wasn't sure he'd play. Now that he's better, Ajax will sell important players, etc. he would probably be an auto-starter for Ajax next year.

11. So what happened? I see a 0-2 score as end result.

12. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Stunning result. Props for Willem II who got their game plan right, which was feeding the ball to the two fastest players, Nunnely and Ndy-somebody... (so-difficult-to-spell). Ajax came out flat. The attacking force was so slow, no wonder as Hunter was the leading the attack... and Siem De Jong who sub in later on. Oh, Dest is a joke.

13. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    This is how Ajax lose. The give up two cheap goals on poor play that gives clear counter opportunities to the opponent. On the offensive side, they cannot get a clear shot at goal and everything is turned aside by the defenders or are easily saved by the keeper. Missing Promes and Neres clearly shows the limits of the Ajax attack. Best chance of the night was Tagliafico's hard header that hit de Jong rather than going in the net. AZ can close the gap tomorrow and Ajax have the Valencia match coming up with all to play for in the CL. Promes will be needed for that match.

It will be interesting to see what 11tegen11 comes up with in terms of expected goals for Ajax (could easily be four!!). They so dominated the play statistically. ESPN had a ridiculous number of passes with only about a dozen that were not connected. 29 shots with six on goal. Let's hope the team rebounds from this one. Strange match indeed. Both goals were scored or set up by Ajax academy graduates!!!

Player Ratings:

Onana (5.5) - had nothing to do at all and couldn't make the PK save
    Tagliafico (6.5) - had a wicked header turned aside by de Jong; maybe should have done better on the Dankerlui goal
    Blind (6.5) - decent passing game and came off late as Ajax pushed more men forward
    Veltman (6.5) - decent match
    Dest (4.5) - bad play to concede the PK and dispossessed several times
    Martinez (5) - surprisingly poor match
    van de Beek (6) - two good shots at goal that just didn't make it into the net
    Ziyech (6) - hot and cold; all his shots hit defenders or missed the mark
    Tadic (6.5) - worked hard all night and had some good passes that just were not converted
    Huntelaar (6) - touched the ball maybe twice
    Lang (5.5) - could not repeat his debut performance
    de Jong (5.5) - had a tame header that was easily saved
    Traore (NR) - on late and not a factor
    Mazraoui (NR) - on late and had maybe a touch or two

Big one coming up on Tuesday. This one could go either way!

14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    See my match report. Statistics in favor of Ajax were just stunning but props to Willem II, they are super well organized.

15. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well AZ might win the league or qualify if they finish 2nd.

16. Yup, already mentioned it. No need for them to move from known territory with guys they go along with fine enough.
    For the AZ guys Ajax isnot a step up. They can stay at AZ and next season prepare for the big jump out of the Eredivisie.

Orange14 repped this.
  17. However, they still have to win the match next week.
    AZ that is:D

18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Quite right and they will have two days less rest as they have an EL game at Old Trafford against ManU on Thursday. Tough call for AZ about how hard to try in that one. A win puts them top of the table with a better draw in the knockout round. Ajax are guaranteed Europa League and only need a draw or a Chelsea loss to move into the CL knock out round. Interesting week ahead.

19. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    So I've had a few jenevers, but from what I remember from the game, Willem II were completely outplayed.

Ajax finishing was a joke!!!

20. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Man if we don't have Promes back I will be really nervous for the Valencia game. This is exactly why I was so pissed about the ridiculous shit that went on during the Chelsea games. We now are in a position where we need a result against a very strong Valencia team with an injury riddled team. We should never have been in this situation. It's a disgrace that Chelsea almost certainly will go through and that one of Valencia or Ajax will be out, despite both deserving it way more. Dominated both games by Valencia, received absolute gifts from the ref in both games against Ajax. It's really bullshit, they have truly been gifted the progression and that's a disgrace. Even the fact that they now get to play against a Lille with nothing to play for is so typically lucky for them. Lille with something to play for would have given them a hell of a time.

So now we're in a tough situation... with Neres out, Labyad out and Promes potentially out.... who takes those winger positions?

There are a number of options... Shift Ziyech back to the wing, shift Tadic back to the wing, or even consider playing Dest as a winger.
    Dest as a winger will probably not happen since we've never tried it, but would allow us to at least keep our usual champions league formation. If that isn't working we can always sub Huntelaar in and shift Tadic to the side. I doubt that would happen, but I don't think it's the worst idea.

What I think will happen is Ziyech will switch to LW, Lang will go to RW, Tadic will stay in his normal position and Van de Beek, Alvarez and Martinez will take up the center. It's not the midfield I like, but I think Ten Hag will opt for this considering we go through with a draw....

21. Put Dest there, saver than in the back. He played more than once RW in YAjax.

22. See my post. It was mentioned by vd Looi that he had no clue what to make out of Dest, as he played RB, LB, midfield and winger when he watched YAjax.

23. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Chelsea looked awful today. It is possible that Lille could upset their apple cart on Tuesday. Ajax qualifies with either a draw or a Chelsea loss.

24. I think Lille is going to give it all to at least get one win. Let's hope all the missed chances by Lille were practice shooting to hit the bulls eye against Chelsea multiple times.

Orange14 repped this.