Suspension & Fines Confirmed

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by JayRockers!, Nov 27, 2004.

1. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I have watched the replay at least 20 times and I dont think anyone at the league front office could conclusively say that.

It always appeared to me that the ball struck somewhere between the upper arm/elbow and shoulder.

I dont doubt it was a penalty. I DO doubt it was intentional.

2. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Well I guess we just found our new Bobby Convey.

3. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    I don't deny that Dema stuck his arm out.

As far as I can tell, there were at least two United players, maybe three, who were on the goal line when that shot was taken..

It went directly at Dema, not towards the other players..

THAT, is my point..

Dema is not disrespecting any of his teamates when he did that, for crying out loud that shot was drilled from about 6 yards out.. It took less than a second to get from foot to hand.. If your trying to tell me that Dema decided in that fractional amount of time that he had to play the handball knowing full well that he would put his teamates in peril, well then, you're a better man than me..

It was a bang-bang reaction play.. To say that it couldn't have happened to any other player is BS..

4. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FIFA disagrees.

It's a one-game suspension. Mandatory. Period. End of debate.

And I thought we were done finding things to whine about. :rolleyes:

5. Diceson

Diceson Member

Dec 21, 1999
    I think it's ridiculous to say that Kovalenko doesn't respect his teammates. He was caught on the hand ball. Reading more into it seems to be an act of futility.

As for the bigger question, should he be dealt before next season, I'd say there are a couple of reason that he shouldn't be traded. First, of all the midfielders, Kovalenko is the most versitile. Although not overwhelmingly effective at any one position, he has shown that he has some attacking skills, can play the wings, and can be effective as a defensive midfielder. Olsen doesn't have the speed for the wings anymore. Gomez hasn't shown much defense, and admits it is his weakness. Carroll does have glimpses of some attacking skill, but isn't consistent. Gros and Adu will have to prove that they can continue play at this level consistently. I only say that because most rookies who have good first seasons often have a let down during their sophmore season. It's almost as much a law as is rookies "hitting the wall" sometimes during their first year. At first look, Kovalenko is the one player that can be plugged in at any position in the midfield.

Also, remember that DCUnited, along with KC, will be playing for keeps a month earlier than any of the other MLS clubs. There's no doubt that Nowak & Co. will want to win the CONCACAF Club Cup. Kovalenko is obviously experienced at the system that Nowak will employ. Furthermore, because the games will be very early in the year, many of the players will likely not be in game shape. Of all the players at pre-season in Bradenton last year, Kovalenko certainly was one of those that came in ready to play from day one.

It might be that PN will deal Kovalenko later in the year. However, I don't see the team making any moves, including bringing in an allocation to replace Nelsen, if he goes. It's an eight month season. PN showed that he's willing to wait for things to shake out before making moves. It will be interesting to see if that is the case.

6. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only way that I can see United moving Dema is due to the fiscal constraints of the league. He's more effective in a central midfield role, where he is cover for Benny, BC, or even Gomez (but he's behind Freddy in this spot), he's servicable out wide, but not nearly as effective.

If the team comes up with another revelation as Gros, I can see the team moving Dema simply because he would be making a lot of money on the bench.

But I like the guy, there are always guys that you hate when they're on other teams, but when he puts on your shirt, you're glad he did.

Same with folks like McKinnley, or Aunger.