Survivor Ethan in the Quakes broadcast booth?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by SJfuture, May 14, 2004.

1. SJfuture

SJfuture New Member

May 25, 2001
    Livermore, CA
    I heard a nasty rumor about this....is it true?

2. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Well, he was a field reporter for the Gals before. And he knows soccer and has camera presence. Can't be any worse than Vermes or Calichmann.

Got a source for the rumor?

3. SJfuture

SJfuture New Member

May 25, 2001
    Livermore, CA
    My boss mentioned he heard it on the radio last night.

That said, I found this little tidbit online:

"Ethan Zohn, winner of television reality show SURVIVOR: AFRICA and a recent member of the cast of SURVIVOR All-Stars will join the Los Angeles Galaxy announcing team for five broadcasts on KCAL 9 during the 2004 MLS season as a sideline reporter, the club announced today."

http://goalie.grassrootsoccer.org/article.php?cat=4&id=73

So maybe it's not true after all. Who knows?

4. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    I did hear Wednesday night from a highly-placed source that "auditions are continuing" for the color commentator's role. We could see a revolving door in that position this year.

5. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, it's not like Alexi is out selling tickets or anything, maybe he could do it.:D

6. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Since he's now "involved" with the club, he couldn't be as objective and critical as he was when he did the job before...he has to be a little more "PC".

I did bring up the name "Ray Hudson" and got a cold silence in response...

7. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    what is wrong with Schrader by himself? he called a game in Columbus IIRC and did a fine job by himself.....

or get Johnny Moore and he can air some dirty laundry to everyone...:D

8. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God bless Ray for his enthusiasm, but he's not our guy. I'd really enjoy his commentary had he never coached in the league. But given the thug tactics his teams employed against the Quakes, I've lost respect.

From what I've seen of Ethan, he'd make a good sideline reporter. Can't be any worse than Lorrie Fair. I know nothing about his ability to add insightful commentary to a match, though.

9. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    bsman for color commentator! Hell, nobody's more colorful than me. Also, I'm quite ignorant, so I'll be sure to throw in at least a handful of 'howlers' each game. Add a few incredible mispronunciations (a la Mike Schuman - Jeff "a-goose", "Tory Day-ak" ) and I think we've got a winner! :eek:

10. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    It's obvious you did not see the last LA Galaxy broadcast on Mother's Day weeekend. Ethan did a little segment during half-time with his mother and the whole bit seemed forced and uncomfortable. His sideline reporting did not add much to the broadcast. Painful, it was.

You can read more viewer reactions to his debut at this LA Galaxy thread.

I'd take Lorrie over Mr Survivor any day.

11. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    As long as you don't create "HAV-ock" in the broadcast booth, I'd support you...

12. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Don't worry, Spartacus. I model my delivery on the Fred Willard character in "Best of Show"... :D

13. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    I played in a celebrity softball game against Fred Willard many years ago. Got a clean single to right off Mr. Willard at SJ Muni Stadium prior to a Bees game in 1985.

14. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

And I'll bet you were playing in a cowboy hat and boots! ;)

15. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Having seen Ethan Zohn's fine work on the Gals broadcast, I would have to say that he would complement John Shrader quite adequately.

Take that however you will.

16. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    But I never had a bobblehead made...

17. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree with either of these suggestions. Schrader alone does a great job, and it would be enhanced if he had J. Moore at his side.

18. Jay Hipps

Jay Hipps Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still think Brandi Chastain should get a chance. Give the girl an audition!

19. ilovesjquakes13

ilovesjquakes13 New Member

Jul 25, 2002
    Los Gatos/San Jose
    Just some fun Ethan-Quakes Connections:

Ethan use to play soccer with Zak Ibsen in South America and Ethan has attend three Quakes' games (2002).

20. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    I hear Dennis Miller's available.

21. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    :D

I can see it now:

"Landon Donovan is doing to American soccer what Pericles did to the Cleisthenes reforms."

Um, no thanks.

22. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In working on the Cleisthenes reforms, was Pericles a tres-quartista? ;)

23. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you misprononce Cowboy's name, I will have to beat you. I don't wanna have to beat you. :)

24. mike mcclellan

mike mcclellan New Member

Sep 19, 2002
    San Jose
    I loved hearing Randy Hahn call a game in Schraeder's absence a couple of seasons ago. Don't imagine having two play-by-plays and no color guys would work though. I thought Sullivan was absolutely horrible. Not sure what accent that was but I found it distracting. Speaking of accents, I could probably forgive Hudson for all his misdeeds if he became our color guy. (Also might give us some mileage with local media since he's a pretty engaging guy.)

If Heather Mitts is unavailable, I think Brandi might do a good job as would Laurie Farr.

If Toby Charles isn't available, are there any players from the Clash days that might have settled in the area? No one really comes to mind as articulate and interesting, though. How about just going with whatever Earthquake is on the injury list? I wouldn't mind hearing from Brown, Dunivant, Robinson, etc.

Or, how about the BigSoccer Poster of the Week? Each week, the poster with the most intelligent post, as voted on by a jury of his or her peers, gets to fill in as the color commentator? ;)

25. gilmoreaz

gilmoreaz Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Peoria, Arizona
    I've got it Quakes fans...

With the 30th Anniversary of Soccer in San Jose, why don't they have a guest color man every game: Here is the perfect line-up for the next 5 weeks:

1. Paul Child
    2. Mike Hewitt
    3. Chris Dangerfield
    4. Mark Demling
    4. Johnnie Moore
    5. Davie Kemp

You want insight Earthquake fans, do this and you will get it! Most live in San Jose, and all would be willing to do it I'm sure!

However, I do not hold out any hope. The MLS Quakes are sitting on a tremendous 30th anniversary and literally appear to be sitting on their hands, not doing a damn thing!