Survivor: Cook Islands (now with racial profiling!)

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Ringo, Aug 23, 2006.

1. the stranger

the stranger New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Yeah, he has grown on me too. I think deep down he was disgusted with the attitudes of his new tribe, and that may have swayed him to vote for Nate, because strategically his betrayal was 50-50 at best

2. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Not if he's playing for second place...

3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly in relation to how we view the contestants as fans, Johnny Fairplay is a villian to top all. But in terms of alienating the most players within the game itself, Jonathan is certainly right up there. Even if I liked his decision this week!

4. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. I LOVED Johnny Fairplay. he's still my alltime favorite survivor. He made the game interesting. That's why I loved having Jerry in Australia -- I hated her, but she was a good character.
    To me, the villans are people like Adam ... who's lazy, arrogant, does nothing and brings down the show every time he's on camera.
    As a fan, I love the good guys and the bad guys. As long as they're playing the game and are interesting. Adam, for example, is doing neither.

:)

5. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and one final word, to Adam, Candace and Pavarti: where do they get off being mad at jonathan?
    Candace and Jonathan flipped and burned the other tribe but they rewarded them for it. They had three chances to vote them off and punish them for their betrayal. But since they didn't, since they kept them around it was a de facto acceptance that betrayal is ok.
    don't get pissed that it happened to you. You could've kept loyal members of your alliance, instead you decided to keep traitors around. You got burned. Deal with it.

and how dumb are they for not even entertaining the thought that Yul had the idol. I mean, like Jonathan said ... nobody else who went the island had it, it had to be yul. that failure right there should preclude ANY of them from winning any money. they should have to forfeit everything.

6. the stranger

the stranger New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Is there a prize for second place (honest question; this is the first season I've watched in a while)?

Also, does the HII expire at some point? I would assume it can't be used in the final two, for example

7. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    $100,000 -- not bad for six weeks work. There's also lesser prizes on down the list, at least through the jury...

The HII is good to or through the round of four-- not sure which.

8. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    everybody gets some money. i think the first person voted out still gets a couple thousand (not to mention a press junket to new york).

the immunity idol CAN be use at the final four, but then it is forfeited.

9. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    Jonathan blew it, by going with Yul, the idol remains hidden so Yul is a shoe-in to the final 4 where the idol goes away.

Jonathan could have voted for Yul, knowing that Nate was going to be #2, he never committed to Yul, at least on camera. By voting Yul he remains "faithfull" to his tribe, idol is gone and Nate is gone and its now a 4 v 4 match in alliances. He then puts his faith in winning immunity.

Now, idol is still among the "hidden", though 5 people know where it is making those 5 (well at least 4 of them, not sure Yul would give it to Jonathan) rock solid and its 5 - 3 for any votes, unless JOnathan swings again. Jonathan will be gone before the final 4 unless he wins immunity at all the right times.

Adam has to go, come on 9 minutes on the pole??? No desire, totally lazy. next week will be fun with the "what you're not gonna share" line?? With Jonathan swung back over, the other 3 have no food gatherers. Parvarti needs to be looking to jump ship NOW or she is toast.

10. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if you were on yul's tribe, would you take her? why? she's lazy. you don't need her. she's tight with adam and candace and probably couldn't be trusted.

she's toast no matter what she does, and thank god.
    she could jump ship, but that doesn't mean yul and ozzy will be there to catch her. she'll just be drowning in the ocean if she jumps.

11. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    Nope, they'd be nuts to take her, but, as my teenage sons put it: she's hot.

Actually you're right, she's toast, but she isn't that tight with Adam cause of jealousy over Candace and she always seemed to be one vote that was up for grabs, but the Yul tribe has no reason to take her now. If Jonathan had been smart and voted for Yul to out the HII and take out Nate all in one move. Then this show would more interesting going foward. Now, short of someone swapping sides (Jonathan again???? ) It's a cake walk for a few weeks for the Yul group.

12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow - four fantastic episodes in a row!

As fun as it was, the best was Probst's line at the end: A kiss is nice, but if it was love he would have given you the immunity idol.

13. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed -- this has been a fun season.

Yul is great -- he's talking about self-interested rational actors now. He is operating on an intellectual level a few miles above Parvati and Adam.

14. I am Joe²

I am Joe² New Member

Jan 10, 2001
    Jersey
    I agree, this season has been really good. The tension around camp and at tribal has been great. Jonathan's a douche and has no shot at winning it all. I was really surprised how well Adam did in that Immunity challenge, I hope he wins a few more just to make things interesting and force Yul's tribe to start eating their own. I'd like to see Yul, Ozzie, Jonathan and Adam in the final four.

15. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm

My dish soap is operating on an intellectual level a few miles above Parvati...

Sorry to see Candace go; wimpy in isolation, but a decent physical competitor. I sort of hoped she'd win. Now I guess I'm pulling for Ozzy...

Not as big an episode with me as the last three... we've seen the "the five decide that the three don't have to be fed anymore" bit before, and it seems pretty foolish/stupid to me; these folks will at best all be on the jury, and at worst, who knows. Nothing is gained by kicking them while they are down. This episode could wind up with more rancorous relationships per square inch than any other...

And the challenge seemed to fizzle to me-- I couldn't tell whether they are all just lousy at arithmetic or if no one remembered the right ansers to the trivia...

16. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's the UN (another good Probst line from last night).

17. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i took great pleasure in Candace crying on Exile Island and getting voted off.

and here's my take: Yul ain't being that bright lately. Several reasons:
    1) He told Jonathan he wants to take him to the final two, so he can win. Good strategy but don't say it aloud. What happens when he gets to the final five ... you think Sundra and Becky wont' find that information VERY interesting?
    2) he blabbed in front of Candace and her gang of idiots about Jonathan and it came back to bite him. Probably makes Jonathan a bit more eager to use the info in No. 1.
    3) his biggest blunder ... right before TC he was speaking with Becky like him being in the final two was a foregone conclusion. Talking about how he'd have victory votes and how when he's in the final two, blah, blah, blah. Did you see the look on Becky's face? Sort of a 'what the hell is going on here' sort of look?

Now, of course he has the immunity idol and that's tough. So either they wait until the final four, becky and sundra force a 2-2 tie or something. Or they start right now. Put four votes on Yul and force him to play the idol. he stays in the game, Parvati or Adam still goes home but you level the playing field. I guess that won't work too well because you'd have to convince parvati AND adam to go along with it. While they're stupid I think they'd sniff this one out.
    Point is, the other players HAVE to be thinking of a way to get that immunity idol out of Yul's hand.
    I like Yul and I've said for sometime that he's the clear favorite, but I'm not so sure anymore.
    I think Ozzy's the favorite. If they four make it down to the final four, I could see Yul being the odd one out because he's the golden boy and people might want to sit next to someone else. OR if he makes it to the final two, how much will Adam, Candace and Parvatie poisoned the well for him?

18. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    I would be shocked if Adam managed to win many more challenges. He's dumb as a box of rocks and has been stunningly incapable in prior challenges, at least in comparison with Yul and Ozzy.

If Jonathan can survive to the final two, he could win it all--after all, everybody knows how aggressively he's been playing the game, and he hasn't really hidden it. Against Yul or Ozzy, he's toast; against one of the quieter opponents, he could snatch it.

Candace dug her own grave last night. Up until her tantrum on the beach, she had a shot at convincing the group to dump Jonathan.

19. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with Ringo's take -- Yul has maneuvered himself into the second-most-disliked position, so he needs to protect Jonathan at the expense of his allies. Meanwhile, Ozzy is a monster in challenges and is otherwise flying under the radar -- everyone respects him and nobody hates him. He has a very good shot at making it to the final 4 -- he'll be hard to beat.

20. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Yul should have kept quiet about the immunity idol.

21. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree ... his telling his alliance/jonathan was the right move. it turned the game and it may win him $1 million.
    if you're talking about he shouldn't have blabbed at the reward challenge, ... that seemed to not serve any purpose. but I also didn't think it hurt him, either.
    :)

22. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yul and Ozzy are possibly my two favorite Survivors EVER!

23. JayJay

JayJay Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Brew City
    I think telling everyone about the II was a great idea. He basically has played it without losing it. Now everyone else has to stratagize around it.

I do think they did the right thing getting rid of Candace now and hanging on to Jonathan. 5 - 2 is better then 4 - 3. As long as Jonathan doesn't go on some crazy IC run, they can get rid of him at anytime.

I don't think Yul neccassary told Jon that he would take him to the F2. I think he just told him that if it were the two of them Yul would have the better chance. He told Jon what he needed to hear, without really promising anything. I did kind of cringe though when he was talking to Becky. But, there may have been more to that conversation then what they were showing.

And Nate. SHUT UP! You are just as annoying on the jury not being allowed to say anything as you were in the game. SHUT UP!

24. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THANK YOU. couldn't agree more.

also, what do you guys think: should they have shared the food? I say no. Jonathan was right ... they lay around all day, they don't fish, make fire or fetch water. they sit around waiting for the dinner bell to ring. why should those five be responsible for feeding them? they could at least make an effort -- even a half-assed effort would be better than what they're doing now.

25. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    Agreed on both counts. If I see one more of his open-mouthed expressions or the "You tell 'em" expressions I'm gonna go postal. And the three of them are lazy buggers.