Survivor: Cook Islands (now with racial profiling!)

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Ringo, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

jenna never played flirting up as her strategy ... if so, she could've had Cesternino in her backpocket. she floated along and then won two challenges and was the lesser of two evils at the final TC.

hatch and the car salesman were 'controllers' but those two never relaxed. I was referring more to the controllers who thought everything was taken care of and they could sit back and gloat. The guy who ran the alliance in Boston Rob's first go-round (Sarge was in that alliance) was the classic example. Anybody who says 'I'm in complete control, I'm calling the shots' is usually being set up for a serious fall. Hatch and the other guy never got fat on their success. But, yeah you're right with your point. I was just looking at it from a different perspective.

2. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    No, of course she didn't; but it was a part of her toolbox... she was a lot better and subtler at it as well even though she set no records for subtlety. Tina was exceptional at it-- but a.) she was a nurse by trade wasn't she? and b.) had some serious life experience, and c.) used it as a tactic not a strategy.

I'll have to rewatch Amazon when it comes up on the syndication to see what compare and contrasts I can find on Jenna.

But Parvati's approach is simpleminded and overt, and I don't expect it to work very well for her unless she develops some other aspects to her game to go with. And so far her athletic skills are unimpressive. One would expect a boxer to display some conditioning and pain tolerance at least but she was out of the weight and water challenge just as quick as all the other females. Disappointing to a lifelong male feminist; the lacrosse jock may have been more exceptional than I thought...

And of course you are correct if we add the "feeling secure" qualification re "controllers..." If thats the your chosen line of play, you better keep an eye out for the unseen and the undetected... They are going to have meetings you are not in on, and unless you have a pretty good idea of and control over what they are discussing in those meetings as well, you are not "in control" you are just another type of target.

3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terrific stuff! I thought the producers were just misleading us into thinking that JP might be a threat - I certainly couldn't believe that Parvati would keep her mouth shut and not tell. And given the post-episode statement from JP, he sure didn't know a thing about it. But we also saw the votes from everyone, and since Brad also voted for JP, we have to assume that Parvati did talk to him. This type of total blindside is what makes Survivor so fun.

4. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blind sides are the best!!

I only wish it would have happened later down the line, I barely knew this guy existed until this episode (it's too hard to track 18 some-odd players). It's the juiciest when you get a feel for how much of an asshole they are--and, for me, that takes a certain number of episodes for those feelings to ripen.

I loved it when Judd and Shane got theirs. I am predicting Johnathan will be this season's version of those guys.

This guy JP was no sour grapes at all when he got knocked out, and even conceeded that he was largely responsible for the loss of the challange, which makes me think he was more humble then the shotcaller the show portrayed him to be at the beginning.

5. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    like I said after last week's episode, the controllers who show up too early always seem to get voted off. especially since everybody was talking how he was king.

Nate was stupid as hell telling the girl the four guys were very tight. just stupid.

I was so happy to see JP get voted off ... those were some mean-spirited, arrogant SOBs. I was lovin' seeing them get humbled. I think Brad is just as much of a tool as JP, but since he voted with the majority he might be around for a bit.

interesting to note that Probst said that who ever won immunity would be guaranteed 'another day on the island' ... not another three days like usual. do they have something up their sleeves for the next challenge or did probst misspeak?

coi boi is always played up like he's on the firing range but has never been threatened. the bird thing was stupid, though.

interesting how in one tribe the men were lazy and in the other the girls were lazy.

did the survivors go hunting for the other team's beach? i wonder what happens there.

overall, a good episode. the losing tribe had, to me, the villians. It's always nice to see the bad guys lose.

6. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not always three days--there's always some variance in the seasons with more than 16 players.

7. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it's not always three days ... but if it's truly one day are they gonna have two tribal councils? because if it's one day and TC is always the final act of the show, they're banking on getting an entire show's worth of stuff out of those knuckleheads in one day. will they have enough to fill up an episode if TC is the next day?

8. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not bad - not quite the heights of last week, but still good.

The teams seemed to strategize the first part of the immunity challenge but not the second part. Having no strategy for getting people (everyone, I mean) up on the little platform was a big mistake.

I though Probst might bring up the camp visit during tribal council - maybe he did, but it didn't make the episode.

9. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    I felt like a lot of things didn't make the episode. Stephanie must have been acting a lot more burned-out than was portrayed. I find it really hard to believe she unanimously got the axe because she said a plate of mashed potatoes sounded yummy.

And Jonathan continues to be a dork - why let everybody know that the idol is no longer there. While it's not as good as having the idol itself, at least knowing (or believing) that somebody already has it is a valuable piece of information, especially when it's likely to be in the hands of somebody in his alliance. Then he just goes and spills it.

10. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, that was a dumb move by jonathan. I was really shocked the other tribe found that island. I mean, I thought they would be further apart just so something like that didn't happen.

i'm just getting tired of cowboy.

I agree about not planning strategy. some of the girls were just climbing up first and standing in the middle. I would've though somebody would've said, guys first, and every one put a girl on your back. something like that. get the big guys on there, and let them smaller women work in around them (and on them).

I'm really not liking the tribe that lost again. I didn't like they way they ambushed christine (or whatever the cops name is) at TC by telling her she was bossy. have the decency to say something to her face before hand. And all she was trying to do was feed you people. I'm not saying they were wrong to feel put off by her -- I just didn't like the way they handled it. and judging from the previews there were being nobs again next week.

11. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why didn't they kidnap christina? I mean, it was obvious from the TC that she wasn't in the alliance and she was gonna get voted out. kidnap her, make them breakup their alliance (which will help you after a merge). plus, it throws them into chaos since they have to decide who to vote out on the fly and without private discussions.

thought it was a dumb move.

12. JayJay

JayJay Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Brew City
    I was wondering the same thing. I thought it was an easy decision.

13. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    I thought so too, but the wife didn't think they'd save her either. I would have been all over saving Christina.

14. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    anybody else sick of the kissy face with candace and adam. first, adam is a grade-A d!ck. but second, that's gotta come back and haunt them.

i mean, if I'm in candace's alliance and I saw that ... I'd be VERY worried about her loyalties. I would imagine Adam is already counting on being able to flip her to their side.

if it was me, candace would be the next to go. of course, it was never established if they noticed or not.

15. the stranger

the stranger New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Nate is on the opposite tribe for the reward challenge, right? They may have just been going for the strongest player, it's the best justification I can think of

16. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everybody in Aitu, except Ozzy, has former tribemates on Raro that they probably want to protect, so they were willing to let Cristina get booted. Ozzy's only remaining former tribemate was Cristina, whom he didn't like, so he was willing to let Cristina get booted. Thus unanimous agreement to let Cristina get booted rather than rocking the boat. So they picked based on strength rather than voting strategy.

17. JayJay

JayJay Member

Jan 21, 2000
    Brew City
    True, it would strengthen their team while weakening the other. I just like to see the other team have to scramble to decide who they were going to kick off. Although, it did seem as though Jenny was also on the chopping block so maybe it wouldn't have been as difficult as I first thought.

18. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    but how strong is nate, really? I mean, when's the last time he won anything? that tribe talked about how strong they are but they haven't done jack.

What the winning tribe (I don't even know their names) as shown is that teamwork and brains wins the challenges. Even in the last challenge, which was all about strength, Candace was the key player.

Yeah, he's got muscles, but that doesn't mean he's a strong competitior. but I'm sure that that's why they took him.

19. the stranger

the stranger New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Raro ceased to be stronger back when they got rid of JP. Off the top of my head, Nate was important in Raro winning the circular-ocean-weighted tag game and the holding up 10lb bags game, and performed well in the last challenge, although his team lost

20. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    I thought they thought "If they want to vote off Christina, let 'em, Its a dumb move." And went for physical strength and someone they might flip was secondary... Since this person is going to live with them for a while they moght also have been going for someone they might snow...

21. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Actually what struck me about the episode was that they had too much stuff for one hour. The season tends to get a bit saggy in here when there are still enough players that you don't remember much about some of them, and you haven't really focused in on who you are rooting for. It seemed to me they over compensated by putting the double council in here when they already had one of the most interesting challenges ever. The result was that they had three major things to fit in-- and then they got one of the most ornate strategies for a council ever, and didn't have enough time to explain it and where it went wrong very well... they might almost have just split this into two episodes and lived with the consequences...

Of course their very physical challenges in the past-- netball and the huge ball game-- have proven difficult to film, and they may have not trusted this one to be so camera friendly...

22. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one thing I've never understood -- this is like the third or fourth time they've let all or part of the other tribe observe the other TC. why does the tribe at TC say anything? they should just nod yes or no or refuse to answr questions. the beneift of wathcing is to gather knowledge, see alliances, see who the outsiders who could be plucked, etc. ... why give them that knowledge. I'd clam up.

23. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some really interesting things tonight. At first it looked like the mutiny option was going to go unused, but the two caucasians stepped out at the last minute. The look on the faces of both tribes was priceless. Then to have the smaller Aitu win both challenges following that was one of my favorite moments of recent Survivor seasons.

12 people left when the first member of the jury was named - what's coming there?

24. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a very satisfying episode. Nice drama set up by the mutiny, which immediately defined the "good guys" and the "bad guys," and then the "good guys" won both challenges.

25. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Jury chooses from final three or
    Final two get to kick one juror or
    Jury gets to select one of their own to win something or
    Winner of final three gets to boot other two and go against a juror or
    something else.

There's hundreds of twists they can put on this game yet...