Survivor: Cook Islands (now with racial profiling!)

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Ringo, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The best early island division we had over here, was an all male island with one female as the leader vs. an all female island with a male as the leader. It was great TV.

The males lead by the female were on the island which had the least amount of food, yet they got along greatly, both with each other and their camp leader.

The female island had all the women rebelling against their male leader and fighting against each other, despite the fact that they had more food (both on the island itself and extra supplies they were granted).

It was probably the only reality show over here that lead to such a big polemic in papers and on the internet about gender equality, the position of men and women in society, gender in authority figures, ...

It isn't often that a silly reality show can trigger a serious debate.

2. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Surely, this is a possible reason for the fighting. When they didn't have the problem of food to rally around they moved on to other things. Less of a common mission there it looks like.

just a thought.

3. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    That was suggested in the polemic that was prompted by that series.
    I have to say, it probably had something to do with it, at least. Adversity (like lack of food) can bring people closer together.

However, another reason that the men's island got along so well was that the female in charge of the men's island did a much better job at managing and leading her island than her male counterpart did on the female's island.
    And for some reason, the women on his island seem to have it out for him from day one.

4. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it should also be tried with four "islands": two all woman as well as two all man ones. one set will have little food and one with more food.

I bet it is more about the group being female than the leader being male.

5. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    This show is going to be a catalyst for a reality race war....:D

6. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stupid stupid stupid.

You never throw a challenge on Survivor. If you have a guy who's that bad, he'll cause you to lose one for real sooner or later, or perhaps you'll end up in a challenge that you just can't win for whatever reason. Then you have an easy vote. Now, if the next challenge is something they suck at with or without Billy, the remaining 4 have to vote out one of themselves. If he's lazy, let him be lazy. The other 4 can do the same amount of work whether Billy's laying about or out of the game. Looked like they had enough food.

But that love at first sight stuff was creepy. She said "We love you," definitely not in a "Where have you been all my life" way. Billy reminded me of Bobby Boucher with his response. Telling that story might have sealed his fate. The ladies were probably going to vote him out anyway, but no woman wants to be around Creepy Obsessive Guy, even if he's obsessive about someone else.

7. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's funny, cuz I thought he looked like a Mexican Adam Sandler myself.

8. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    Throwing the challenge was dumb, eventually they will loose one and that would be a "free vote". Now if the loose one, they need to get rid of someone usefull. He would not have been a problem until a merge happened and then he would be someone else's problem.

Also, it showed the tribe who lost last week, they are very weak in challenges. Even with throwing the challenge the loosing team was catching up to the team that lost last week. The other two tribes where very competitive and worked very well together.

9. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I'm not as versed in Survivor history -- has any tribe ever thrown a challenge so obviously? I've seen individuals bail out of individual challenges but can't recall seeing a tribe do that before.

Good for Yul that he found the hidden immunity idol, but could those clues have been more obvious? I wonder what the third clue would have been: "dig here, dummy"?

10. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the season with Jonny Fairplay, his tribe threw a challenge, but it backfired, as the guy whose idea it was ended up being voted out.
    Last season's clues were more obvious. At least this time he had to be smart enough to know which way is south.

11. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Somebody else consciously threw one too-- ws it Amazon? A team threw a challenge, voted out who they wanted, and never won again... I think its a legitimate tactic, but should be used in desperate cases, not annoying ones; and probably not in small tribes...

12. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you're right about the team throwing the challenge but it came back to haunt them because they ended up going into the merge down on numbers.

bad move this early because I have a feeling we're gonna have two tribes in the next couple of weeks ... survivor is a numbers game and you don't cost yourself numbers.

when billy was talking about true love ... it reminded me of that scene in swingers. you know which one. I just felt for the guy sitting there watching it with everybody else, his friends, etc. What did Candace think? did she just find out last night with the rest of us?

honeslty, i felt sorry for the guy. But that JP guy was being a royal d!ck to him. I lost a lot of respect for him.

13. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The show just jumped the shark. Tribes were merged. :mad:

14. judodono

judodono Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Bay Area, Ca.
    Club:
    --other--

word ~ no reason to watch anymore. And the first 2 episodes were the only full episodes of Survivor that I had ever watched

15. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Leave it to CBS to take the safe route nowadays.....

Maybe they started to worry about what would happen had a specific ethnicity dominated.....

16. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The tribes merge every season. If anything they waited one extra week to merge compared to last season (If I remember correctly).

I don't understand why the Jonathan/Candice/Becky/Yul pact only reached out to Jessica in the beginning and not Cao Boi as well? By over looking that option I think Becky will continue to be on the block and thanks to Jonathan's terrible attempt to convince Jessica to vote with him he'll be a target too.

17. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Jonathan is a jerk. Cao Boi showed himself to be a little shrewder than he lets on. To me, he is a true 'survivor' in this world. I can only think that Yul and Becky wanted to distance themselves from him because of his annoying habits, or they don't trust him, or something. I was surprised that Cao Boi was the one who appeared to be the one the other side went to (and trusted) to decide who should go. We haven't really had enough challenges to know which of the two women who were on the the block was really 'weaker', but I like Yul, so I'm glad his ally Becky ended up staying. I sort of wished Flicka had been on the block and been voted off. I can't stand wishy-washy 'I just want to be friends with everybody and I hate playing the game' people on this show.

I'm surprised they merged SO early. This was really early. I thought there had been 3 eliminations before the gender/age-segregated tribes got merged last time.

18. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    If, as they claim, each seasons' structure is scripted in advance of the actual developments, then they have to script for extremes. To not merge this week would involve the possibility of going into show four with a tribe of two... and if they wanted to do the water/weight challenge again they sorta had to do it with this many folks; and if they had four seperate losers they might have almost no women left-- or almost no men if the voting broke that way...

Since I thought that was the best challenge ever the first time they ran it, I was glad to see it return but disappointed that the red tribe made such a stupid strategic error in it... Barring the presence of an absolute physical monster like John the fireman, that challenge will always be won by the tribe whose weakest members push themselves hardest-- except when all the weakest members take a dive in a lap or two...

Don't underestimate Flicka; she may well turn out to be among the best players ever. She certainly channelled the vote in this one into a choice that favored her whichever way it went... and cut chicken man off at the knees and confused the hell outta Ozzy in the process, and did it all almost effortlessly and without any appearance of control or decisiveness.. I don't like her at all-- but she's playing with a kind of camouflaged ruthlessness that has to impress anyone whose been watching the game for a lot of episodes. She certainly was being less than sincere in the declamations which bothered you. That girl wants the million a whole bunch, and parts of her remind me of parts of many, maybe most former winners.

She's gonna have real problems come the individual immunity challenges tho'...

19. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Wow. I didn't see it that way at all. But I suppose you could be right. If so, she's definitely fooled ME. I'm not saying she won't go far whether she's playing the game that way or not. I did think it was hiliarious when Jonathan (who, to me, is just a slightly-less-deranged-but-equally-deluded Shane) was telling her how to respond if somebody else approached her, by saying, "I don't know ... or I don't pay attention to that sort of thing", which is pretty much the exact answer she gave HIM. I found it ironic at the time, but maybe that IS a clue that she knows exactly what she's doing.

As for the challenges, she's the rollergirl, right - so she must have SOME physical abilities. Now Parvati .... she bugs me a lot.

20. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Parvati has not shown much except the ability to drool on guys' pecs.

21. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    Pavarti can be protected by the flirting as long as the other girls don't get numbers and she doesn't make it to obvious, which it was last night.

Flicka I think it pretty shrewd, she doesn't piss anyone off and doesn't commit to anything. Jonathan is an idiot, "I can get flicka to do whatever I tell her" type of attitude is exactly when people get blindsided.

Personally I was hoping the vote would go the other way to see if Yul gave her the immunity idol like he said he would. Would have been priceless to have the vote manipulated then flat out slammed by producing the idol.

The Yul group is in the drivers seat now, because they also have Candice on their side and she was off on exile island during the vote. When she got sent you could see Yul's face drop as he realized his 5 person "safety" group was down to a 4-4 vote.

22. Soju Gorae

Soju Gorae New Member

Parvati is very annoying and if she thinks her little flirtacious act isn't transparent to the fellas in the show then she's just going to be digging her own grave. She's already begun digging, in fact.

23. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was a copout to merge this quickly, just like I thought they merged the men's and women's tribes too early, too.

I don't see Flick as a player in this game at all ... people who are out for the experience become a liability. there'll come a point where she'll be of no use to either side because they'll tire of the flipflopping. Instead of waiting around for the other team to corral her, I'd cut her loose asap.

it was NHRef who said: "Flicka I think it pretty shrewd, she doesn't piss anyone off and doesn't commit to anything."

to me, that's why she's dead. if you don't committ you scare people. like it or not, people need to know whose side you're on. how many times have we seen some survivor giving an intereview right before Tribal council talking about how they're the swing vote, they're not sure what they'll do ... those people never win and sometimes are voted off that night. swing votes are never part of a core alliance, which makes the disposable.

two people never fare well in this game: the swing vote and the guy who thinks he's in control.
    the swing vote scares people.
    the guy in control is too blind to see what's going on.

also, doesn't it seem like every week's previews make out coi boi to be on his way out. but he hasn't even come close yet. although that thing with the bird was interesting.

24. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

flirting can get you a little ways ... a bunch of tired, dehydrated guys not thinking straight. but it'll never win you $1 million.

25. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    Not perhaps a clear cut counterexample; but Jenna won...

And Amber and Elizabeth went deep into games... actually Amber won too, didn't she...

Perhaps the outstanding case of swing voting was Boston Rob, who made it to the final two, albeit with no chance of winning. To some extent that group would include Ethan (who won) Tina (who won) and-- I can't say her name, the latina who won Rupert's first go round... Matthew went to the final two...

"Controllers" who won would include Hatch and the used car salesman.

Its an interesting game; there are a lot of different way to go about it...