Survivor: Cook Islands (now with racial profiling!)

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by Ringo, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next Survivor should be couples pitted against each other. Say Tom Cruise vs. Katie Holmes or Nicole Kidman, Bobby Brown vs.Whitney Houston, Brad Pitt vs. Jennifer Aniston, Nick Lachey vs. Jessica Simpson and so on.

2. Soju Gorae

Soju Gorae New Member

Awesome. I am soooo gonna watch it now even though I'm pretty sure the caucasian group will win. How do I know?

America isn't ready to see a minority group win a Darwinian contest. That would just mess with the heads of millions of caucazoids.

3. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    I'm guessing the racially-separated tribe thing will last only a few weeks max just like the separation by age and gender the last time around. They'll have a swap or a merger or something pretty early on. It's still an individual competition of course. None of the segregated tribes will 'win'.

4. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's on.

Come on you crackers!

5. Soju Gorae

Soju Gorae New Member

Nah, it's cracka' ass cracka's

Adding another cracka' gives it more 'oomph.

6. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No doubt.

7. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just read in EW or some other entertainment related magazine that Coca Cola, GM and a couple of other companies have pulled their advertising from CBS during Survivor.

8. Soju Gorae

Soju Gorae New Member

Here's hoping, Soul Glow, Shirakiku Rice Co., El Taurino, replace those three cowardly companies.

9. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

GM, i'm told, pulled out before the cast and their plans were announced. I wouldn't read too much into it.

10. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hmmm.....nothing surprising in the first episode...I actually got the order right during the competition....gonna be interesting to say the least.

I'm loving that cowboy dude with the Asian tribe...

11. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I THOUGHT IT WAS TERRIFIC! They actually cast some pretty interesting people.

12. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Sounds like the Survivor bubble has burst.

13. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Wrong. I believe it was GM who stopped advertising on the show, a decision they made before anyone knew what the season would be about.

14. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    It was a great episode and a much needed kick in the pants for the show's formula. Shame on all those people who protested before they even saw it. It's not they went out and got hate groups to participate. Idiots.

15. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    I speculated the current tribes would only last a few weeks max, but for some reason I was thinking it was still 4 tribes of 4 instead of 4 of 5. Depending on whether one tribe gets on a bad roll - and the Hiki tribe is already at a big disadvantage if there continue to be physical challenges since they started out at 3 women+2 men and are now down to 3/1 - it could last a while longer than that.

Interesting that somebody on the Puka (Asian) tribe mentioned how their tribe is still as diverse as if there were no divisions because there are vastly different Asian cultures represented - Korean, Vietnamese, Filippino, etc. Yet they won the challenge. And I like Cowboy, too, but I wonder how long he'll be around. Funny how he got rid of that guy's headache ...

I hadn't realized there would still be an Exile Island. And it looks WAY more desolate than the one in the last show. That guy deserved it, too, for stealing the chicken (even though rollergirl went and lost it right away).

16. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rollergirl is such a waste. I see her being voted out first if the White tribe loses the immunity challenge and ends up at tribal council. She actually had a split second to close the crate back since the chickens were sleeping. But no! :D

17. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    couple of pre-show predictions that seemed to come true as we watched:

- the "white" tribe would say nothing about cultrual division, standing up for race etc.

- gonna be a "bubba" type in each tribe (chicken Stealer for white's, cowboy for asians, guy who was voted of for black, not sure yet on the latino)

I did like the "cuddle puddle" comment though.

They will merge within the next 2-3 weeks depending on how the challenges go next week. If one tribe goes down 2 people quick, they will adjust the show with a merge of some sort.

18. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Billy (the fat guy) seems pretty 'bubba' to me. :D I laughed when he said the Aitu tribe would have an advantage because they're all from island nations (especially considering he's only ever lived in New York and Miami, according to his CBS Bio). He's pretty funny, but I don't know how long he'll last.

19. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i thought it was a pretty bland opener .... too many characters and too many tribes to keep track of.
    I thought Seku deserved to go just so I had to stop listening to him. Man, when he was talking to that one girl trying to save his hide he was so arrogant for having done nothing but take breaks. He kept talking about how the would get fire without him and wouldn't be able to win anything without him. The man did nothing!
    The other guy on that tribe - Nate? - seems like he's got a bad, mean attitude at times (he's got a hell of a glare). I can't see him lasting too long. the three women seem pretty together and like they could be players.

I'm rooting for yul because he's a local guy.

20. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

:confused:

how so? they found new sponsors, the show still gets good ratings. why do so many people seem so eager for this show to fail?

21. TheSlipperyOne

TheSlipperyOne Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Denver
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So GM stopped before.

Did you see any Coke ads?

22. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Needless to say, this thread will be under mod scrutiny. So far, so good. Keep up the good work.

23. taosjohn

taosjohn Member+

Dec 23, 2004
    taos,nm
    GM stopped (as I hear it) because the show wasn't much of a venue for car consciousness even with giveaways. They got involved before anyone understood the nature of the show very well, and stayed involved because its hard to give up on a hit...

Coke, I would guess, gave up because it really kind of generated an unavoidable negative placement on their products... when ever anyone won Coke in a challenge the viewer was kind of forced into this "These people don't need sugar water they need protein and vitamins and..." awareness; which no matter what you think of carbonated beverages isn't exactly fair to the product.

I thought it was one of the best installments ever; I found it much easier to get a sense of the players early in the show, I found that I got attached to favorites much earlier than usual, that the opening scene was just way better done and effective than ever before, and so on.

I thought that the racial separation thing worked much as I had expected-- just a convention in a game that fiddles with its conventions all the time; it revealed more about how unimportant such distinctions are than how meaningful, while at the same time it wasn't entirely irrelevant.

I did wonder if losing the first challenge might have been an advantage as much as a disadvantage-- the guy that's gone wasn't gonna do much for them if anything, they only lost fire for a few hours, and had they chosen the right guy to send to exile island they might have gotten real mileage out of that privilege. I probably would have chosen Billy on the theory that he'd be worthless after a cold hungry night and wouldn't find the II. But one could pick other folks who actually might find it-- just to mess with their tribes' voting dynamic... picking a guy because he stole a chicken didn't seem to be the best course...

I did think it kind of curious that the Afro-American tribe kind of recapitulated one of the myths... the guys did all the posturing and claimed the credit while the women stayed in the background and controlled the real decisions... or was that just my 50's honky raising doing the seeing?

And boy the guy that's out has really mastered self-deception, hasn't he? I couldn't help but wonder who plays with him and how rapid the turnover is...

24. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

no, but I have a tivo, so I didn't see any ads. :D

25. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My wife and I both commented that he was the bullshit artist supreme. Yeah, I'll get you fire. How long did it take no thanks to him or his lazy ass.