Alert: Surprise Callup for World Cup 2014

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Kirsten19, Dec 17, 2013.

?

Who do u prefer as a "surprise Callup" ?

1. Kevin Grosskreutz

10.0%
  2. Pierre Lasogga

35.0%
  3. Kevin Volland

5.0%
  4. Tony Jantschke

5.0%
  5. Timo Werner

20.0%
  6. Serge Gnabry

20.0%
  7. Jonathan Tah

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Matthias Ginter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Sebastian Jung

5.0%
  10. Bastian Oczipka

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lasogga should go to the WC if healthy.

Haven't seen Baier play really, so can't comment on him. But if his role is anything like Lahm's at Bayern, we should be looking into it. @SirManchester, as someone who has always advocated Lahm's position change from the start and found his game most suitable first on this board, have you seen any of Augsburg and Baier's game that you'd like to provide insight on?

Geis is the next great German CM IMO, but he needs a bit more experience and growth before we call him up.

Not really sold on Can yet to be honest. But I wouldn't be opposed to calling him up; as good an option as any IMO.

Haven't seen him, can't comment.

I think Kramer offers real defensive stability and I'd feel comfortable in bringing him along as a pure destroyer to add a different faucet to our game that we can utilize if Sven remains unfit.

2. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Contento is Italian and German IIRC. Neither NT has called him up yet though.

3. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Durm was terrible last game Vs Stuttgart. Absolutely terrible

4. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Durm was terrible last game Vs Stuttgart. Absolutely terrible

5. Coldblood6

Coldblood6 Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    With the exception of Lasogga and Can I haven't seen much of these guys either but I'm used their statistical performance analysis on whoscored, as well as 'team of the week' appearances and evaluations on various websites.

I agree with you that once Lasogga is fit he should go. I also agree with you that Geis is the next great German CM, probably alongside Goretzka. I actually have Baier in my squad despite his lack of international exposure; his stats are just too good, and Pep's vote of approval is golden IMO.

Andre Hahn: a clinical finisher from midfield, who is also very defensively potent. He has one tremendous weakness; he is a poor passer. I was really disappointed that Low didn't actually play him in the friendly against Chile. Given his strengths I see him as the ideal person to bring on in place of an attacker with weak defensive abilities when we are defending a narrow lead close to the end of a match. He provides good defensive contributions without sacrificing goalscoring potential in such situations. We would not be playing a passing/possession game at that point anyway so his passing weakness should not hurt.

Kevin Volland: I know a lot of people here and elsewhere rate this guy highly but all I remember is him looking really crappy in the under-21 Euros, and his whoscored stats are only decent (those I've listed are much better). Am I being too harsh?

6. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Any thoughts on Timo Werner? I know he has been Benched lately n last week he played for Stuttgart II (finally played at his favorite position at CF n scored)

What's his statistical performance analysis like?

I've had a conversation with him earlier today. He is working hard for his Abitur and he actually told me LW is not his natural position but he need to wait

7. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Absolutely. Volland is a solid, versatile attacker that is intelligent in his movement and decisions yet direct and a above-average finisher. He's only gotten better since the U-21s, and he makes stuff happen whenever I've watched him. I'm unfamiliar with whoscored's assessments, but on pure eye test, I say he's the real deal.

8. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Whether or not Baier is good enough (Don't think he is world class but more like a Rolfes - functional, and leader figure) he doesn't play at the highest level and for that position it's simply too big of a risk to invest in.

What an odd suggestion in the first place.

I do like Geis though. very interesting player.

9. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund

As I said, a good mixture of a traditional 9 (strong physique, good finishing, powerful) n a false 9 (pace, skill, creativity n mobility)

10. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    So Erik Durm or Andreas Beck?

11. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Durm right now in his form.

12. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I know it doesnt matter much as Kevin Grosskreutz will most likely start. Doesnt make sense to have two international rookie starting at defense for ur world cup team

Most likely:

------Lahm------Mertesacker-------Boateng------Grosskreutz
    ---------------------Khedira---------Schweinsteiger
    ----------------------------------Kroos

Or else

-----Grosskreutz--Mertesacker----Hummels-----Boateng
    -----------------------------------Lahm
    -------------------------Schweini-------Kroos

13. Coldblood6

Coldblood6 Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Timo looked really impressive early on in the season and I'm already becoming a big fan. However recently he hasn't been that impressive. The talent is obviously there and just needs to develope. I don't think he is ready for this WC. I'm predicting next season will be his true breakout season in the Bundesliga (if Stuttgart survive! If they do get relegated I would love them to loan him out to a Bundesliga club like BVB) Depending on how Lasogga developes Timo might be Germany's foremost striker at the 2014 Euro's.

14. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Played a great game coming off the bench the week before along with Maxim.

In a better situation than Ducksch n Schweidhauer(15 goals in last 10 games for Wolfsburg II), Fuellkrug n Selke at least he is given chance in the first team and able to start at his natural position at CF, and even ahead of Ibisevic n Abdellaou already

I think next season will be breakout season for him and Ginczek.

Werner reminds me too much of Michael Owen n some of Ulf Kirsten. A pure poacher.

Strikers are rarely given chance. Not expecting Philipp Ochs or Eggestein to have such clear path as Timo Werner has. Even Ducksch struggled a lot