Alert: Surprise Callup for World Cup 2014

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Kirsten19, Dec 17, 2013.

?

Who do u prefer as a "surprise Callup" ?

1. Kevin Grosskreutz

10.0%
  2. Pierre Lasogga

35.0%
  3. Kevin Volland

5.0%
  4. Tony Jantschke

5.0%
  5. Timo Werner

20.0%
  6. Serge Gnabry

20.0%
  7. Jonathan Tah

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Matthias Ginter

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Sebastian Jung

5.0%
  10. Bastian Oczipka

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If Lasogga is in better form than Gomez at end of season, I don't see why he shouldn't be included over the more experienced striker.

2. rj123

rj123 Member

The team with the most German NT players
    Germany
    Nov 21, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It will be interesting to see if Loew calls him up for the Chile friendly. That would be a time to see how well he fit with the rest of the team.

3. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I think Loew will call up two strikers, Klose will be included as long as he isnt injured; n he may prefer Max Kruse ahead of Lasogga since Kruse has more experience at the international level.

Nonetheless, Kruse has been in poor form lately, hasnt scored in 6 consecutive weeks and his skill-set is too similar to Goetze/Reus/Mueller which doesnt bring anything new/lacked to the current NT roster. We need more efficiency inside the penalty box, better positioning, lethality, back-to-goal, finishing and size. Kruse isnt any better than what we have in those regards.

BTW, http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archive/-sanogo-has-become-a-different-animal-

Arsene Wenger disagrees with the myth of "expereince is important for strikers". He said

I agree, playing as a striker is an instinctive job and form/conditions is more important than expereince.

If i'm Loew, i'll take Lasogga ahead of Kruse any day of the year.

Expereince is more important for defenders, so maybe we'll less likely to see Sebastian Jung, Jantschke, Knoche (phenomenal season) or Ginter being callep up as the "surprise newcomer"

4. Coldblood6

Coldblood6 Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Yes. I really hope he does. Low can be very fustrating. His favouritism, overhyping of international experience, and tendency to take long to call up new playesr can be really annoying. Lasogga really should be given a chance against Chile. He needs to remember that Thomas Muller only had 2 internationals beneath his belt before he became a star of the 2010 WCorld Cup.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  5. Coldblood6

Coldblood6 Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Unfortunately Low might not see it that way.

6. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    #31 Kirsten19, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
    At this stage, it will be ridiculous to have Kruse or Gomez ahead of Lasogga in the pecking order. Loew isn't stupid, he had an issue with Kiessling doesn't mean he isn't watching Bundesliga no more

Kruse is really struggling, not just the fact that he hasn't been scoring for months, it's his game which doesn't bring any new elements or dimension to our current setup. How is he different to Thomas Mueller, Reus or Goetze? I even think Volland, who is a lot more physical(chiseled frame) and clinical, is a better option than Kruse at this stage

7. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I would still take Kruse though. Preferably over Sam. He just is more mature than a Volland for example and plays in a better set up under a better coach and is a leader figure with some time in the NT.

8. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    We have many AMs who can temporarily fill the spot as a false 9. I dont see what makes Kruse different to what Mueller/Reus/Goetze can provide. He isnt a better finisher than Mueller for example and isnt a better creator than Reus/Goetze. There is always a misunderstanding that Kruse is fast and skilled, but in fact he isnt

Cant win the tourney with same types of attackers, what if false 9 doesnt work against certain opponents? What if the opponenet's defense is weak at aarial and we wanna take advantage of it up top? Whats the plan B?

We need different elements and skill-set in the roster, someone who can bring another dimension when needed. Not just skilled, creative AMs as false 9. Klose is supposedly a plan B, but he isnt relaible anymore n is very injury prone these days;

Lasogga is a perfect fit, transfermarkt forum call him the "mittelding" between Gomez n Klose, more skilled, mobile, creative and versatile than Gomez while having better strength, physique and form than Klose. And what makes it more perfect is not only his lethality n "nose for goals"but also the NT lacked his back-to-goal ability, determination/"fire" and winner mentality up front.

Kruse may be ahead of Volland in Loew's pecking order, but i also think Volland's strength, chiseled frame (better hold-up game?), ability to score off dribble (better first-touch finishing), positioning and ability to "bang" inside the penalty box may make him different to Kruse.

We were crying for a Suarez type mobile forward for Germany. I think Volland's game is pretty similar to Suarez/Aguero/Rooney/Tevez with some Soldado/Giuseppe Rossi

9. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well if it's between Kruse and Lasogga and both are on top form, I would probably also go with the latter but my argument was in case it doesn't come down between these two.

Also, I would only take Lasogga if he gets call up between now and then for friendlies and does well.

10. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I am expecting Lasogga to play 2-3 friendlies to adapt and learn then start to perform better later on and hopefully in the World Cup.

So realistically, i am not expecting him to play the first game and score a hattrick for the NT. I think the most likely scenario for Lasogga will be: Klose/Goetze starts at CF, Lasogga coming off the bench after 70min. But after 3 NT friendlies, i may have another expectation but its all hypothetical at this stage

Remember 1/2 years ago, we were hoping for a mobile yet clinical striker like Suarez/Aguero? I think Volland is the man. His game reminds me of a poor man's Suarez, but with huge upside given his age. Volland is pretty much a mixture of Suarez/Aguero/Rooney/Tevez with a bit of Soldado/G. Rossi

11. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I hope to see him get the chance, definitely.

I agree on Volland. Think Liverpool would even be smart to go after him when they lose Suarez. Might be a bit early for Löw though considering he will stay after World Cup [unfortunately] but we can only hope for early as possible integration.

12. HSV-Jung

HSV-Jung Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Frankfurt
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Here's a posting from the Spox daily news ticker:

http://www.spox.com/de/sport/fussba...r-bremen-derby-tim-wiese-1899-hoffenheim.html

Kader für Testspiel gegen Chile
    Neben vier Debütanten und Rückkehrer Schweinsteiger, setzt sich der Kader der deutschen Nationalmannschaft für den Test gegen Chile wie folgt zusammen:

Tor: Manuel Neuer (Bayern München), Roman Weidenfeller (Borussia Dortmund)

Abwehr: Jerome Boateng (Bayern München), Matthias Ginter (SC Freiburg), Kevin Großkreutz (Borussia Dortmund), Marcell Jansen (Hamburger SV), Philipp Lahm (Bayern München), Shkodran Mustafi (Sampdoria Genua), Per Mertesacker (FC Arsenal), Marcel Schmelzer (Borussia Dortmund)

Mittelfeld: Lars Bender (Bayer Leverkusen), Andre Hahn (FC Augsburg), Mario Götze, Toni Kroos, Bastian Schweinsteiger (alle Bayern München), Mesut Özil, Lukas Podolski (beide FC Arsenal), Andre Schürrle (FC Chelsea), Sidney Sam (Bayer Leverkusen)

Angriff: Pierre-Michel Lasogga (Hamburger SV), Miroslav Klose (Lazio Rom)

13:24 Uhr
    Vierfaches Debüt im DFB-Kader

Am kommenden Mittwoch trifft die Auswahl von Jogi Löw im Testspiel auf Chile. Mit Matthias Ginter vom SC Freiburg, Shkodran Mustafi von Sampdoria Genua, Pierre-Michel Lasogga vom Hamburger SV und der Augsburger Andre Hahn, sind gleich vier Debütanten dabei. "Shkodran Mustafi und Matthias Ginter hatten wir auch schon über die U21 im Blick, sie haben sich genauso wie Pierre-Michel Lasogga und Andre Hahn ihre Nominierungen absolut verdient. Ich freue mich darauf, sie kennenzulernen und im Kreis der Nationalmannschaft zu erleben", so Löw. Nachdem er in den vergangenen Wochen viele Gespräche geführt habe, möchte er die Möglichkeit nutzen und Alternativen ausprobieren. "Daher haben wir uns entschieden, neue Gesichter zu uns zu holen, die in den vergangenen Wochen und Monaten in ihren Vereinen konstant gute Leistungen gezeigt haben", so der Bundestrainer weiter. Neben den vier Debütanten feiert auch Bastian Schweinsteiger seine Rückkehr.

I'm amazed, this selection provides a strong indication as to Loew's weighting of experience vs. current performance. I've never even heard anyone mention Hahn as a potential callup, but he is right now the third most successful German striker after Lasogga (who for some reason I have misspelled with two s in all prior posts) and Kießling. This may mean he will start Lasogga. I must admit I've heard the name Shkodran Mustafi before, but he was never on my radar for the world cup. Is he playing like a super season at Genova?

13. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    He was a HSV player from 14 to 17 years old then he moved to Everton

Around November, Sampdoria were in the bottom 3 of Serie A but since then they've started picking up a lot of points and have kept a lot of clean sheets(at least against the teams around them but have lost against the top teams). Mustafi has been getting one of the best ratings from Sampdoria's players( a few Man of the Match awards). 2 weeks ago, I saw that he was even the captain of the team which is surprising because he's youngest player in the starting eleven and because he's been in Italy for only 2 years(probably doesn't speak Italian very well). Sampdoria are now 12th in the league, 10 points ahead of the relegation zone.

14. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What position does Mustafi play? If he is a RB or LB, then it definitely makes sense why Loew called him up for this friendly.

15. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Believe it's centre back !

16. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Interesting. It makes sense given the terrible form that Westerman is in, the Hummels injury issues, and the fact that Hoewedes is basically only playing RB at the moment.

I expect that the starting center backs will be Boateng and Mertesacker, but that leaves only Hummels as a competition for on of those spots, and we should not head to a WC with only 3 CBs in the squad.

17. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    Mustafi is a CB but he's played at right back before (like Hoewedes, Boateng and Westermann). He's obviously not a natural full back. He is a bit short for a CB - 184cm. He is quick and is a proactive defender (like Hummels and Boateng).

18. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    All I can think of is that he is called as a possible young player to bring along to the WM to gain experiece. That's probably also the reasoning behind the Ginter call-up.

19. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    #44 Kirsten19, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
    Sebastian Jung or Erik Durm?

I like what I saw from Durm so far but Jung has been playing well for Frankfurt as well, even in the Europa Cup.

With all these injuries, probably both will be called up for the next friendly.

With Gomez and Klose injured and Lasogga is just recovering and finding his old form, will the ultimate surprise of this team be Kiessling?

Looks like this is too early for Timo Werner. He is like the 4th striker option now and Vfb Stuttgart are playing with just one starting CF

20. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If I had to choose my WC squad tonight, this is the team I'd choose;
    GK: Manuel Neuer, Roman Weidenfeller, Marc-Andre ter Stegen
    RB: Sebastian Jung, Kevin Großkreutz
    CB: Jerome Boateng, Per Mertesacker, Mats Hummels, Robin Knoche
    LB: Kevin Großkreutz, Erik Durm
    DM: Phillip Lahm, Sven Bender
    CM: Bastian Schweinsteiger, Mario Götze, Toni Kroos, Lars Bender, Mesut Özil
    RW: Thomas Müller, Mario Götze
    LW: Marco Reus, Julian Draxler
    ST: Kevin Volland, Max Kruse
    Thoughts?

21. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Sven Bender will be out till season ends, very unlikely.

Robin Knoche is good but ahead of Howedes and Ginter? I m not sure. Afterall, this is only Knoche's first professional season n he may well be a one-season-wonder

Lasogga's injury is not serious, may prefer him to Max Kruse. I think Kruse's function is a bit similar to Thomas Müller, Mario Götze and Reus. I bit undersized/skinny for the position to play inside the box, has no back-to-goal ability and inst a very consistent finisher.

No Schürrle? He is doing fine for Chelsea i think

22. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    GK: Manuel Neuer, Roman Weidenfeller, Marc-Andre ter Stegen
    RB: Phillip Lahm, ,Lars Bender
    CB: Jerome Boateng, Per Mertesacker, Mats Hummels, Gintner
    LB: Kevin Großkreutz,Contento
    DM: Bastian Schweinsteiger, Khedira,
    CM: Mario Götze, Toni Kroos, Mesut Özil, ?
    RW: Thomas Müller, Schurrle
    LW: Marco Reus, Julian Draxler
    ST: Gomez and Poldi
    One spot open ...

23. Coldblood6

Coldblood6 Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Given the tremendous injury crisis amongst the top German players, the National World Cup squad will be HUGELY influenced by who reaches that time fit. Some players who don't have significant international experience may have to be called up. The problem is one can never tell who is going to be suited to international football. Some are fantastic club players but never adapt to the international game whilst others adapt with lightning speed. These are some that should be considered:

Pierre-Michel Lasogga: So far no international exposure but he has been very good at club level and in combination with the paucity of strikers and the physical characteristics and skill set that set him apart from the rest make him a likely candidate. He seems incredibly injury prone however, and that has me a bit worried. What I really like about him is that he seems to be a 'big game player'. He scores against all the big teams and his a 'never give up' mentality. These are sorely needed at the NT level.

Daniel Baier: Unrecognised by Low for some strange reason, probably his age; he's 29, a late re-bloomer. He's been fantastic this season for Augsburg. His defensive stats are nothing short of amazing, and he's accostumed to playing the single pivot in the 4-1-4-1. Even Pep commented on how fantastic a player he is.

Johannes Geis: A breakout player this season with great stats and a wide and deep skill set. Has 'key passes' as a strength from DM. Very good defensively also.

Emre Can: His performences when playing at LB for Leverkusen are really good, some key games in the CL aside, but those are entire team collapses. Needs to work on his discipline though; it's a liability.

Shkodran Mustafi: His growth over the last year at CB has been incredible. He's the 10th highest rated player in Serie A at whoscored, and the 3rd highest rated defender! That's in the Italian league which emphasizes defending. The only question relates to the fact that Serie A standards are significantly lower than the top 3 leagues.

Christoph Kramer: An incredible workhorse in the midfield; something that may be important in the Brazil climate. Very good defensively, but not so good in supporting the attack IMO.

I have a feeling that footballing intelligence and natural ability to read the game and other players is key in a players abaility to adapt quickly to the international game. This is why Thomas Muller and Mesut Ozil did it so quickly. Whom amongst these has that ability???

24. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Okay, take out Sven then and put in Kramer.

Knoche is having a better season than Gïnter and Höwedes, who has suffered from injury this season.

I'd be willing to take out Kruse and put in Lasogga if Lasogga gets healthy. Until then Kruse I think is a good versatile backup guy to take along.

Schürrle is too inconsistent of a finisher, and doesn't really add enough outside of goals due to his Podolski-esque tendency to prefer direct play over link-up.

25. BorisG

BorisG Member+

Sep 30, 2009
    Namibia
    Club:
    FC Nürnberg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Whats with Contento at left back.. or is he Italian?