Surfing and related

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by dreamer, Jul 13, 2005.

1. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004
    I don't have a clue about surfing but have always found it fascinating. So I thought maybe I could start a thread about it. What's a good beach for surfing? What equipment do I need? Should I take my girl along? What if there's a shark chasing me? Any etiquette I should be aware of when dealing with other surfers? That kind of things.

2. _chachi

_chachi New Member

Mar 15, 1999
    new jersey, usa
    take a lesson. you'll get all the equipment you need for the day as well as some (hopefully) good instruction.

3. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    It´s alot of fun. But it´s not as easy as it looks. If you really get into it, it´ll become a lifestyle.

That´s a tough question to answer. Where do you live?

That depends again on where you live. Do you live near Cold water or Warm Water? What kind of coast line do you live near?

Absolutely.

That´s a myth. There are shark attacks sure, but very few a year, and very rarely fatal. Worry more about the Wave size and Currents, than the fish.

Start slow and take some lessons. Soon you´ll make friends that share your similar interest in the sport. you´ll learn the etiquette as you stumble along. But the most important thing is have fun.

One suggestion: Maybe you should start body boarding first, so you can learn to read the waves and the conditions.

4. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don't surf, but some friends of mine do.
    The French Atlantic ocean coast is supposed to be great for wave riding, Biscarros is where my friends usually go.
    Wind surfing I know a couple of spots:
    My dad used to surf at the Odertalsperre in the Harz mountains, Germany (But I think it was because it was close:) )
    Another lake is the Garda Lake in northern italy, supposed to be great. Also to mention: German coastline Baltic and Northern Sea and the Greek island Rhodos...

But I guess you can't compare any of that spots to Hawaii...

5. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    bodysurfing is a lot of fun.

no real equipment needed (although fins are suggested).

the coast here is... well... its good for it, but the swell sucks unless there is a hurricane, and it doesnt really start working until the fall season, which might be just as well cause thats when the ********s from jersey and PA go home... :D

but yeah, wave riding of any type is a blast.

6. dreamer

dreamer Member

Aug 4, 2004
    East Coast.

I think I'll take some lessons and see how it goes first.

7. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    That certainly narrows things down. :rolleyes:

Good Idea. Take some lessons.

8. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's always looked insanely difficult to me.

I really want to try it. I live about 60 miles from the Atlantic coast of Florida (Cocoa Beach, etc.)

9. Green Tabasco

Green Tabasco New Member

May 3, 2003
    It is difficult. But like all sports, the difficulty depends on the athletecism of the participant. I´ve been surfing since I was 12. At one point, during my high school years I was considered very good. Now, like all things, the body slows down, the responsibilities increase and the wave count drops. But I still try to be in the water 3 times a week (when I´m not traveling). It´s still a blast, and it´s fun to help and watch the younger kids tear it up.

Cocoa beach is FLA´s Surf Capital. 6 time ASP World Champ Kelly Slater grew up there. You will definately find someone there to give you lessons.

Cheers.

10. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you get the Fuel network on your cable you can check out some competitions as well as some surf documentaries (like the classic Endless Summer).

K