sure sign andrulis is an idiot...

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by fidlerre, Jul 30, 2002.

1. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    quote from today's dispatch article by craig:

"Jeff (Cunningham) needs to play,'' Andrulis said. "We have one of the best forwards in the league. We have to find him playing time.''

okay, smarty pants. you are the coach, you are the one who continues to put him in at the end of games with 10 minutes left. you have only one person to blame for him not finding playing time, yourself!

f***ing idiot.

2. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good lord, our coach is pathetic

Alright, you know there is something wrong with your team's coach when he is quoted saying:

"Jeff needs to play,'' Andrulis said. "We have one of the best forwards in the league. We have to find him playing time.''

It's sad that our leading scorer hasn't started since the 4th of July, and I'm sickened by the stat that he has only played 39 minutes in our last four games (which is a minimum of 360 minutes, not including OT and stoppage time). I'm not a huge fan of JC, and I'm one the boat that says he's a lazy mofo and needs to hustle more off of the ball, BUT I still know that you need to play your best offensive weapon if you want to fukking WIN.

I'm sick of this crap from Andrulis. I want a new coach next season. How about somebody with some confidence and knowledge of how to maybe... uh... field a team? That would be a nice change.

Final thoughts, the article from the dispatch also shows that our 4 forwards combine for 22 of 27 goals this season, mids have 3, D have 2. The problem is, there are 4 forwards, and we only play 2 at a time... somebody else find this counter productive?

If DC wants Gazza and they want a forward, then I feel we have some chips to off, but they better put something hella good on the table. I want a starting defender, like Reyes, Prideaux (sp?), or Pope (a bit fragile perhaps) AND their #1 pick. Then they can have Gazza and whichever forward Andrulis deems to be worthy of moving on.

3. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hehehe, nice post... good timing.

hey mods, could you combine our two threads, since they're the same material started minutes apart? thanks.

5. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    (I'm assuming that our beloved moderator-type-guys will combine these threads, so I'll post here and hope for the best)

The Dispatch article actually points out a real problem, ie. lack of production from the midfield.

Last summer, the team hot streak coincided with Mais getting red hot. In fact, he was MLS "Player of the Month" in August mostly for popping a bunch into the net.

Our forwards really are not doing that badly. Our middies are coming up short.

As for Cunningham, he had some goals early, yes, and I give him his due, but he's still got the same problems he has always had and which have been debated here so much they don't really need repeating.

HOWEVER, I think that he's being used in ABOUT the right way, except that he's being brought in too late. Somehow, putting him in at 86 minutes ain't gonna do a damn thing.

And if you DO start him, then a month later we can write this same piece about Washington. "Dante needs to get some PT, man. Can't score on the bench"

Ideally, given our current personnel, I still think you start DW and let him abuse and muscle up the defenders for 50-60 minutes. The added advantage is that he also takes a lot of the physical pounding that otherwise would be directed at BMB.

Then you bring in Cunningham. Fresh legs, speed to burn, doing his thing as the defense starts to slow down. We've seen it a few times and it works.

So basically I agree with both sides - no, I wouldn't start Jeffrey, but I sure would get him in sooner. Otherwise he really IS being wasted.

6. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hurray! at least the Crew mods get useful things done, as opposed to the Crew front office.

8. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe you're onto something here; Splarg for GM, Foos for Coach, Plow for Director of Player Personnel and Toon for Stadium Manager.

Somebody call Hunt Sports.

9. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bailey for Chief Beer Taster

Eggy for Crewzers Manager

10. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh why can't I find Lamar's number when I need it. I could have sworn I had it somewhere in this damn wallet!

all joking aside. I really believe we have an amateur coach at best... maybe high school level. why does nobody have the stones to realize this and give him the axe?

11. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    the sad thing is he has a two year contract. we could lose every game to the end of the season and he would get another year to attempt to right the ship. I honestly see no way he will be fired this year.

12. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    I tend to agree here. The Crew's biggest problem in goal scoring is lack of a dangerous attacking midfielder. By dangerous here, I mean the ability to create scoring opportunities for both himself and his teammates. Playing a system that features only 2 forwards who can score from the run of play produces exactly the results the Crew have seen this season.
    What the Crew misses is the attacking midfielder who can provide the proper linkage between the backs (who can't play quality balls over 10 yards) and the attacking players, and figure in the attacks himself: and Wilmar Perez is not the answer.
    Case in point- the DC United game. Columbus defended well enough in that game and every time the Crew wanted to start an attack by changing the field, Perez was no where to be found. As result, the Crew were limited to pure counterattacks, which frankly, MLS teams are accustomed to defending.

13. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
  14. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are nice. I'd like another myself.

15. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do have a title under my belt as a coach. True, I was just an assistant, and true, it's only the Columbus City League, but it is a high school level boys soccer championship.

Oh, and I'm undefeated as head coach at the reserve level (1-0-0).

There's never been a better time! ;)

16. swittler

swittler Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Columbus
  17. Chris_Bailey

Chris_Bailey Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Chicago
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Yeah, but I found them for like 20 on ebay. 25 on other sites...

Thanks for the email though.

18. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's ok, if you want to see Newcastle United play in Columbus every Saturday.

19. Plowmanoo

Plowmanoo New Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Because having a top Premiership side would be so horrible.

Besides, Toon is only in charge of the stadium, Splarg, Foos and myself are the real decision makers!

20. Sally Struthers

Sally Struthers New Member

Oct 24, 2001
    Beautiful LA
    Be careful comparing prices on the MLS Biederlack blankets-

They come in two sizes - 60 X 50 and 60 X 80. Usually the bigger one is ten dollars more.

The bigger ones are really nicer, cause you can use them on a big bed or can really cover up on the coach or whatever. The smaller one is good for the stadium but not really useful otherwise. :)

21. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump.

Doing a little reading of years past and came across this little gem. Has it really been two full years that we've been moaning and b!tching about him??

22. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's really sad is seeing that the problems we saw then are still the problems that we have now, except that our forwards aren't scoring either anymore.

23. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that was the most depressing 2 1/2 minutes I've spent in a long, long time.